RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

General Medical Question - Urgent - Blurred vision - UPDATED WITH NEW PROBLEM

On Sunday I got a fair amount of Head and Shoulders shampoo into my eyes while showering. It was rather painful and I tried rinsing it in the shower. They were feeling a bit better once I got out.

However during the whole of Monday my eyes were hurting and red and I had blurry vision.

Today my eyes don't hurt and are only a bit painful but I still have blurry vision, as well as some degree of double vision which comes and goes.

I have bad short-sightedness and astigmatism, but these glasses are very new. My sight was measured by an opthalmologist, not an optician, and he is one of the best in the area. So I doubt it's the glasses.

And my medications don't cause double vision, I checked in my textbooks.

So what is your opinion about my blurred vision/double vision?

Last edited by Steel Maiden : 21-03-2011 at 09:36 PM.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

One Hug Given By:
Old 15-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Confused_Reality

The fact that you got copious amounts of shampoo in your eyes does sound slightly suspect... Maybe go to the chemists and try and get some eye wash and give that a go? I dont really know, its just a suggestion.

Old 16-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

I agree that it sounds like its cuz you got shampoo in your eyes and maybe you werent able to get it all out?

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

Old 16-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
akita

I am currently:

Do an eye bath with saline from the chemist and see if that helps.

Old 16-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Steel Maiden

Good idea. I went to Boots with my support worker after uni yesterday but they had no saline, eye drops or anything. So I will have to get my friend to investigate. Thanks

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 16-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Animad

See if they have Optrex eye washes, they normally do. Other than that they will almost definitely have saline, even if it's not strictly for that use.

Really though, I wouldn't think this in itself would cause double vision. It would cause your eyes to become inflamed and could potentially cause ulcers (little holes) developing on the surface of your cornea which could lead to problems and something that some eye drops could worsen; any with steroids in. But, like I said, this doesn't fit with your description. Also, you have to be VERY careful if using the shower to bathe your eyes; the pressure is often too high and that in itself can cause more damage, especially if there is already some shampoo or other substance in there and can lead to more damage. An ulcer could potentially cause blurred vision though as the cornea is the main thing that focusses the light (the lens only fine tunes it) and so if there is an ulcer there then it could lead to this. Though, I'm not saying this is definitely the case.

Medication affecting the brain can lead to double vision/ blurred vision. It may not be a listed side effect but it is possible as the chemicals in your brain alter how you percieve things. Also, other things such tiredness or stress as well as headaches or eye strain can cause this. Sometimes migraines present purely as this and then go away. Concussion can also do this.

If your eyes worsen at all/ there is a blueish appearance to the eye itself (like the whole eye)/ the surface doesn't look totally clear or smooth then you need to get them checked out. If your eye goes blue or it looks really bad then go to A&E straight away.

Old 16-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Steel Maiden

Thank you for the advice Animad. I will look for the eye drops. I will look after my eyes. I suppose it could be medication due to the fact that the aripiprazole has been introduced recently, and now I remember that when I was on it on a higher dose two years ago I had visual symptoms (one of which felt like I was blinking my eyes at times)

Old 17-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Steel Maiden

I feel REALLY ill.

I'm sorry for posting again, but my previous post here was about blurry eyes, and that is now only one of my probelms

I feel really ill

Here's a list of what I am feeling today:

- Bad double vision and blurriness
- Diarrhoea
- Bad nausea
- Headache
- Dizziness
- Bouts of confusion
- Sweating/feeling hot no matter how much I open the window
- Bad drowsiness
- Inability to think properly
- Sometimes I get tremors in my hands
- LIGht-headedness
- Trouble with co-ordination
- stiff muscles
- Vertigo at times
-some breathing diffictulty

Sorry that's such a long list. itsgetting worse than before. Yesterday i just felt tired and a bit sick but todya i can barely function. I went to uni by taxi but had to take the underground home and then walk, and i nearly collapsed during my walk

What shall i do? Any ideas what is going on? I've got an important test tomorrow

I dont have a thermometer but my forehead feels v hot

Last edited by Steel Maiden : 17-03-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added a point

Old 17-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Steel Maiden

sorry ot add but my muscles are messed up, my legs are stiff and they fele like theyre contracting when theyre not and my coordination is messed up

Old 17-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

Hi Oly, I am not a doctor but the muscle stiffness and high temperature sound like it could be an adverse reaction to your antipsychotic medications (neuroleptic malignant syndrome)...please, talk to a doctor as soon as possible. Take care, Laurie

The freshly qualified Psycho-Pharmacologist who is taking psychiatric medications herself.

I am currently a postgraduate student in Psychiatric Research.

Old 17-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Steel Maiden

ty laurie i thought of nms but does nms come on suddenlyor is it insidious? my gp surgery is 3 miles away but i might trycalling nhs direct but ive never done that before and i havea phone phobia sorry for bad typingbut i feel a bit delirious andconfused

Old 17-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Fry

I am currently:

If you really don't want to use the phone, go to A&E.
NHS Direct would probably advise the same anyway.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Old 17-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

NMS could happen any time during the treatment in theory, but normally within 2 weeks of commencing treatment. The actual symptoms can occur suddenly. I suspect it has something to do with the aripiprazole...however, you really need to contact a doctor asap. This sounds serious. Do you have a phone number for the GP surgery?

The freshly qualified Psycho-Pharmacologist who is taking psychiatric medications herself.

Old 17-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

Yes A&E may be the best idea. Please call 999 if symptoms persist, and explain to the ambulance crew about what medications you are on.

Just remembered- it could be related to anticholinergics such as procyclidine as well. I strongly suspect this is medication-related....

Last edited by LaurieR : 17-03-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: To add more

Old 17-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Steel Maiden

ty so much laurie i havent taken procyclidin for 3 days now
ive gcalled my friend c and hes callinghte carer to come over here

Old 17-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

Okay good. Please take care. Let me know how you get on.

Last edited by LaurieR : 17-03-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: to add again

Old 17-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
Steel Maiden

ty
carer wouldnt come but told me to call gp
i have phone call phobia so cant do that
so my friend iscomig from work to see me and help me
im scared to go to a&e as i have badmemories from there

Old 17-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
Fry

I am currently:

Can understand the negative memories thing but you do sound ill enough to need to go there.
Perhaps your friend could take you / be with you or she / he could phone the hospital directly to ask advice. I hope you get better soon either way.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Old 17-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

Why wouldn't the carer come? I understand why you don't want to go to A&E, but as suggested above maybe your friend can stay with you?

Old 17-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
Steel Maiden

I'm typing thisfrom my phone cos can't get to laptop
The carer came he thinks I have flu and has goneto buy me soup
My friend is comimng over soon
I'm really confused sometimes don't know where I am

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)