RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #1
zivalover16

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - individual at work

I work in a house for mentally and developmentally challenged adults. Most of them are harmless and I love working with and taking care of. There is one guy there who doesn't belong in this particular house. He has autism and other things. He can get kinda of violent. He goes after 2 people, trying to hug them and be on them, all the time. One yells and the other just sits there. The reason I am posting this is because he also touches staff. They go to a program during the day. I am on the shift that picks them up at the end of the day. When he gets on the bus a staff member has to sit on the outside and him on the inside. It doesn't take long before he starts staring at you and starts to try and touch. Particularly in the chest area.... As of right now there is only 1 male staff who is day shift and leaves before it's time to pick him up. On the bus I can get him to put his hands on his lap and stop. At the house he will act up and then go to apologize but being staring at my (or another staffs) chest and reach for their chest. Sometimes I can stop him before he gets near but there are other times when I'm too slow and he will but his hand on my chest. I am afraid of men to begin with but can usually deal. When he goes near my chest I usually slap his hand away (there is really no gentle way to stop him). It makes me very uncomfortable and makes me feel disgusting and dirty. I have talked to my managers about what he does but have not told them why it bothers me so much. They told psychology about what he does and they said they would talk to me about what to do but never did. This happens pretty much every day at work. He knows what he is doing and it's not from the autism. I feel like it's getting worse. I'm not sure how much more I can take but need this job and love everybody else there.. I don't know how to handle this......

Big Sister:Squiggles
Little Sister: PaintItBlack
Cousins: dereksarah, Hollz

zivalover16 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Albus Dumbledore
Ella

I am currently:

Hi,
I am in a very similar situation to yourself. I also work with adults with learning disabilities. In my house, it is a woman who does this, and she does it purely because she knows that it makes staff feel uncomfortable. She had only very mild learning disabilities, so she has full understanding of what she is doing.
In my situation, I walk away from her, inform the team leader/manager, document it and ask for a break from her. With regards to how it makes me feel and the memories it brings up, I just try to ground myself and focus on the present moment. I also try to do some self soothe, so the things I can do at work are use hand cream, make myself a nice drink (I keep camomile teabags in my bag), suck on a favourite sweet.
Also, it might be worth asking your manager to refer this service user to the local learning disability team who can come out, do an assessment and see if there's anything that can help stop this behaviour.
If your manager wont do anything to help, then it might be worth weighing up whether the job is worth it, or whether it is damaging your mental health too much.
I can completely empathise with you, I really know how difficult this can be to deal with.

Albus Dumbledore is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)