RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
would you smoke an e-cigarette?

Read and Discuss. a good old fashioned debate.

We know smoking is bad for us. Tar, tobacco, a whole host of other chemicals, including cyanide and formaldehyde are in your average cigarette and cause diseases, mainly cancer.

Now, with the invention of electronic cigarettes all that isn't a danger any more.
An e-cigarette is just nicotine suspended in a water vapour.

Tar and so on, very bad for you but nicotine is, surprisingly, good for you.
it's tar that clogs up the lungs and causes the breathing problems, nicotine may in fact open the airway. Which may go to explain how easily tar clogs up the airways. when they're wide open they will fill quickly.

Quote:
First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness
From wikipedia.

so nicotine has both stimulating and calming affects, can be good for the body, reduces pain, enhances serotonin and dopamine. it may even be an appetite suppressant, but that's down to individuals responses. Personally I have known a number of very overweight.

Also taken from wikipedia:
Quote:
Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties
So that's the evidence for the pro section.

The con section is that, like smoking too many cigarettes, nicotine overdose is always a danger. But also like smoking too many cigarettes, you'd have to smoke a hell of a lot of e-cigs to do it.
The other con is that no one yet knows what the long term health affects of smoking e-cigarettes would be.

So, with all of that, what do you think?
If you are a smoker, would you make the switch to an e-cig to gain the health benefits and keep your habit?
If you are a non-smoker, would you think of taking up the smoking of e-cigs to gain the benefits of nicotine without the downsides of tar and tobacco?

Myself, I'm on the fence. I've been tempted to buy a disposable e-cig to try it out and see if there are any noticeable benefits.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
happywondering
выродок

I used to smoke an e-cigarette at work when I wasnt allowed to smoke at work (a 10 hour shift I may add) was no where near as satisfying as the real thing, so I gave it away when I stopped working there.

Never forget what you are for the rest of the world will not.
Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you

happywondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
FranticMind

I am currently:

I personally would not switch to an e-cigarette, some i have seen are more expensive than cigarettes anyway, and i dont trust them. but heh thats just me, i may be wrong!

FranticMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I tried switching to an e-cigarette roughly a year ago and it did nothing for me.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I like the taste of the flavoured ones.
My partner would be uncomfortable if I got one so I don't use it.

I also enjoy shisha.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

I have though about e-cigs, but I can't get over a few news articles I saw when they were relatively new about them exploding in peoples mouths...so that would be a no from me.

I also wish they did nicotine replacement things that I wasn't allergic to!

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
whirlpools

I tried an e-cig and it wasn't the same. I'd smoke it, and think "well, that was nice. Now for a real cigarette". I found sibling rivalry has been the most influential thing in me quitting smoking. That said, I know people who love e-cigs.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

I've got one but I only smoke it when I haven't left my house for a few days, so, haven't gone out for a proper fag. I only enjoy the fact I can smoke it in my room.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

When I was in less of a **** place my e-cig helped me cut down on my smoking drastically, I got down to only 2-3 of the real things a day which is some sort of miracle for me.

I enjoy smoking the e-cig and am hoping it will help me cut down again, and plus once you've bought it is one heck of a lot cheaper, the bottles of the stuff you put in them only cost on average about a fiver and can last up to a month.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
yourockmysocks

E-cigarettes are nasty. I get coughing fits when people smoke them near me from the vapor. It's a heck of a lot harder to ask people to stop smoking (technically with e-cigs it's vapor but it irritates my throat/lungs the same as regular cigarettes) that **** in your face when it's an e-cig because of all the hype around them.

I don't believe that E-cigs are healthy, probably just healthier than normal cigarettes, but it's all relative. http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/ma...ted=all&src=pm

Last edited by yourockmysocks : 04-05-2013 at 03:04 AM.
yourockmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

I have an e cig made by totally wicked,i use it mainly when Im not able to smoke actual cigs,or when Im with people who have switched to the e cig themselves.
I like all the different flavours,the fact you can use them in most places without standing outside like a leper and it works out cheaper than actually smoking.
I don't know about other makes but the totally wicked one has strengths of nicotine so you can slowly decrease,they even have a nicotine free one for when you just need to break the habit.
The long term health risks....can't be any worse than actually smoking.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
angel of despair

I am currently:

I bought a bubblegum flavour electronic shisha a few days ago, does that count? :P

angel of despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
The One Who

I am currently:

I don't really understand why anyone who doesn't smoke already, would then start just because they are seen to be 'healthier'.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
crazykat
Fight for another day

^Agreed, I know I wouldn't

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I don't really understand why anyone who doesn't smoke already, would then start just because they are seen to be 'healthier'.
Same here,just seems stupid....though i think part of it is because the range of e cigs is quite big and there are some really smart ones out there,its becoming a bit of a craze,like scooters and yoyos but more dangerous.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

I'm a little curious about how they work, what they taste like, but I sure wont be buying or trying one.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
[Luna]

I just bought an electronic cigarette, it's worth a shot. I'm starting to smoke way too much and it's getting expensive (plus I stink!).

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

^ Hope it works out well for you. I personally find the ones that aren't the cheap ones that look like real cigs are far more pleasant and effective.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
PinstripePython

I just don't find them as satisfying as real cigarettes.

PinstripePython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
forever_lost

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I don't smoke, and I don't really see the point in starting with these either. There's just no point. These "benefits" of nicotine or whatever aren't be all that great, and there are a lot of other ways to achieve the same effects. And I don't know if I actually believe nicotine isn't addictive.

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

forever_lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)