Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Getting_There_Monkey
What! I'm not a tree!

I am currently:
Bleaching hair?

Hey guys,

Im wanting to bleach my hair but I have no idea what stuff is the correct thing to use?
If anyone has bleached there hair and know of some really good products could you let me know please :) Or if you have had any disasters with a product also let me know :)

Thanks

If you don't like how things are, change it. You are not a tree!

Getting_There_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
ferretmonster

i use schwarzkopf xl (well i say i do y friend does but she uses the excess in my fringe) it always seems to do the job well

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

gah.... don't do this yourself unless you really know what you are doing.

MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

^That.

Go to the hairdressers.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
AtomicRevenge

I am currently:

If you have quite light hair already, (light auburn to dark blonde-ish) You can try some vitamin C powder mixed with a strong anti-dandruff shampoo. Put into wet hair for 30 min, rinse. I use Head and Shoulders Classic and some powder baggies I found in a health store. I do have pretty light hair already though... Dunno try it maybe. And book an appointment with the hairdressers in case it goes wrong.

One day, you asked me to choose between you and my life,
I chose my life and you left,
But you didn't know that My Life is you.

AtomicRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
GlitterTrashDoll
eZine Editor

I am currently:

Try to avoid bleach if you can - it destroyed my hair and has taken 4 years to get healthy again. Try other lightening products, if your hair is already dyed trying using Colour B4 from Boots.

DILLIGAF

"it’s when you’re acting selflessly, that you are at your bravest"
- Four.
CTFxC'er forever.

GlitterTrashDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Scrabble.
[:

I am currently:

^ I echo what everyone else is saying tbh.

x

<3

Scrabble. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
squirrelspit

I am currently:

i used to bleach my own hair.

First time it went orange, so i bleached it some more etc etc until it wsa just the right shade of bright white.

Eventually the top layer of my hair completely snapped and i had to stop bleaching it in order to let it grow back.

I used to use this stuff

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I tried bleaching my hair once, I can't remember what I used but it went paper-white. I thought it looked pretty cool though.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Jinxi

I am currently:

The best product depends on how dark (and thick / strong) your hair is to start with.
And would only bleach at home for first time if a mistake could be fixed with a haircut that you wouldn't mind having anyway, otherwise hairdresser/ experienced! and trusted friend
Have fun

Free me.

One day we will all be free to fly into our own sunset
i need your love
'cause on my own
i don't feel strong enough

Jinxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
monket
Carpe Noctem

I am currently:

I use Quick Blue bleach powder with 40 volume creme developer. But my natural hair is suuuper thick and dark, so you might not need stuff quite as powerful for yours if you have lighter colored or thinner hair.

monket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Manic Panic do amazing 40% volume bleach. Your hair goes white.
Also, jerome russel powder bleach kits are really good. I used to use that stuff and ended up leaving it on for an hour and a half which I do not recommend as it is a stupidly long time to leave it on for but it worked really well. My hair has lived thrugh all kinds of abuse and is not really that damaged at all.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
xMakeSomeNoisex
I quite enjoy my insanity, thank you very much.

I am currently:

Well I would recommend never bleaching your hair but if you really want to, go to someone who has experience doing it and make sure they know what they are doing. First and last time I ever bleached my hair I went to a salon and lets just say they ruined my hair not only was it bleached within an inch of it's life they managed to ruin it and make my hair end up breaking and feel like straw. I ended up having to work for years to finally get my hair healthy again.

Bleaching is always going to damage your hair but as long as you get it done properly it should be fine but make sure you use good hair products to try and lessen the damage afterward.

Also it is defiantly going to depend on your hair color whether certain products will work well or not.

“What if I'm so broken I can never do something as
basic as feed myself? Do you realize how twisted
that is? It amazes me sometimes that humans still
exist. We're just animals, after all. And how can an
animal get so removed from nature that it loses the
instinct to keep itself alive?”

xMakeSomeNoisex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
sajhfuahuefghaeg

My hairdresser has got some new bleach which is ammonia free and meant to be a lot better for my hair. (I love her, yesterday she dyed my hair pink and blue)

I would get someone else to do it for reasons already said. Yeah it's going to cost a lot but would you rather pay a bit for it and actually have hair or risk something going wrong (colour, damage, etc)

sajhfuahuefghaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrk View Post
I would get someone else to do it for reasons already said. Yeah it's going to cost a lot but would you rather pay a bit for it and actually have hair or risk something going wrong (colour, damage, etc)
I was in the hairdressers' today, and there was a girl there trying to rectify some of the damage she'd done to herself by dying her own hair. I know nothing about hair, but even I could see (from a distance) how damaged it was. She was having to pay a lot for them to attempt to make it look less bad.

You pay a lot for a professional to do it, but you'll pay more for them to fix your mistakes.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Sans Peur

A tip to get a more even bleach is to do the tips first and the roots of your hair last as the roots will bleach white/blonde very quickly. I learnt from experience having blonde roots and ginger tips :P

Sans Peur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #17
xMakeSomeNoisex
I quite enjoy my insanity, thank you very much.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I was in the hairdressers' today, and there was a girl there trying to rectify some of the damage she'd done to herself by dying her own hair. I know nothing about hair, but even I could see (from a distance) how damaged it was. She was having to pay a lot for them to attempt to make it look less bad.

You pay a lot for a professional to do it, but you'll pay more for them to fix your mistakes.

Defiantly agree with that.

Trust me from my own experience I used to dye my hair all the time (since my botched bleach job that was done at a salon made me never want to go back) and when I finally did go back to a salon I had damaged my hair beyond belief and it took me quite a few trips and a good chunk of money to have it fixed. After 3 years my hair is finally back to normal and healthy again.

Anywho I would recommend going to a professional and asking them about it and what they can do to help lessen the damage. They usually do a great job with hair I just happened to get someone who didn't know what they were doing that one time but now I make sure I go to someone I trust and know has good skills.

“What if I'm so broken I can never do something as
basic as feed myself? Do you realize how twisted
that is? It amazes me sometimes that humans still
exist. We're just animals, after all. And how can an
animal get so removed from nature that it loses the
instinct to keep itself alive?”

xMakeSomeNoisex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #18
SilentSymphony
*A symphony of stars*

I am currently:

I don't know exactly what you're planning to do to your hair, but for the last six months or so, the last 4-5 inches of my hair (which almost reaches my waist) was bleached and dyed. My normal hair is a middle shade of brown, just so you know, and I did it at home, but I had someone help me (even though he'd never done hair before, either, but he did a great job!). I had compromised with my mom that if I did only the bottom few inches, I could cut it off if it turned out badly.

Anyway, we used Splat hair dye for both the red and the purple. (The bleach worked okay for me, but I would not recommend this as a dye unless you want something very temporary. The red lasted only a few days on me before going pink [although that might have been because I died it right before a cruise, so I was swimming in saltwater and using a harsh shampoo almost every day :P. Silly me.] and the purple went pink after a couple weeks.)

After that, I left it blonde until just recently, when I died all of my hair a very dark brown (almost black, and I love it so much!). My hair was okay, health-wise, although the bleached bit did tend to tangle a lot, but that might have been just because my hair is so long anyway.

Anyway, if you just wanted to try something like that, I would say you could do it at home as long as you had a friend to help (also depending on the length of your hair). If you wanted to try something more ambitious, such as long streaks or all of your hair, I would recommend going to a salon, just in case. :P

Hope this helps! If there's anything else you think I can help you with, feel free to PM me. :)

SilentSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Meganrose

BBlonde stuff is very good, but it is strong. I've been bleaching my hair for a few years, and BBlonde is good, because it does the job! It can cain your hair if you let it. It's very much a check-constantly kinda deal. If it looks ready-its ready.
And purple shampoo is a saint. Last time I went blonde from pink it took my baby-pink hair to white within a few washes, wihout annnnyy added damage.

Meganrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

Bleach is not such a good idea if you don't know what you are doing. It can easily damaged your hair, come out the wrong colour or go patchy.

It will cost more, but if you go to a hairdresser you are more likly to get the results you want xx

Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Ellyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)