RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Saerie

I am currently:
SI in Japan

I'm going to Japan on June 13th for a 3 week summer course at Mukogawa University. I have a lot of scars on my arms and I can't find anything that says how Japanese society may react to this...

I should know better because I'm doing Japanese Studies at uni...but I am worried about it nonetheless...

Does anyone have any experience or have any ideas?

Saerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Animad

I don't really know how the Japanese society are regarding SI but in reality it doesn't really matter. Everyone has a right to act how they want to and so just try and show yourself as you do in the UK; if you feel you aren't comfortable with them knowing then keep it hidden. But, what you can remember is that it is only 3 weeks so even if they do act negatively towards you, after this you probably will never see any of them again so it doesn't matter too much what they think. I know that's hard but it's the best way to think about it and just try and enjoy your experience whilst you are there. Hopefully you will get so much out of it your SI and their possible reaction to it (which you can get very negative reactions towards it also in the UK) will not have any affect on you and you will just be more focussed on what you are doing and their different culture.

That probably doesn't help but I thought I'd reply and at least if nothing else it will bump it up so someone who knows more than me regarding this can reply!

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Moonlight Princess
Never forgetting to be awesome

I am currently:

I'm not really sure either sorry but like Kim said it's only three weeks. How do you normally deal with your SI here-are you open about it? If you're worried about what people will say in Japan if they see scars can you actually see any situations where that could actually happen. Are you thinking of wearing long sleeves or do you think it will be too hot for that because I'm sure there are cooler long-sleeved things to wear. Is there any way you might be able to ask your lecturers in a non suspicious way maybe?
Sorry for the terrible advice! I hope you enjoy your trip though, Japan is apparently a fantastic place to visit, so make sure you have fun!

Last edited by Moonlight Princess : 19-05-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Forgot a few words!

You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you wish to make.

Moonlight Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

I don't know anything about Japan, sorry. Though I hope it goes alright. xo.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Tuesday

I don't really know anything about it either, but I doubt it would be regarded much differently than any other place. It really shouldn't be much of a problem, and if you're that uncomfortable, you could always wear wristbands, bracelets, etc to cover them up - but I really wouldn't worry about it. I bet no one would say anything about the scars. *Hugs* Try not to worry too much about it :)

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

Hey
I am not from japan or anything, but one time my counsellor asked me if I had ever done any SI research and I hadnt. Soo i started to and I did find some stuff written by japanese people so I know its known about and people have researched it and stuff from there. What i got from it is that its pretty simaler to here(canada). Some people are very accepting, some are not. Some people have never heard or it, and some ppl, like us, do it all it time. So i would advice wearing what you wear at home! the good part is, if you get a bad reaction, youll most likely never see the person again lol.
I hope you have a great trip!

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
elise elend

I am currently:

With any luck I'll be spending a year in Japan, year after next or the year after, so I guess this question is relevant to me too. Just very long-term... but those scars will still be there then anyway. I can't really answer your question but I might do some research and see what I find, and I'll let you know.

elise elend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

i just wanted to say good luck and all the best x

you can get some arm sleeves from claires which come in funky patterns and i use them when im going out :)
x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
thefabulous
one day I will look at rocks for a living

I am currently:

first off, i am soo jelous of you going to japan. amazing, amazing.

i went to japan through a skool trip at spring break (AMAZING)

i had a few scars on my wrist, and a couple fresh(ish) cuts, nothing too huge tho.... nobody japanese comented (though i was a foreigner and yeaa, ) i'm nto too sure if SI is in their society as much, suicide is more comment/known about (dates back to samurai and yea)

have an awesoem time though :D

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOLOGY

thefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
discovery_journey

I am currently:

Hey country girl.. thanks for posting the link to the photo essay. it was really powerful.

discovery_journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #11
Saerie

I am currently:

Thanks for the support guys.

I asked someone on my course and they said that Japanese people are more likely to ignore it and avoid confronting me about it because of their extremely polite society! :)

They also tend to see suicide/self injury as an act of courage and survival I think. Rather than a linear time structure in the West, they have a circular time structure in the East. So if something bad has happened to you or if you've done something bad in life, suicide is seen as an act of repenting and starting again in a new life. Maybe the self injury scars will be viewed as an act of strength. I hope anyway.

Last edited by Saerie : 26-05-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Saerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)