RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #1
S3V3N

Bruxism Caused by SSRIs

I don't know for sure if it's why I grind my teeth at night, but after being on prozac for many many many years, I can only assume it's just another of the many side effects from the drug. It's so bad now that I'm supposed to wear a mouth guard. And I need dental work from shattered back molars. I wear the mouthguard sometimes, but often it keeps me from being able to fall asleep. It's a store bought one and it doesn't fit right.
The custom made ones cost around $1500 and aren't covered by health benefits because they are considered an aesthetic.

Fun times.

But at least I'm not taking the prozac anymore. Does anyone else grind their teeth at night? The headaches that follow are no picnic either.

S3V3N is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 27-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I had this when I was on Sertraline- it stopped when I came off it though, have you noticed a change since stopping the prozac?

I found a mouldable mouth guard online which I also wore in the daytime when possible (like, not when I needed to talk!) as I was grinding my teeth during the day too . I wonder if something like that could be helpful for you as it's supposed to shape itself to fit your teeth.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
S3V3N

I don't think I'm doing it as chronically as before, at least while I'm sleeping. I do grind during the daytime too, but no where near as bad, but mostly because I catch myself and stop.

The doctors have switched me from antidepressants to antipsychotics (was finally correctly diagnosed with bipolar disorder) and other than feeling way better mentally I also find there are alot less side effects.

The prozac has been out of my system for almost 9 months, so I don't know if the bruxism will ever completely go away.

I use a mouthguard that comes from the pharmacy, but I always have a hard time molding them properly. Still better than having nothing at all but I need to start using it instead of making excuses, because even though it's uncomfortable to wear, I feel like I could get used to it if I gave it an honest try.

Old 28-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Oh I'm pleased you're feeling better mentally, that's great!

Ah right, didn't realise that the one you had was mouldable already. It's good that you can identify that you might be making excuses a bit- it's easy to get stuck doing that, and I know that the mouthguards are pretty damn uncomfortable. Maybe you could try wearing it in the day while you're busy doing something distracting so that you have a chance to get used to it in a setting that isn't lying in bed trying to sleep, livid that there's something uncomfortable in your mouth.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
S3V3N

Thank you. And you might be right about the excuses. I only really ever gave the mouthguard a few weeks of honest effort, but now that I'm a bit older, I think it's become more important that I try again, to save my teeth. And to prevent headaches as well.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)