RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
grsandy45

Post-College Depression/Anxiety About Jobs

Hello everyone. I am graduating from my undergraduate/Bachelor's program in a week, and I am so anxious and depressed about it because I have no job lined up.

I double majored, did 3 internships (one in a foreign country), speak 2 languages, and have a professionally polished resume and cover letter. I've applied to over 120 jobs since October, and heard back nothing. Not gotten a single interview.

My majors are in a field with plenty of well-paying job opportunities and lots of options, so it's not a limited field or anything. I know the average college graduate applies to like 250 jobs on average before landing one, but I don't know, I'm getting so discouraged because I haven't even landed an interview! The most I ever hear back is "we're not moving forward with your application."

There's also the added frustration that I did have offers from 2 of the places I interned to come back and work for them and they'd be happy to find a role for me, but both companies are closed for the foreseeable future because of COVID.

I don't know, I know so many people go through this, I know entry-level is brutal and so oversaturated and competitive. I know I need to just keep chugging along and applying to everything, but I'm so emotionally exhausted by the process that I'm not excited about graduating in the slightest. For every application, I'm going against 200+ applicants, most of which are Senior level in the field or have Master's Degrees, and it just feels so hopeless.

Any encouraging words would be much appreciated; I'm really losing sleep over this.

4 Hugs Given By :
Old 18-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Gosh, that does sound really demoralising and I'm not surprised that it's getting to you.

I really hope that you will have some positive responses to your applications soon. Keep hanging in there are applying for more - sounds like you've got some great qualifications and experience and hopefully that will pay off soon in the form of a job offer :)

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 19-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
Reminiscer

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsandy45 View Post
Hello everyone. I am graduating from my undergraduate/Bachelor's program in a week, and I am so anxious and depressed about it because I have no job lined up.

I double majored, did 3 internships (one in a foreign country), speak 2 languages, and have a professionally polished resume and cover letter. I've applied to over 120 jobs since October, and heard back nothing. Not gotten a single interview.

My majors are in a field with plenty of well-paying job opportunities and lots of options, so it's not a limited field or anything. I know the average college graduate applies to like 250 jobs on average before landing one, but I don't know, I'm getting so discouraged because I haven't even landed an interview! The most I ever hear back is "we're not moving forward with your application."

There's also the added frustration that I did have offers from 2 of the places I interned to come back and work for them and they'd be happy to find a role for me, but both companies are closed for the foreseeable future because of COVID.

I don't know, I know so many people go through this, I know entry-level is brutal and so oversaturated and competitive. I know I need to just keep chugging along and applying to everything, but I'm so emotionally exhausted by the process that I'm not excited about graduating in the slightest. For every application, I'm going against 200+ applicants, most of which are Senior level in the field or have Master's Degrees, and it just feels so hopeless.

Any encouraging words would be much appreciated; I'm really losing sleep over this.
Aw I'm sorry about that. That is so frustrating. I completely understand why you feel depressed. When I graduated from college in 2015, I felt the same way you do. I felt depressed, unmotivated, and just unsure of what to do. I was also depressed because I was losing my independence since I had to move back home with my parents. I still can't wait to move out again, hopefully very soon. It is normal to feel frustrated especially after the situation with your internships. It is demoralizing.

Old 29-04-2023, 10:02 PM   #4
AllanWaris
This Member is currently Banned

I stumbled upon this post and decided to revive this thread. I understand how frustrating it can be to apply to numerous jobs without success. However, don't be too hard on yourself. You have accomplished so much during your time in college and have gained valuable skills and experience.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:55 AM   #5
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Closing due to length of time since last post. grsandy45, feel free to PM me if you would ever like this reopening.

No other sadness in the world would do

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)