RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
perola
Maggie

I am currently:
helping a suicidal friend

My best friend is in hospital because he attempted suicide and he still feels suicidal. I'm still not able to see him, but I really want to do something to help him, so I thought I could make a happy box with our photographs, cds, postcards, happy quotes on coloured paper and other stuff. Do you think it's a good idea? What else should I put in there? And could you please suggest any other way to help him and support him through this?

perola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
cloudedmind

I am currently:

Sounds like a fab idea :D just be creative. I'd say just be normal, and let him know you're there. He'll talk if he wants to :)

cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
crazykat
Fight for another day

I think that is a really lovely idea, I am sure that he would appreciate it. Sometimes just knowing that someone has gone to the effort to show they care can mean the world when your struggling. What about including some distraction type stuff in there? Like a puzzle book, rubiks cube, stress ball and perhaps think about the kind of things he enjoys. So if he is into cars you could put a car magazine in there. Your friend is lucky to have someone as lovely as you.

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Clive

It's great that you're being so thoughtful. Go for it, I think lots of people would love a friend like you.

Clive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
perola
Maggie

I am currently:

Thank you so much for all your kind words, you are all lovely and amazing friends. This really helped me :)

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

i think the idea of sending him a happy box is great :) when i was in the hospital i loved getting mail, even just postcards, and someone sending a care package like that would have made my day.

how are you managing with this? it can be really emotional when someone close tries to kill themselves. remember that you need to take care of yourself as well as worrying about your friend

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
ADownie25
Al Downie

I am currently:

Thats a really kind and caring thing to do and im sure it will touch his heart and he will see/feel or both just how much you care about him and seeing/feeling that when your in that state does make a world of a difference. How are you though? it can be very upsetting and draining emotionally to support someone who is feeling that way. Take care of yourself.

ADownie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
perola
Maggie

I am currently:

I feel really anxious all the time because our conversations are very upsetting as he still wants to kill himself and I panick with just the thought of losing him. However, I'm trying to focus on what I can do to help him and cheer him up rather than thinking about how difficult and sad this situation is. And he's in hospital, he's safe there right?

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)