RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:
Suggestion: Fitness/Workout Sticky Thread or Forum?

What if we had a fitness/workout sticky thread or forum where members could encourage and support eachother in their fitness goals/endeavors?

I know with the ED forum, things could potentionally get competitive and/or obsessive, but what if it was a place only for positive feedback? However, there are people here who are (obviously) trying to recover from their disorders...

I've mentioned in other threads that I've recently started working out. I think it'd be nice to talk with other people who are doing similar routines, get ideas for additional workouts, DVDs, etc.

*shrug*

I don't know. It's just a thought. What do all of you think?

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

There are lots of things that have been/are posted in the ED forum that are aimed only at positive feedback, and people still post negative things on them. That's why the ED board picture thread has gone.

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Sans Peur

To be honest i think this would end up being too much of a competion as we are trying at the moment to make the ED board a safer place with the removal of certain threads.My concern is that not just people that are recoverying would post in th ethread, someone may be very underweight/ struggling with their ED and get positive reinforcement for doing exercise when infact it is a bad thing for their recovery.

I dont know if it would work or not, perhaps i worry too much about things like this.

Sans Peur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
-Asphyxia-
-loser-

I am currently:

Okay. Nevermind. I see your points...I was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt...

-poisonous-

-Asphyxia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Sans Peur

I have seen it work on another forum that i use which is not a forum for depression etc but there are a few members that have ED's and the thread is about weight loss/ exercise and similar things and already seen there how it can be bad for those that dont have an ED, the competition between members is so strong and that is without people with Eating Disorders being involved so i imagine it to be worse with members.

but what defines being recovered? someone may be attempting to recover but then may feel triggered by the thread discussing how much exercise they have done.Exercise is essential for everyones lives but with ED's the exercise can easily become obbsessive and excessive.Even recoverying doesnt mean you are at a healthy weight, or anywhere near ready to start risking temptation to fall back.

sorry for rambling and making no sense

Jane

Sans Peur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

Jane, that does make sense :)

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Aidee

I am currently:

I agree with Jane on this one also. I think that there are enough other resources out there for people to use for fitness/weight loss that don't run the risk of teaching bad habits to/triggering vulnerable people.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Aidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

I think that it is a great idea, however, I don't think it would work on this specific forum.

The thing is, with Eating Disorders you start something very healthily and before you know it, things are very different - and being done for the wrong reasons.

I fought with my therapist to be able to go the gym, she discouraged me and said it really, really wasn't something that I should be doing. So, I didn't, I started exercising at home, within moderation, so I could tone up, so I could just, be healthy - however, that's not how it stayed. I had the bestest intentions in the world, I was annoyed at everyong who was doubting me, because I WAS doing it for the right reasons, but it just didn't stay that way. It slipped out of control, and before I knew it, it was yet another problem - and it was dangerous.

ED's are, usually, very competitive anyway, and *I* find that if I read what someone has done (exercise, or whatever) I always feel I have to beat that persons amounts. So, say a certain number of sit ups, a certain time walking - I feel that if I don't do more than this person's, then it isn't 'ok' and it just doesn't count.

Does this make any sense at all?
So, I guess all I'm saying is, I KNOW that I can start something and be trying really hard for the right reasons and it very quickly falls into something that is very dangerous - and I never thought it would be. It's a slippery road, and if your mind is already that way inclined, it's a slope that is very easy to fall down.

I hope I haven't spoken out of turn. x

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
BlindSpot.
Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bang.

I am currently:

^ I completly agree with you.

Ali xox

With demons dancing off mirror images reflecting all that you wanted.
So far from perfect, onward we will strive.
Take it for what it's worth, this truth that you've realized.
You're not who you thought you were, it's time to see the other side of what you have become.

BlindSpot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
OutOfTheWoods11
I'll let you **** my soul, for a hit of that glow

I am currently:

Other than the above argument, there is also the consideration that RYL is quite splintered at the moment. It's an issue that has been mentioend in ever "Lets make an XYZ board" post in this section... Including the ones which I suggested.... There are places where this could be put relativly sfaely (General chat/general support and advice, depending on content) without segregating communities further...

OutOfTheWoods11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
anonyone30

I am currently:

If it were possible to put this information (with no personal stats) in a safe area, it could be a positive thing. I only say this because i know from personal experience that exercise is very therepeutic, because it stimulates feel good chemicals and is a useful distraction.
Suzanne xxx

anonyone30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #12
flippinterp

Perhaps the "Moving Forward" section could be a good place for this type of stickied threat. I understand that exercise may be harmful to some people on the board who struggle with eating disorders, but at the same time, exercise has benefits to mental health. If exercise is something that helps many people stay in recovery, it seems reasonable to have a thread about it. Personally, I think the potential benefits would offset the risks to a smaller group of people. I exercise to keep depression at bay- and so far, it's done about as well as any antidepressant I've been on.

Who can attest that when they're at their best
Oh their worst is still crouching close behind
It's coming to peace with the darkness in me
That allows the true light to shine inside
"Ups and Downs" ~ Kendall Payne

flippinterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Aidee

I am currently:

Trace I think that is the best idea.

Exercise is thought to help some people who have mental health issues, but I don't think it is worth the risk of having a forum about it on RYL.

It would be incredibly easy to share information that could be harmful to people with EDs, and I think given the multitude of forums out there specifically aimed towards fitness it would be better if people interested in that. I don't think it's fair to say that being able to discuss it is worth the risk to people with EDs.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Aidee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
KrissyInterupted
Uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Crabbit View Post
There are lots of things that have been/are posted in the ED forum that are aimed only at positive feedback, and people still post negative things on them. That's why the ED board picture thread has gone.
nooorr not a good idea 4 sum1 with an ed!!! seriouslyy

KrissyInterupted is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)