Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
Celticroots

I am currently:
It's not worth it?

For those who don't SH anymore or haven't in several years, what made you realize that SH isn't worth it in the long run? I ask because I've been stressed lately and am struggling with urges to cut.

Celticroots is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 16-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Sketchy

I am currently:

I'm not free from sh so I can't advise there, but is there any way you can deal with your stresses? Anything you would like to talk about?

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Various things. The moment where I decided that I was going to stop and never do it again was feeling utterly let down by services and realising that I was either going to be like that forever or I was going to have to get better without their help. So to be quite honest, in the beginning it was really that I just rage-quit :P But then over the years I've seen the benefits and that's helped me to stay free. For example, I found that without SH/ED behaviours I was forced to confront the actual issues and not hide behind "I cut myself x times" so that when I talked to friends and when a few years down the line I did receive professional help I could be much more productive and actually start to get better. For me, any counselling I'd had before I stopped self-harming was just firefighting, whereas after I stopped, I was finally able to stop lighting the damn fires in the first place.

It also helps to think about the things I've been able to do because of stopping. My self harm got in the way of relationships a lot and I don't think I'd be managing in the career I have if I was still self-harming. I'm also glad of the extra room in my brain for exciting things that used to be taken up with thinking about when I was next going to cut myself and how and where and how deep etc.

I'm sorry for the ramble. I hope that it helps at least a little bit!

Do you know what is causing you to struggle with urges at the moment?

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant.

I am currently:

The hassle. Like seriously, who has time to clean and dress and hide and possibly get treatment for new wounds? And then they get infected and it all gets stressful. And expensive. It's a miserable existence.
I hope you can find reasons to not hurt yourself. You're worth more than that.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
Twisted Fate

I am currently:

For me it was when I realized I had lost control, when I felt I could no longer control my self harm and I was terrified at the end results. I was afraid of people finding out and I was afraid of having to seek medical treatment. Another reason was I wanted to see who I was without self harm. Self harm, depression, misery, self hate defined me for years. I didn't like who I was or how emotions controlled me. I made several attempts to stop with several slip ups over a few years. It takes a long time but for me it was wroth it to be free from the control of self harm.

Forget the risk and take the fall if it's what you want it's worth it all

Twisted Fate is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)