RYL Forums

View Poll Results: Do you feel that the paralymics deserve the same attention as other olympians?
Yes 32 84.21%
No 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
***Sam***

I am currently:
Kinda Annoying

Ok so I know that this may not be in the right forum and I apologize in advance but it seemed like the best place to put it.
Just a tiny "grr" (well a big "GRR!!!" but not a long rant)
I just wanted to point out how little attention and public support the 2010 paralymics received. The minute the "able bodied" Olympians had finished competing, all the Olympic merchandise disappeared and almost ALL channels returned to their usual broadcasting with minimal discussion of the rankings of the athletes. I have NO clue what countries won what medals and quite frankly I'm really disappointed in the media and people as a whole for pushing the paralymics aside as though it's less meaningful. I'm sure many people would agree with me and I feel that something should be done to increase paralymic awareness.

***Sam*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
***Sam***

I am currently:

sorry I just realized this could go in "News and Debate"

***Sam*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
akita

I am currently:

Yes of course they should.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

The paralympics are shown in the UK on main TV channels, same as the winter olympics and the Olympics.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
The One Who

I am currently:

I can understand why they do it though. Yes, it's great to see, but if they aren't getting the ratings then they change back to regular programming. Not everyone appreciates these sorts of things. It's the same with why they don't show all the different types of sports on TV. I'm a fencer, and really like to watch the professionals, but they hardly ever show it because it's such a niche interest.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Hannah Montana

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
I'm a fencer,
How cool!

Yes they definitely should..

Hannah Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery of life View Post
Yes of course they should.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I'm unsure to be honest. I agree there should have been more coverage of the winter paralympics, but I don't think it should have had the same amount of coverage as the olympics. Personally I think things should be judged on their own merits and whilst some paralympic sports are as exciting to watch (for example wheelchair racing), others just don't have the same draw (but then again I avoid coverage of sports like curling for that same reason). That's not to say that the paralympics aren't worthwhile or to diminish the fact that some of the athletes have overcome massive barriers to be able to compete at the level they do, but that sports coverage is all a popularity contest, hence why premier league football get's primetime, sunday league football doesn't and some of the more obscure sports don't get covered at all.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
The One Who

I am currently:

It'd be nice if they did, but look at it from the point of view of the broadcasters. They don't broadcast the entire Olympic games, never mind all of the Paralympics. Take the BBC, currently they show the Olympics, the Paralympics, World Cup football as well as other major cup games, all the international rugby, major snooker tournaments, darts tournaments, Formula 1 (qualifying and the actual race), major tennis tournaments, world and regional athletics, gymnastics, boules tournaments and probably some other stuff I can't remember.

They need to cater to everyone, and not everyone enjoys sport of any description.

Old 26-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

They should. The athletes of the parallel olympics train just as hard, if not harder than the able bodied olympians. While all olympic athletes are inspiring and show us what humans can achieve through hard work and trying, the athletes on the para olympics are twice as inspiring because they have trained themselves so hard they have gone beyond what people expect to be their physical limitations.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I didn't even realise the Paralympics were on this year. Which proves your point pretty definitively.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
espoir

I am currently:

I dont understand why the paraolympics and the olympics cant happen alongside each other and share the media coverage. I agree that the media dont really bother with it and what coverage they do have seems to be a 'token effort' so not to seem like discrimination.

The same can be said about womens football world cup thing.

After all this has passed, i still will remain

After i've cried my last, there'll be beauty from pain

If nothing is ventured, well how can you win?

1 year free

espoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
The One Who

I am currently:

The Paralympics are held just after the Olympics, whether that be summer or winter. Putting both on at the same time would probably be a logistical nightmare and, imo, further stretch and therefore limit the media coverage of events since they can only show a set number of events at once, obviously favouring the rating hits.

Old 26-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
Isoverity

I am currently:

I can't honestly say I'm interested in paralympics. It's great people can still do athletics while in wheelchairs and that there are events for them. But it's unrealistic to think a wheelchair event (and they have stuff like wheelchair curling even) will be as interesting to people as top athletes in standard events and I don't find that unfair in any way. I don't like watching B sides or second strings in standard games either.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Stellata

There are plenty of people with disabilities who would find it interesting, I would think.

I'm not into sports myself at all though!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #16
HopeRises

Well, I was well into the winter olympics but I didn't see any paraolympic stuff at all. I love sport..but sometimes it's just 'too much' sport haha..I would be bored of watching the down hill 4 times-well more like 8 times if I watch qualifying.

The reason it isn't on at the same time is because there are probably the same amount of paraolympians than there are able bodied olympians and so that would be mad..you'd need a HUGE 'olympic village' it would cost an even more ridiculous amount of money and time and to have everyone organised and comfortable and yeah. it would be a huge nightmare.

Don't get me wrong, if the 'highlights' of the games were on or something then I'd watch it..but I didn't see anything about it at all this time round..but I wouldn't sit and watch it all over again. I just don't find it interesting enough..like Isoverity said I don't like watching 'B teams'
Same reason I don't watch womens football..because it's less entertaining than mens football..and thats also why thats not on telly much..(though there is more and more of it now)

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
Freedom Fighter

There is a bog difference between what should happen and what brings in the money. Because less people watch the Para-Olympics there is less ad revenue. The stations make more money off normal programing then they would on showing the Para-Olympics. To make the most money they switch to normal programs.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
There is a bog difference between what should happen and what brings in the money. Because less people watch the Para-Olympics there is less ad revenue. The stations make more money off normal programing then they would on showing the Para-Olympics. To make the most money they switch to normal programs.
I think that plays a part, but the BBC (as an example) has no adverts. It's probably more a case of having to justify their programming choices to the public.

Old 26-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
jellytot
Kate

I am currently:

i think YES ...
my cuz is in a wheel chair and plays wheel chair rugby and tennis and its fantastic ...
why should they be any different ... ??
link .... http://www.youtube.com/WESTCOASTCRAS.../0/52ckFgkimcw

Last edited by jellytot : 26-03-2010 at 11:40 PM.

jellytot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #20
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_L View Post
i think YES ...
my cuz is in a wheel chair and plays wheel chair rugby and tennis and its fantastic ...
why should they be any different ... ??
link .... http://www.youtube.com/WESTCOASTCRAS.../0/52ckFgkimcw

I don't think they are "worth less" as people since they may actually be worth more. It's just that sports are (like gladiators in Rome) a kind of spectacle where people want to be entertained by people who they think are "the best" . People like to egotistically identify with the superior qualities of champions who they think are superior to them . Watching people in wheelchairs goes against all of that. It might be lamentable ideally speaking but to expect human nature an markets to change would be like expecting people to greatly reduce interest in sports on the whole.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)