RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 24-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
RILEY1982

I am currently:
I am worried about my dads mental health

He records his dvd box sets on to blank dvds, He flushes food down the toilet, pauses the washing machine mid cycle. Licks plates and puts them back. tells constant lies he said he is taping his box set as a guy gives him £600 for the recorded copies when that is not true he just says this as an excuse to record. If your in a good mood he is in a bad mood.
When he comes around mine i have to be careful as he will try to steal money to buy blank dvds.
He said to me on the phone people should not clap for the care workers as it is not a hard job recording dvds is more difficult i was shocked.
I told him you don`t need to record it is online to which he just replies but you cant record them i just reply you do not need to record them if they are online he just keeps saying you cannot record them.
He celebrates his recording like it is a big thing.
I have tried to tell my mother get the doctor as i am worried.
If any of the family are in a good mood he is in a bad mood.
He is happy when everyone in the family are unhappy.

RILEY1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 30-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Hi there,

That sounds like a rather bizarre habit of your dad's, with the DVD recording. Although that in itself isn't necessarily an indicator of mental ill health. Does he live with your mum? What is her take on things?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
RILEY1982

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Hi there,

That sounds like a rather bizarre habit of your dad's, with the DVD recording. Although that in itself isn't necessarily an indicator of mental ill health. Does he live with your mum? What is her take on things?
Thanks for the reply my mum is fed up with him he takes money from her bag and gets angry if he cannot record, One of my dads brothers used to claim he played soccer for a local team but he used to go and watch he also used to cut himself and rub mud on his head to claim he played. another of the brothers used to claim he owned a hotel and and was a high ranking police man when he
worked as a cleaner at a hotel.
The point i am asking is that all the brothers behave odd.

RILEY1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
MeganAlmighty

I am currently:

I would be concerned if I was witnessing those behaviours. I don't know what the right steps would be being as it doesn't sound like he thinks there's anything abnormal about it. I think calling your gp surgery and asking for advice on what to do could be a good move. Sorry I don't have anything more useful to say

🌎 Mama Earth 🌏

MeganAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Auror.
Camden

To be honest, while some of that does sound odd and not really okay in terms of how to treat others, your dad is an adult. It does not sound as though he is acting in a way that is outright dangerous to himself or anyone else, so it is unlikely that anyone can force your dad to do anything if he is unwilling to acknowledge or change his behavior. GP included. Not saying that might not be hard to deal with, but it sounds like he has the ability to understand what he is doing and does not want to change.

That said, if he is a safety threat to you, your family, or himself, etc., then you can absolutely phone the police or other crisis resources to get him assessed. If not, it might be better to focus on what you can do for yourself to take care of yourself and your own mental health, as those are things you have more situational control over.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)