RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 31-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #81
PoppyLove

I am currently:

How's everyone getting on with their new jobs?

I start mine on Tuesday. I'm incredibly nervous/anxious but I keep telling myself it will be a great opportunity and a good start. I'm certainly excited to bring in some money :)

PoppyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #82
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

Good luck PoppyLove, I'm sure you will do fine. Where are you working?

I start my new job on the 10th. I'm really really scared and terrified about the new change. I don't do too well with change.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:40 AM   #83
PoppyLove

I am currently:

Firefly, I have an administrative position in my university's research compliance office. I'm excited, but it's my first big-kid job, I'll have extra responsibilities, and there's a lot to learn.

Good luck with your job!! Change is hard, I agree. I have accepted that for me it is going to be a stressful first month getting into the swing of things. Hopefully after that it will be easier. I'm sure the same will prove true for you :)

It's going to be weird because I am supposed to supervise a student worker in my job but she's been there longer than me so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up training me!

PoppyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #84
whirlpools

Sorry to barge in, I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me their opinion.

I'm applying for self-employed work online this month. Though much of the application is based on CV and a series of tests for suitability/relevant skills, they request a reference as normal. They wish for it to be a professional reference and ask that it preferably be your last employer.

My last employer/charity is no longer in service, it went into liquidation last year. I don't have contact with my line manager any more. It was also my first professional paid job.

I *might* be able to try and get in touch with my previous line manager through LinkedIn but I feel kind of really unfair about bothering her, I'm not that sure it wood be possible or appropriate either.

I'm currently doing voluntary work and some of the skills used there are fairly relevant to my potential job. I could ask my 'supervisor', but I actually work with another volunteer and only once a month, so my supervisor doesn't have a lot of experience on me in a working capacity (aside from a few training sessions). To make things even more complicated I couldn't ask the other volunteer because she's my mother!

My mum says I get too hung up on references and she's probably right. It's still important though.

I don't know whether it would be better to try and track down my old line manager or ask my current supervisor for a reference? Either could say no but I'm not sure what my best bet is.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #85
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I'm applying for jobs in Denmark (I livein England now).
It's all a bit scary.
Even if I don't manage it by April I'll moving there for a month to job hunt.
Scary!

Although can't wait to leave my current job. I hate it there.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #86
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Laura, I'd ask your current supervisor. Often they have standard type texts for such occasions, I bet a lot of people don't know their boss/supervisor well enough for them to evaluate their performance. They probably go by reliability and results so to speak.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #87
whirlpools

Lana, thank you, I really appreciate that. I think you're right, I'll ask my current supervisor. A lot of the specific skills stuff is assessed during application anyway so they probably just need to know more about whether I'm reliable enough.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)