RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #61
whirlpools

I don't get the sense that sherlock is trying to make you see a doctor, just offer you alternative suggestions, for you to take or not, whichever you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy View Post

Haha I said it was accidental. I bet if I'd told them the truth I'd have been put on the ward for suicide watch ;) but I'm not going to make it easy for them

I did not tell them that it was deliberate. I said it was accidental remember? ;) 'migraine' haha. What amazed me the most was that it actually worked
Sometimes I feel this is a bit of a game to you.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #62
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

What the f***?
This is NOT a game. Would you call YOUR mental (or physical) illness a 'game'?
I laugh at the doctors in that accident and emergency because they are incompetent.
And it was amazing to me that not a single one questioned my story. But oh well. I didn't get locked up or referred to any crisis team/mental health service and that's what matters, however I go about avoiding it

Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #63
Imperfect.Star

You seem impossible to please...you don't want 'big scary investigations' but aren't happy about just having bloods done.

You want doctors to 'do their job' but won't give them all the information they need in order to do this then label them 'incompetent'. In order for healthcare systems to work patients have to take some responsibility for their own health.

You are desperate for doctors not to know about your MH and deliberate overdose then label them incompetent for not bringing it up. Just because they didn't question your story in front of you doesn't mean they believed you.

You say your liver has not been affected. Did you know that without blood tests there is no way you would know if your liver has been affected until it's practically at the point of complete failure?

You're not satisfied with A+E treatment but won't seek the appropriate help which is a GP. A+E's role is to treat any immediately life threatening problems and decide whether you need to be referred to an in-hospital team immediately. From what you have said I wouldn't have done much more than history, examination, bloods and suggested you go to your GP to discuss these 'episodes' you are having. It is unlikely (not saying impossible) that they are related to an overdose if they are still going on but blood tests don't show any lasting effect to your organs. Seizures secondary to overdoses tend to happen pretty quickly or as a result of organ damage or possibly bleeding intracranially (although if this was the case you would most likely have other symptoms/signs which A+E would have seen).

Just for further information 'back arching' is quite classic of a pseudoseizure rather than a true seizure. Signs of generalised seizures are preceding auras, taking a while to recover fully from the event (being drowsy/confused/agitated), tongue biting, urinary incontinence. If you want further investigation into them however it really is most appropriate to go through your GP who can arrange an outpatient CT head if required, neurology appointment or EEG. As has been said a million times they will not necessarily refer you to any psych services.

Also, just because they didn't do whatever you think they should does not make doctors incompetent. We can get a lot of information from what seems very little to you.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #64
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect.Star View Post
You seem impossible to please...you don't want 'big scary investigations' but aren't happy about just having bloods done.
I'm scared of them, not I didn't want them done. There is a difference

Quote:
You want doctors to 'do their job' but won't give them all the information they need in order to do this then label them 'incompetent'. In order for healthcare systems to work patients have to take some responsibility for their own health.
I gave them information that was relevant. Just didn't give them any more beyond absolutely what they needed to know

Quote:
You are desperate for doctors not to know about your MH and deliberate overdose then label them incompetent for not bringing it up. Just because they didn't question your story in front of you doesn't mean they believed you.
So accidental overdoses due to a migraine is an often used excuse is it? I emphasised it enough that I was semi-conscious and didn't know what I was doing

Quote:
You say your liver has not been affected. Did you know that without blood tests there is no way you would know if your liver has been affected until it's practically at the point of complete failure?
Yes. But it wasn't was it? And when a friend was suffering liver damage they were in a lot of pain, while I never was...

Quote:
You're not satisfied with A+E treatment but won't seek the appropriate help which is a GP. A+E's role is to treat any immediately life threatening problems and decide whether you need to be referred to an in-hospital team immediately. From what you have said I wouldn't have done much more than history, examination, bloods and suggested you go to your GP to discuss these 'episodes' you are having. It is unlikely (not saying impossible) that they are related to an overdose if they are still going on but blood tests don't show any lasting effect to your organs. Seizures secondary to overdoses tend to happen pretty quickly or as a result of organ damage or possibly bleeding intracranially (although if this was the case you would most likely have other symptoms/signs which A+E would have seen).
So... the seizures started about 12-24 hours after the od. I did seem to have a slightly bloody nose a few days ago (maybe I should have said that there? Oh well too late)

Quote:
Just for further information 'back arching' is quite classic of a pseudoseizure rather than a true seizure. Signs of generalised seizures are preceding auras, taking a while to recover fully from the event (being drowsy/confused/agitated), tongue biting, urinary incontinence. If you want further investigation into them however it really is most appropriate to go through your GP who can arrange an outpatient CT head if required, neurology appointment or EEG. As has been said a million times they will not necessarily refer you to any psych services.
A pseudoseizure is a non-epileptic seizure right? (Simple yes or no answer would be appreciated) and why the hell would they choose such a stupid name for a seizure that's real but not epileptic?
The only other thing is that the shaking/seizure does exhaust me
I may try to see a gp. BUT I will NOT say anything about my mental health. I will walk out and tell them to get stuffed if they try to get me to see the psych services, I will refuse whatever they recommend.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #65
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

You cannot lie (or lie by omission) to doctors and then get angry when they are "incompetent" because they did not give you the outcome you want.

Doctors have seven years of medical school behind them- you have Google.

You CANNOT know what is telling them what they "need" to know and what is irrelevant. They need to know EVERYTHING in order to make an accurate diagnosis.

If you go to A&E saying you accidentally overdosed due to a migraine then they will be checking to see you haven't damaged your liver, and then they will be putting any other symptoms down to a combination of your overdose and the migraine (most likely, but cannot say for sure as I also do not have a medical degree).

So you did not mention the repeated overdoses which I am guessing were a higher dose then the "accidental" one you told them about, you did not mention your eating disorder, you did not mention your chest pains etc, you did not mention your depression. You left out pretty much all of the important information for them to accurately know what is going on.

And I expect you'll still say that they didn't really need to know all of that. But yes, they do. Your 'seizures' could be any number of things. They could be caused by repeated overdoses, they could be caused by being malnourished, they could be panic attacks that tie in with your depression.

So until you go to see a doctor and tell them everything you are going to continue to feel frustrated and not listened to.

I'm not forcing you to do anything. The reason I keep suggesting you see a doctor is because YOU keep posting about these 'seizures', so obviously you are concerned about them, and want something done. Either you ignore them and don't go back to the doctor, or you go back and be honest. Or the third option which I expect you'll do is go back only giving them half the story and then getting frustrated when they are 'incompetent'.

I wish you all the best.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #66
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock holmes View Post
You cannot lie (or lie by omission) to doctors and then get angry when they are "incompetent" because they did not give you the outcome you want.
They didn't need to know the true nature of the od to run a neurological exam on me...

Quote:
Doctors have seven years of medical school behind them- you have Google.
This doctor superiority attitude is really kinda starting to p*** me off.

Quote:
You CANNOT know what is telling them what they "need" to know and what is irrelevant. They need to know EVERYTHING in order to make an accurate diagnosis.
Well that's kinda not ever happening

Quote:
If you go to A&E saying you accidentally overdosed due to a migraine then they will be checking to see you haven't damaged your liver, and then they will be putting any other symptoms down to a combination of your overdose and the migraine
Could still have run the exam. I wasted six hours doing that. For what? A needle in the arm and increased dizziness?

Quote:
(most likely, but cannot say for sure as I also do not have a medical degree).
Doctor superiority again? Their bits of paper mean absolutely f*** all to me. I'll be the judge of their competence as I was the one there and I say they are incompetent

Quote:
So you did not mention the repeated overdoses which I am guessing were a higher dose then the "accidental" one you told them about, you did not mention your eating disorder, you did not mention your chest pains etc, you did not mention your depression. You left out pretty much all of the important information for them to accurately know what is going on.
Depression? Bipolar, irrelevant. The ptsd was irrelevant, as is the eating disorder. That was the highest dose I took out of them all in one go...

Quote:
And I expect you'll still say that they didn't really need to know all of that. But yes, they do. Your 'seizures' could be any number of things. They could be caused by repeated overdoses, they could be caused by being malnourished, they could be panic attacks that tie in with your depression.
Highly doubt they're panic attacks. "it's just anxiety" was their excuse for getting rid of me last time rather than doing ANY form of test

Quote:
So until you go to see a doctor and tell them everything you are going to continue to feel frustrated and not listened to.

I'm not forcing you to do anything. The reason I keep suggesting you see a doctor is because YOU keep posting about these 'seizures', so obviously you are concerned about them, and want something done. Either you ignore them and don't go back to the doctor, or you go back and be honest. Or the third option which I expect you'll do is go back only giving them half the story and then getting frustrated when they are 'incompetent'.

I wish you all the best.
I gave them the relevant information to do with:
What probably caused the seizures, based on when they started
They did not need to know the true reason for the overdose (an attempt) and why would I say if I was avoiding the crisis team??
PTSD, bipolar etc are kinda irrelevant here and the ed isn't exactly relevant either, if it was the seizures would have started BEFORE that overdose

Why would I make a choice that would lead to the one thing I'm trying to avoid? The mental health services?
Oh well guess if they work out the truth, I'll just have to move another hundred miles away from where I am now.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #67
Derpy

I am currently:

Could I have insisted on a neurological examination or is that for the 'superior' ones to decide?
After all, I am the patient. I'm the one who's getting these damn seizures and I am the one who should decide what assessments I'd like run to test FOR THE PROBLEM I WENT IN FOR

Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #68
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

What did they tell you, precisely, in regards to when you bought up the 'seizures'? I would say that we're probably not able to give further advice now that you've sough medical attention, but it's possible, as suggested by others, they didn't view it as neurological/seizures. If it worries you, see your GP, your uni health centre, and see what they advise.

I do agree with others though; if you withhold information you cannot blame them for any perceived errors.

To avoid seeing the crisis team, all you have to say is that you don't want to see them. It probably wouldn't have been suggested anyway.

Is there anything further we can help you with?

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #69
Derpy

I am currently:

Now I've sought medical attention?
That the medical attention was useless and a waste of time. Mine, theirs and absolutely everyone else's?
Haha yeah seriously the rules of this place are in serious need of an update.
The medical attention I was given was worth guess how much?
NOTHING

Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #70
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I see. If you don't agree with the medical opinion you were given I suggest you visit your GP or university health care to sort it out; I don't think we can give you further advice in case it contradicts the opinion of the doctors.

Is there anything we can help you with?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #71
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
I don't think we can give you further advice in case it contradicts the opinion of the doctors.
I'm welcoming non-doctor advice as doctors are obviously incompetent. Well the ones at the hospital I went to are

Old 02-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #72
Derpy

I am currently:

I think I understand why you 'can't' give advice here.
It's cos the site owners are worried about lawsuits

Trust me. The ONLY time I'd Sue this site is if I went to the doctors because everyone here said I should and tjat I wouldn't get sectioned and got sectioned, as you all are so certain it won't happen.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #73
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
The medical attention I was given was worth guess how much?
NOTHING
Well, by a happy coincidence you received your entire visit for free, so no problems there.

Whether you like it or not, the only people who can give you access to this plethora of tests that you want are medical professionals, so you have two choices:suck it up and see a GP and get referred for tests and investigations, or spend your time complaining about the medical profession and not get any tests.

A&E is for emergencies and I'm not even certain if A&E routinely do non-urgent referrals, so once they had established that you were not in any danger, they had to discharge you and leave referrals for investigations to the general practitioners. It seems like you've taken your experience to mean that they don't care or don't believe you, but that's not true at all- they just knew that they weren't the best people to investigate your case, and so will pass it on to the right people, probably via a discharge letter to your GP, but without making contact with your last registered GP, you won't be able to receive the benefits of whatever recommendations for investigations they've made.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 02-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #74
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
Well, by a happy coincidence you received your entire visit for free, so no problems there.
Apart from the seven plus hours I wasted, two hours getting there, four or five messing around there and at the out of hours place & another hour getting home... and the whole day I missed because I was so exhausted

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, the only people who can give you access to this plethora of tests that you want are medical professionals, so you have two choices:suck it up and see a GP and get referred for tests and investigations, or spend your time complaining about the medical profession and not get any tests.
Incompetence? No thanks their incompetence will be the thing that kills me

Quote:
A&E is for emergencies and I'm not even certain if A&E routinely do non-urgent referrals, so once they had established that you were not in any danger, they had to discharge you and leave referrals for investigations to the general practitioners.
I was sent to the out of hours place and they did the basics (pulse, blood pressure, listening to my chest etc), they then sent me to A&E for bloods cos those useless out of hours people can't do it for some reason. I had no referrals from them though, they're pretty much useless.
Didn't do the right tests
Didn't provide me with any referrals
Wasted my time and everyone else's

Old 02-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #75
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Some doctors are okay, you know, not all of them are a waste of time it's just finding the right one

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #76
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Incompetence? No thanks their incompetence will be the thing that kills me
You're perfectly within your rights not to go see your GP, but if that's what you choose, then you have to accept that you won't get the tests you want.

Also, I didn't say they have done referrals for you, I said they will have sent a discharge letter to your GP, and where relevant asked your GP to do the referrals for you. But you won't know about that unless you see your GP. It's not their fault if you don't do that.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 02-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #77
Derpy

I am currently:

I expect for a neurological exam I'd need to go to a hospital? So I don't get why they couldn't just do it
And 'make contact with my old gp'? Over 100 miles away and a bit of a f***head to be totally brutally honest

Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #78
Derpy

I am currently:

I'll explain myself better
That F***HEAD was the assclown who pressured me into the mental health services referral with my abusive mother
So... no thanks... I'm not ever going anywhere near him again.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #79
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColdOne View Post
Some doctors are okay, you know, not all of them are a waste of time it's just finding the right one
Hmm. Yet to find one of those. They all seem rather incompetent. Which is either just bad luck on my behalf or good luck on yours that you have found one who's not as incompetent as these I keep ending up with

Old 02-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #80
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Hi there. I think you need to take a breath. Everyone here is trying to help.

If you are adamant you want a neuro investigation you need to go through these steps:
* see you GP
* have your GP agree this may be neurological and put in a referral
* go to a referral and possibly be referred for more tests or discharged back to GP.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)