RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
TheColdOne

I am currently:
Is anyone in this forum anti-psychiatry?

It seems like everyone here is brainwashed by the doctors, don't let them win, know that they label someone with a disorder and then drug them for money. The medications don't do anything but harm believe me. All force, all money.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
offlineforever
Left RYL

But in the UK we don't pay for treatment?

Left.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

However medication some times does help people get to a more 'stable' position to deal with issues that may be making their mental health issues worse. Sometimes psychiatry is good to help people talk through things and teach them different way to deal with stressors.

Whereas anti-psychiatry may make a person with a daily battle with specific illnesses such as severe psychosis or mania or schizophrenia worse and therefore the may not only harm themselves but also harm others unintentionally.

At the end of the day psychiatry is only as effective as one can make of it. It depends on how much you put into each session and the outcome you would want.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Most of times, at least in my area, medications are a second line of treatment only if methods like counselling or therapy do not work.
For me, talking about my problems does not take away the problem at hand.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
whirlpools

No, I'm not anti-psychiatry. I have a lovely psych. who I trust very much. I've got no problem with others being anti-psychiatry as can understand the reasons why, as long as they don't force their opinions on me.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I find this thread quite dangerous.

There are problems with being too reliant on psychiatry and medication, but equally there are problems in being so anti-psychiatrist and medication that you are willing to make such threads and potentially influence others beliefs. Instead, consider it each to their own.

There is no way you can make a sweeping statement such as 'the medications don't do anything but harm' even if this has been your experience, as medication affects everyone differently. Personally, medication has helped me to be functional and removed the severity of my emotions that were outside a normal, everyday continuum.

Furthermore, hundreds and probably thousands of studies are done into the effectiveness of medication and are shown to have successful results, so it simply isn't a personal opinion of mine.

I don't mind if you don't want to take medication, but please, don't sprout dangerous and unsubstantiated facts in a forum where people may be vulnerable to issues such as this.

If you have experienced issues with medications, psychiatrists or the mental health system you are welcome to talk to us about those.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
TheColdOne

I am currently:

It's the truth, it's not a thing a lot of people are willing to believe though. For years psychiatrists have made it known that their drugs help people. There is no proof, but there is proof these drugs can harm and destroy the mind and body. I hate to say this but we are all victims of this (no i'm not trolling). This is proof i'm right because your all defending psychiatry. I have no problem if you lot want to be drugged and lied to by psychs who are after money. The original question was if anyone was against these dangerous money makers - not if you lot agreed with me. It was a warning, if people believe these psychs then thats their problem. Half of you have probably been voluntary in the wards. If someone is a risk to self - locking them up and drugging them will make this ten times worse. This is my opinion - their after money.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
whirlpools

Me not on meds = not functioning for years and at high risk.
Me on meds = has a life, enjoys it and finds meaning.

I don't know what's not to believe in.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
TheColdOne

I am currently:

whirlpools: So that is proven to be the meds then is it? The doctors say that every part of behaviour of their patients is to do with the meds. The meds help this, the meds help that, you need the meds. Heard it all before.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpelt View Post
It's the truth, it's not a thing a lot of people are willing to believe though. For years psychiatrists have made it known that their drugs help people. There is no proof, but there is proof these drugs can harm and destroy the mind and body. I hate to say this but we are all victims of this (no i'm not trolling). This is proof i'm right because your all defending psychiatry. I have no problem if you lot want to be drugged and lied to by psychs who are after money. The original question was if anyone was against these dangerous money makers - not if you lot agreed with me. It was a warning, if people believe these psychs then thats their problem. Half of you have probably been voluntary in the wards. If someone is a risk to self - locking them up and drugging them will make this ten times worse. This is my opinion - their after money.
I'm about as suspicious around doctors as you can get, and I do agree with you. But not all psychiatrists are the same.
I do think that there is some greater force controlling this. And I also believe that meds are used to control people's brains. Which is why I will only accept meds from doctors that I know well. If a doctor prescribes me medication and I don't know them, then I will not take it.

I have been locked in psych wards for most of 8 years, and I resent it greatly, but I have to admit, I would be dead if I hadn't been locked up, and probably would have hurt a lot of people very badly (including myself) if I hadn't have been drugged up.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

What proof is there that the drugs destroy the mind and the body?

I do disagree (and therefore agree with you) with any doctor that believes improvements are always solely due to medication. But I believe it helps.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
whirlpools

No, I think it's lots of things. But I've been on and off meds for years - been stable when on them and not when off them. I think that's a pretty high coincidence if it's not related.

I'm not saying meds are perfect, not saying that they don't have often damaging side-effects, but I KNOW that without them I'd either be dead or locked up on a hospital ward by now. I'm not going to be on them forever, but for now I need them and they're working for me. I'm not going to delude myself that they're either the spawn of the devil or the answer to all my problems - the likelihood is that it's somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacoethes View Post
I'm about as suspicious around doctors as you can get, and I do agree with you. But not all psychiatrists are the same.
I do think that there is some greater force controlling this. And I also believe that meds are used to control people's brains. Which is why I will only accept meds from doctors that I know well. If a doctor prescribes me medication and I don't know them, then I will not take it.

I have been locked in psych wards for most of 8 years, and I resent it greatly, but I have to admit, I would be dead if I hadn't been locked up, and probably would have hurt a lot of people very badly (including myself) if I hadn't have been drugged up.
A lot of them are in it for the money - you might get a few that aren't but thats very few and far between. They don't drug prisoners though - and they are violent criminals. Why drug people who are risk to self - it really does make some people worse and physically ill things like that haldol stuff. It is so big this industry, we can't stop it happening :(

Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White. View Post
What proof is there that the drugs destroy the mind and the body?

I do disagree (and therefore agree with you) with any doctor that believes improvements are always solely due to medication. But I believe it helps.
People have died - a lot have died, from side effects related to these drugs. Do some research , i'm not lying, That is is they are not traumatised enough from the forced injections.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Which drugs? You'll need to be more specific if I am to research it.

Also you seem to be talking about very serious cases, ie. forced injections and frankly people die from also not being medicated.

I don't think you are lying per se. I think you are overgeneralising.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White. View Post
Which drugs? You'll need to be more specific if I am to research it.

Also you seem to be talking about very serious cases, ie. forced injections and frankly people die from also not being medicated.

I don't think you are lying per se. I think you are overgeneralising.
Antipsychotics or that stuff they use in the wards. Don't believe me? Find out for yourself. Forced meds never do any good apart from traumatizing someone who is already having it rough. No need for it at all. And i'm going to have to be faster replying from all this ganging up.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
whirlpools

I don't think it's ganging up, just difference of opinion.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Doesn't make a difference to me, I know the truth about these so called doctors

Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
whirlpools

That's fine, I have no interest in trying to change your opinion, just assert my own beliefs that I don't experience that I'm being brainwashed in the slightest.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Mate I'm not ganging up on you, I'm merely asking questions about a very strong standpoint on medication. Like I said earlier, it's okay you have a different opinion to me but it's not okay if that opinion is sprouted as the only way to feel about something; for instance, telling me what I believe is a lie.

Also, it is clearer to me now that you are discussing forced medications in wards, which is different to the initial tone of your thread encompassing all medications. I believe they can have negative side effects also, and yes in some cases maybe even death, but sometimes they save lives.

Sometimes being unmedicated also causes death as individuals are unable to tolerate their emotions/feelings/hallucinations or may be too unaware to know that what they are doing is not safe.

I just think there should be some grey area here, instead of talking in absolutes of "no need" for medication.

And I'm not trying to gang up on you, I hope you don't interpret my tone as such.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)