RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Jabberwock

I am currently:
Urgent question

Hi, I'm new to these forums, so if I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

I would just like to ask a simple question. Is a registered therapist (in Canada, specifically) obliged to tell my parents of self harm if I reveal it? I am 17. I believe the privacy form states that they will "break confidentiality if a client is in danger of harming him/herself or others". But that doesn't include SI, does it? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 27-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
scarlet fever

I am currently:

hi. Sorry to be negative, but I believe self harming would be considered 'in danger of harming self or others'. If the privacy form states they may break confidentiality they probably will. They might not tell your parents if it isn't necessary, or you turn 18. Still, your parents could be a important support for your recovery. I hope this helped, I'm here if you need me.

twloha.com go there it helps

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

scarlet fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
ksdfjhlksajf

I know in the US they can, but I don't think they do in some other countries. No clue about Canada though.

Ehh sorry that was pretty useless. *looks for Canadians*

Thank you for all of your help and support. I will no longer be coming to RYL. Semi-explanation will be inside my profile.

ksdfjhlksajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

I think self-harming is classed as being in danger, so I think unless you're over 18 they will tell someone. Hope you're alright. xo.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
StarryEyed.

I am currently:

When I saw a counsellor, she assessed how bad my SH was. So if you are a danger to yourself by causing alot of harm ie, really deep cuts or being suicidal then she may tell someone. Although, I'm in the UK so obviously it can be different. But they might not tell your parents, they might just involve other people to help you like doctors.

If it will be a problem if your parents found out then maybe you could let them know that? And they might respect that and not tell them.

StarryEyed. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

Im a Canadian !
However I am probably not much help as I didnt seek professional help untill I as 19..
HOWEVER..when I saw my therapist for the first time.. she said she would have to involve "necessary authorities or professionals" if i was harming myself or others. After assement and the realization that I was harming myself she didnt rush off and send me away..
However I guess I was over 18 *scratches head*
I think if the extent of your SI is serious they would have to tell your parents? I am not sure though. wow I am no help at all.
*searches for more helpful canadians*

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Ferrydust
LOVE IS THE MOVEMENT

I am currently:

so i was 13 when i fist started seeing one ,
but they aren't obliged to tell your parents of your self harm if you reveal it, they can ONLY tell your parents if they think your a danger to yourself or others that is what my therapist told me when i first revealed it to her, she has yet to tell my parents

Ferrydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
thefabulous
one day I will look at rocks for a living

I am currently:

yay another Canadian :D personally, i have no idea, my parents were the ones that made me see a counceller, and it was because of SI that they did
good luck *hug*

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOLOGY

thefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Jabberwock

I am currently:

I know this is a late reply, but I want to say thanks for everyone who replied. I am doing okay just so you know.

Sounds to me that if I'm not at high risk with my SH (which I'm not, at the moment), my therapist won't break confidentiality. I might talk about it at today's appointment.

Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)