RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 30-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #21
Animad

I would STRONGLY recommend you read the Wound Care Guide and you may also find the Cuts FAQ as well as the Infections one (Found under the advice tab> First Aid > common FAQs and there's a list of them in there) also useful.

Old 30-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #22
Susu.

I am currently:

Animad - serious suggestion here... Make a sticky entitled 'Why Hydrogen Peroxide is evil' to get the message out there... I've noticed a few times now people either suggesting it is used or saying they will use it themselves.

This is Marvin, He is my Be Safe Bee.

Old 30-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #23
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

I understand why you are suggesting that but I genuinely do not understand why people don't read the wound care guides, where it says not to use hydrogen peroxide. I understand people panic and such about wounds, especially when the depth/severity is greater than they have dealt with before. But seriously, if you self harm then it is your responsibility to learn some basic first aid skills, like the ones in the wound care guide. I would put money on people on here still using hydrogen peroxide or asking questions about it even if the sticky was on the top of the FAF.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 30-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #24
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I take your point, I was just really putting my personal view across, which is of course not medical advice. Of course getting medical attention would be preferential in regards to deep wounds. Personally I've used steri strips in that situation, with proper cleaning and dressing and not had infections but again that's just my personal case. I didn't mean to give bad advice/information.

Old 30-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
Animad

It says in VARIOUS places around the articles on the main site NOT to use hydrogen peroxide on wounds as well as in every thread where it has been mentioned. Making a sticky, I feel, will not make a difference as people often just brush over them and don't pay any attention to them and things go back from what has been used in the past and so that is overrun in people's minds to what is said on here and they will often still follow there own way until something goes wrong so I feel it is of little use but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Right, this thread has gone really off course from where it started and I feel that from now on it should be left alone as each time people open it it is going back to the original posters problems which were written around a week ago now. They probably don't want to keep being remided of it if they are looking on the FAF. As well as that, it's not fair for more and more people to read about it. Nothing that is said now is going to help them in this situation as it is too late and so really, I think this thread should be left from now on. Other issues that have been brought up here, if they still want them to be discussed should have their OWN thread and not really be taking over someone elses so can people PLEASE respect this and not post further in this thread or I will end up having to lock it which I feel is a bit unfair on the original poster as she has not done anything wrong on here and may feel part of the closure is down to them which is why I'm not closing it at this point but, I do feel it should be left which includes any further comments towards this post.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #26
Genericdepressedteen

I am currently:
Similar situation...

Hi guys I could really do with some help/advice here....I have also cut though to the bubbles beneath the skin. My problem is I panicked and covered it up with a dressing. I cut it about 24 hours ago. I don't have any steristrips. I really don't know what to do :(

Last edited by Aardbei : 11-08-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Removed size of wound as this is against the rules - please check them
Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #27
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

This is a very old thread, but it's very important that you get it checked out as it may need wound closure, and there are time limites on this.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #28
Genericdepressedteen

I am currently:

I know I probably should, but I can't tonight. If the time limit is 24 hours, is there anything they can do for me now? Really freaking out. I know it's a really old thread but seemed the most relevant, sorry I'm new toRYL, just joined now :( I'm scared. What will happen if I don't? How like I explain it to my parents?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #29
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I think your parents would rather it was sorted than it got worse because you ignored it - it isn't going away. I know it sucks, and I know you're worried about your parent's reaction, but I think you know you need to get it sorted.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Hi there, firstly you don't need to post in already existing threads, you can make your own- look for the "new thread" button at the left on the first aid forum page. But don't worry about that now, just for future reference.

You need to go and get this wound see to. As Sophia has said above, I'm sure your parents would rather you got the right treatment now than have to take you to get treatment for an infection because you ignored the wound! Even though it's more tricky when it's been 24 hours, it's still worth getting it checked out as at the very least they can dress it properly to promote the best possible healing and reduce the risk of infection.

If you don't get it seen to, the risk of getting an infection in the wound increases. If your parents know that you self harm, you could tell them that you've self harmed and that you've cut deeply and hope they might support you in getting the wound seen to. Hopefully they will be pleased that you are taking responsibility for your wounds. If they don't know that you self harm, then maybe you could sit them down and tell them that it's something you've been struggling with and that you've cut quite badly and think the wound needs to be seen by a doctor. It's not an easy conversation, I understand that, but if you aren't able to get to A and E or a walk in centre by yourself, then telling your parent and asking them to take you is the best course of action.

No other sadness in the world would do

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)