RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Anon536747

Wound Care Question - My scar is turning black.

Okay so I don't actually know how threads work but anyways.When I usually cut, a scab is formed and the cut eventually turns in to a colourless scar. Approximately 3 months ago, I cut my thigh. The cut formed a scab. But instead of turning in to a colourless scar, it formed a bright red scar. And I've had that bright red scar for 2 months now. But recently, it's been turning in to a dark brown/black colour. From what I can see the colour is from under the skin and it keeps getting darker. It should've formed a normal scar like 2 months ago but instead I've got a black scar thingy. And I don't think it's bruised. So what's happened? And what should I do? I can't go to the doctors because my parents don't know anything. Please help x

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Animad

Hi,

Sometimes with deeper/ wider wounds or in an area where there is more pressure on the skin, it takes more work for the body to heal a wound and instead of the row skin edges healing nicely together, a bridge is formed. This needs more blood to it to help it to heal and so is a pinky/ red colour. This can be increased by increased blood flow there and any swelling and the resultant scar is raised and pink. Usually this is what's known as a hypertrophic scar which, with time, can heal nicely and fade but they do take time. However, in some cases, usually with Afro-Caribbean skin, a keloid scar can be made. These are different and can be made from tiny wounds as well as large ones (even a little spot) and are due to a genetic defect which causes the scar to kind of have a life of its own and grow out of all proportion. These never go right down in the majority of cases and surgery to resolve them is often unsuccessful as the surgical scars do the same. The most likely thing is that it's a hypertrophic scar.

These scars, because of their rich blood supply and the fact that they're more fragile than the surrounding skin and that they're raised means that they're more vulnerable to pressure on them or friction and blood vessels within them can burst and so the most likely thing is that it is a bit of blood blister.

So long as it's not hot, swollen or painful I wouldn't be too worried about it, if it is then go and get it checked out as it may be some infection has got in there though I don't think this is the case. With time it will improve.

Looking after the scar by massaging it may help. Using something like vit e creams/ coco butter/ bio oil may help further to improve healing and speed it up but it won't happen overnight. Also covering it up with a dressing may help due to the padding and the fact it will reduce the friction over it from your clothes.

Here's an article that may help;
Normal Wound Healing which goes into more info about the healing process.

I thought we had something explaining scars but I can't find one so I'll have a look into that

Old 09-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Animad

I don't know whether this will be of much use, I've not properly looked at it but it does mention about treatment and the gels/ sheets it mentioned may help with this but the other treatments are more for very longterm scarring (ones that gave been in place for yrs)

NHS article on scars

Old 09-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Anon536747

Okay thank you so much :)

Old 26-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
bessymarf

I think, The appearance of scar color will depend upon the body condition also. Better to use the branded creams or gel for these kind of problem.

Last edited by Animad : 26-03-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Removed unauthorised link
Old 26-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Animad

I'm going to close this thread due to it being almost a year old and therefore unlikely to be relevant to the original poster now. Anon536747, if you do want this reopening then feel free to ask and I will gladly do so if you feel it is of benefit to you for it to be open.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)