RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
Snow-In-Wonderland

General Medical Question - Non Urgent - My old scars hurt?

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that all of my old scars on my legs started to hurt like they were bruised.
Now today, all of my scars older then 4 months are painful to touch and actually look bruised really bad.
It's kind of weird and I'm not sure what to do about it, does anyone know what is happening?

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 15-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Animad

Scars at that age are still healing, they continue to remodel (/heal) a lot until they fade but still continue to do this to some extent forever. Whilst this is happening to a high level the blood flow in the scars will be higher and they will also be more fragile so be more prone to bruising than the surrounding skin. This will in itself, along with nerves now growing into the area and the scar tissue contracting will be likely to be causing the pain there. Arnica cream may help with any bruising so you can rub this into the area.

Old 15-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Snow-In-Wonderland

thx that was really helpful ^_^

Old 15-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
.ghost.

I am currently:

Some my scars still hurt over a year after I'd done them, and even now if I pull or prod them a lot (not that I do, but y'know) I think they are still more sensitive than normal skin.
It feels like they're sore "under" the scar as opposed to the scar itself though, is that how it is for yours?

I also occassionally get really old scars (over 2 y/o) starting to 'crack' slightly (sort of dry out a bit and start to open a bit but only the very top layers).
I figured they just take a while to heal sometimes.

HTH.

Help, I'm alive
My heart keeps beating
Like a hammer

Old 16-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Snow-In-Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post
It feels like they're sore "under" the scar as opposed to the scar itself though, is that how it is for yours?

Yes, that's exactly it. It's kind of a weird ache under the skin.

Old 16-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Animad

Yeh, it's because the scar itself has fewer nerve endings in it however the skin is under more tension than it is. It can take a long time for scars to fully heal, really they're 'healing' to some extent (well changing their structure) for the rest of you life, but this should gradually reduce as the stress lessens especially as the scar/ surrounding area soes bruise more easily when scars are relatively 'young'.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Aero

I've had a scar on my stomach for 18 years and it just started having sharp pains & weird twitches in the muscles, Please somebody respond, I like to know what's going on :{

Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Hi there. This is an old thread, so you might like to make your own, new thread. If you are having serious problems it would be worth seeing a doctor I think.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)