Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #1581
MissGranger

I am currently:

Thanks that's true. I will try and tell her tomorrow beforehand. I just feel so silly though

MissGranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #1582
Greyscale
Chat Mod

I think it's totally reasonable to have worries. I know my therapist is EMDR trained and one of the things that she says is pretty standard practice is trying to build some skills for coping with the intense emotions that can arise, so with any luck your psychologist may already be planning to do that!

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #1583
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

It's definitely not silly to ask questions about your therapy, I'm sure the psychologist would welcome them and want to put you at ease as much as possible. I hope it goes well today.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #1584
MissGranger

I am currently:

Thank you both for understanding. I shared with her my worry about it and she explained how it isn't like hypnosis etc. So that as well as our usually good trusting relationship put me at ease. It went okay but I'm not sure if it was meant to work straight away or not she kept asking after doing finger movements what did I notice but nothing seemed different to me so that worries me. I'm also worried because I've made up a "safe place" and I'm not sure it fits right with me but I can't think of anything else

Old 19-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #1585
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

It's very early on in the process, it might all seem a bit strange and like it's not really helping at the moment but that could change with time. It's worth a try anyway and see how you get on. Is it a safe place you've to imagine in your head? I would find that quite difficult to do. What is it that doesn't fit right for you?

Old 20-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #1586
MissGranger

I am currently:

Yeah I guess so. Yes it is. I am finding it so difficult. Just because it's similar to my lounge and that isn't always a safe place. I can't think of anywhere else. Now my psychologist is on annual leave til the 6th Jan. I don't know how to cope.

I'm going into London today with a close friend to see the horse show but I'm so anxious.

Old 20-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #1587
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Does it need to be a real place? Could it be something you make up, like a place that has all the aspects and things that make you feel safe?

Talk to any of the staff you get on with while your psychologist is away, you can get through this.

How was the horse show?

Old 21-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #1588
MissGranger

I am currently:

We did make up a place but it seems so similar to my actual living room so I don't know. I don't think this is gonna work for me.

I woke up yesterday at 5.30am with flashbacks of how I found my friend dead. It took the staff 3 hours to attend to me and get me some ice. They didn't even bother to do the TIPP skill with me which would have helped a lot more.

The horse show was brilliant thanks. I'm glad I went but I'm so tired and my anxiety levels were so high cause it was so busy

Old 22-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #1589
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I guess nowhere would always be a safe place but thinking about somewhere that mostly makes you feel safe could be a start.

I'm sorry you had an upsetting morning. Could you let the staff know that TIPP stuff would be more useful for you during times like that?

I'm glad you enjoyed the horse show, well done for going.

Old 23-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #1590
MissGranger

I am currently:

Yeah I just can't think of anywhere, real or made up.

I have written a letter to the ward manager about the fact that I had to wait 3 hours to be attended to when I was distressed etc and that the TIPP skill can really help and should be clear in my care plan/notes.

Thank you. It was hard at times but it was good.

Old 23-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #1591
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Maybe as you get more into the EMDR you'll figure out a safe place that works for you.

I hope the ward manager updates your notes and informs the staff of what you think is useful for you.

How are you today?

Old 23-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #1592
MissGranger

I am currently:

I hope so, although I'm meant to be practicing it everyday so I don't know what to do.

Thanks. I hope they do too. I might bring it up in my next ward review just to be sure.

I'm struggling to get in the mood for Christmas especially since I found my friend dead. The flashbacks are awful. I am looking forward to seeing family though.

Old 23-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1593
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I was thinking, is there a safe place that you've read about or seen in a film that you could use? Or if the safe place you have created now suits you just not that it's like your lounge, if you're not afraid of heights could you imagine that room being in a tree house? So you'd imagine yourself climbing up the ladder to get in? I have no idea how safe place stuff in EMDR works so I apologise if I'm talking complete nonsense.

That sounds like a good idea to bring it up in your ward review, it's important that you have your say and get the treatment you need.

I can imagine that must be really distressing. Are you talking things through with people when you can? When are you seeing your family? I hope you have a nice time with them.

Old 23-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #1594
MissGranger

I am currently:

I just can't think of anywhere. You're not talking complete nonsense at all. Thank you for your suggestions and generally your support.

Unfortunately we've got a new ward consultant who I've seen once before when I was under the crisis team. I'm scared.

No not really, just trying to put a brave face on all the time. I saw some of my family today and meant to be seeing them across the week as well.

Old 24-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #1595
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

What scares you about seeing the new consultant? Did you have a difficult experience with them in the past? I hope they will look at things with fresh eyes and support you to get well.

It's ok to put on a brave face but you need to be talking too, it wouldn't be good if things built up to breaking point.

I hope seeing your family cheers you up a bit.

Old 24-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #1596
MissGranger

I am currently:

Because I find it intimidating and I've only met him once before and I believe he mis diagnosed me and I'm worried he'll do the same again.

My family just want me to be happy all the time and I can't be. I am debating wether or not to see them today or at all over the Christmas period at all. I don't know what to do.

Thank you

Old 24-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #1597
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Have you spoken to any of the nurses about your concerns? Maybe things will be different with the consultant with the nurses there to support you.

Do you think it would help to see your family as a bit of a distraction?

Old 25-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #1598
MissGranger

I am currently:

I haven't spoken to them about the new consultant no. I spoke to them about my friend who died and not sure whether I should go to my parents or not...in the end I decided to go and it was good thanks. I managed to stay distracted most of the time. I hope you too have a lovely Christmas.

Old 25-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #1599
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I'm glad you managed to speak about some of the things you were concerned about and that you had a nice time at your parents. I hope you have a peaceful day today.

Old 25-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #1600
MissGranger

I am currently:

Thank you. It was okay today thanks. Hard at times though.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)