Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Caffeine.

How does caffeine affect you?

I drank too much coffee yesterday (6 cups :/ but it was white coffee) because I was desperately tired. I ended up going hypomanic and I had to take extra meds to make myself sleep at night.

But even if I drink 2 cups of coffee in one day, I feel sped up and hyper, and I talk too much.

Coca Cola / Pepsi gives me headaches and makes me really hyper.

Red Bull makes me go mad.

Tea is ok but only 2-3 cups a day max.

Do you get this from caffeine?

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
whirlpools

I haven't noticed a difference with tea and cola, but drinking one cup or more of strong coffee tends to be bad for me. It makes me vomit and also get.palpitations and often get very anxious and sometimes angry. It feels uncomfortable. Also the last time i had an energy drink which was about five years ago, i stayed awake all night then got up early the next morning and went to.Leeds by train just to get a croissant.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Sketchy

I am currently:

When I was a student I drank lots of coffee and I was fine. I have also used red bull with no problems to get me through work in the past.

Since I've been at my worst in terms of mh problems, I can't drink energy drinks. It makes my heart pound so much. I can drink coffee, tea, and coke, but I can't drink as much as I used to because it makes my heart feel like it's pounding. Maybe it's because of meds, I don't know. Or maybe my body has changed in how it reacts to caffeine.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
beautiful_seclusion

I am currently:

I've always been very sensitive to caffeine. It's worse if I take it near taking my ADHD medication. I also notice if I'm extremely tired it sometimes just helps me wake up, but if I'm not that tired when I drink it, it makes me have heart palpitations, tall really fast, have racing thoughts, etc. The effect also lasts a long time. I've not slept til 5am before from drinking it in the late morning, which makes no sense. So I try to avoid it or at least time it to be early in the morning. Coffee or espresso seems worse than soda too.

Stereotypes are the epitome of human laziness.
- me

beautiful_seclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I am the same as you in my reaction, including in regards to tea. I drink caffeine-free tea now after I started to have panic attacks a week after beginning to drink coffee (after many months of not drinking it). So yes, I react the same way.

Caffeine is a stimulant so it makes sense that it increases things like your heart rate and can induce hypomania symptoms in some people too. You're not alone..

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Emmabob.

I am currently:

caffeine usually triggers hypomanic episodes with me. coffee, energy drinks, dr pepper (bummer)..

Emmabob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

I can drink tea all day long and not have a problem but more than 3 cups of coffee makes my mind race, heart pound and so on. Energy drinks is a completely different reaction, I used to drink loads of the stuff before I became ill but since becoming unwell I can't control myself after taking it, I just feel rotten and become a horrid manic state. So no you're not alone!

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I am not meant to drink caffeine, due to a heart condision and that it can trigger off psychotic symptoms and mania... However, I have a mild caffeine addiction so drink a lot of it... as such it doesn't effect me much, in fact it's when I without it that I feel iffy. Used to be far far worse, I used to get migranes and mood swings if I didn;t drink caffeine lol, now I just get a bit headachey and short tempered...

but ye, a lot of pople with MH issues find that caffeine triggers off symptoms to my understanding

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

I pretty much drink coke / pepsi all day long.
It probably doesn't help my anxiety at all, but without it I feel energy-less.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
findingmyself

I am currently:

Coffee does nothing for me to keep me awake. I never tried drinking more than one coffee in a day so I don't know if drinking more than just one cup of coffee will get my hyper and awake or not.

findingmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Steel Maiden

My migraines get triggered by diet soda drinks, especially Diet Coke, which makes me feel very ill. I can drink the sugary ones (don't care about the sugar lol) but they make me hyper.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

I'm addicted to diet coke, I go through bottles of it. I love tea too, and I drink quite a few energy drinks. Not a massive coffee drinker but it doesn't have any bad effects on me. I guess I'm pretty immune to caffeine, you'd think I'd be seriously addicted with the amount I drink but I can go a few days without it with no problems

Three cheers for love of the simplest kind.
The coins I flip land on their sides.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Steel Maiden

I went through caffeine withdrawal several times and I had a several day long migraine each time.

Old 13-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Cacoethes
ˇViva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I am addicted to coca cola. I get quite bad withdrawal if I don't have any!

I used to take a lot of caffeine pills every day, but I got quite unwell from them. Never again.

There have been times when I have had more caffeine than usual in a day and I have become very agitated and very hyper. To the point where my CPN told me to take PRN and stop drinking caffeine altogether.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I'm addicted to caffeine! It's not good, but to be honest of all my damaging habits it's one of the ones I'm least concerned about. It doesn't bother me, though others would disagee. I do'nt sleep well and have tachycardia, but I know that my sleep has been bad since before I used caffeine, and the tachycardia came on due to an overdose.
I cut down a lot now and then, but during stressful times I use it as it helps me feel in control (caffeine rather than food and the like).

And I love tea so much I couldn't not drink it. But I do have decaff teabags as well, so I can switch.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
cloudedmind

I am currently:

I don't think caffeine does anything to me during the day, unless I am really tired in which case it seems to perk me up (which then means I have to keep drinking it to keep myself awake).

However, if I have a lot of caffeine in one day (like 6 cups of tea or more) then I struggle to sleep even when I am exhausted. Also, if I consume both energy drink and coffee/tea in a short time frame, I'll get awful migraines.

(I worked in a coffee shop for the past two and a half years, and if I had a lot of the coffee on shift, I'd shake, but I think that's because of the pure strength of the coffee!)

cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #17
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

I am currently:

Caffeine can make me feel hypomanic too. My brain gets so wired if I have one than one cup of tea, or more than half a 330ml can of a caffeinated drink. I only ever drink caffeine now a couple of times a month, and that's usually because tea comforts me.

I drink a lot of Sprite/7up/Tango because they don't have caffeine. I don't drink diet drinks because my body really does not like that level of aspartame.

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Not really as I am a heavy drinker of red bull and tea and basically everything with caffeine i just feel normal-ish and less tired.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)