Live Help

Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:
Crashed my car

So yes, apologies for having to post. Yesterday I slipped on a mixture of oil and rain on the road, over corrected and ended up hitting an oak tree on the passenger side, swerving to try and miss it and the drop and hitting a sign post instead of missing whilst doing about 40mph. Police happened to be passing and asked if I wanted an ambulance. I declined because nothing hurt at the time.

Anyway, a bit later I began to get the expected aches/stiffness in my shoulder, back and hips. Presume just bruising. I also started to get pains/uncomfortable feeling in my right arm and particularly both sides of my wrist when I use it, twist it or put pressure on it. It is hard to tell if it is swollen because of the amount of scar tissue. My hand is maybe marginally swollen though. I can move it and everything and it is not really painful, just uncomfortable and sore so it can't be broken right? Any ideas? I know it is hard to tell without seeing it. The left one is also uncomfortable but to a lesser extent, and the pain is further up the outside of my arm.

Thanks

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 04-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

No idea but i hope your okay, that sounds horrible.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
~Grace~

Im so sorry to hear of your accident Emma. Could it be that your wrists/hands got jarred from holding onto the steering wheel during the impact. I think, although aches and pains are to be expected after such an accident..it may be better to get checked out hun to be on the safe side. Much love xx

Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Emmabob.

I am currently:

u can have breaks if u can still move it. I know from my own experience I was moving my hand/wrist when i'd broke my wrist & arm.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Animad

You need to get checked out at the hospital. It may be theres just a bit of swelling because of the impact and how you were holding the steering wheeling and everythings a bit jarred but it could be there is more damage. Really after any accident it's a good idea to get checked over at the hospital, even if you feel fine, because at first you will have tons of adrenaline (epinephrine) going around your body which stops you feeling pain as much and allows you to keep going so straight after an accident you don't really know the extent of the injuries you may have. It may also be possible you've broken something, even if it's just a tiny hairline fracture, it's impossible to tell but you should go and get yourself fully checked out sooner rather than later as it may be minor things now may cause more problems down the line or become more severe as you keep doing things as normal and don't realise you have an injury.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to the out of hours service to see if I could go to minor injuries unit instead of A&E, explained what was wrong and they had a doctor call me back who told me not to bother. He said it was probably just deep tissue damage putting pressure on the nerves and the fact it was not badly swollen and I could move it meant it was probably fine but if it got worse to make a GP appointment. He said the pain in the back, neck and shoulder was probably deep tissue damage as well and it should go in a couple of weeks. I'm a little surprised he said not to bother getting it actually looked at but least it saves an afternoon in a&e I guess!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

To be completely honest, I would go to A & E anyway. I do not get how even a Doctor could tell you that without actually seeing it and having a feel around. Also, better to be safe then find out you had broken it and made it worse by not getting it treated quickly.
I would hasten to agree with Kim about the adrenaline thing as apparently, after my car accident, I tried to get out of the car with two femoral open fractures.
Hope that made sense.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks very much for the reply. I thought it was a little strange he could make a judgement without seeing me. I only called to find out if minor injuries could do the necessary checks rather than waiting in a&e. Might pop into minor injuries tomorrow. Pain etc seems to be worse at night, I presume cos I've been using it all day. Thanks again. Glad you are recovering from your accident (especially since from what I gather yours was pretty serious) x

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
caz23

I too would err on the side of caution and get checked out just incase. It can't possibly do any harm, and I'm sure that it will offer you a great deal more reassurance than a doctor telling you over the phone that you are "probably" alright!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Cheers. But yeah, I would deffinitely get checked over by minor injuries at least. Hope it's all good news!

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Minor injuries said my back and neck were classical whiplash style injuries and should fix themselves in the next few weeks. They said my wrist did not need to be x/rayed but strapped it and said they thought it was deep tissue damage to go back. They also said my other arm had some tissue damage do that has a stretch bandage as well. Basically nothing serious wrong, just deep tissue injuries. Thanks again for all the support. My back/neck is still painful as ever ad my hips are sore but my wrists/hands seem to be improving pain wise although the colouring is no better. Guess it is just a waiting game.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Kame

I am currently:

^ I'm glad you got it checked. My partner was in a similar situation where he didn't need an amubulance at the time, but had to get checked over later and we finally found out he had damaged his back. I hope you feel better soon.

You can't lose hope when it's hopeless.
You gotta hope more,
then put your fingers in your ears and go,
"Blah blah blah blah!"

I miss you Pip ♥

Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
~Grace~

So pleased you went to get checked over Emma. I hope your pain eases soon and that you start to feel better. Much love x

Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thank you. My wrists/arms are already feeling lots better less than a week after the accident. My back has been very sore today but I am guessing that is because I carried some books in my bag today. Today it has been the worst since the accident Hopefully if I take it easy tomorrow it should be ok. They did say if it was no better in a couple of weeks they would refer to physio. I don't think my um, well, rather ample chest is helping with the back pain either though. *woe*

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Kame

I am currently:

Have you tried using those heated back pads to ease the pain in your back? My partner found those more helpful than the painkillers he was given.
Try to rest up for a little while as well, don't rush yourself off your feet.
Hope you feel better soon.

You can't lose hope when it's hopeless.
You gotta hope more,
then put your fingers in your ears and go,
"Blah blah blah blah!"

I miss you Pip ♥

Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Animad

Yeah, I'd make a conscious effort not to carry anything heavy unless you really need to over the next couple of weeks. Make sure you're regularly moving around, even if you don't feel like it, just to ensure that your joints keep moving and so that you don't stiffen up quite as much. As well as that just generally take it easy and if it continues to cause you problems in a weeks time go and see your GP.

I also agree that using heat as a therapy may also really help and for some people using that in combination with cold therapy (so using ice (with a damp towel or similar between the skin and ice) for up to 15mins every hour) may also really help; sometimes the heat/ cold in combo helps better, sometimes it doesn't, it depends on the individual. I know when my back's sore I can't stand to have anything cold near it cut with others it can be really beneficial.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)