Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #1
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:
What to do about uni stuff

Sorry for yet another thread here.

Basically, I'm a bit stuck with what to do.
I'm studying with the OU and I'm about to complete my 3rd module, it would be the 4th (making it a whole first year) but I had to drop the other one because of a bad depressive episode earlier this year.

Anyway, I was thinking about quitting the degree after I finish this module. I'm not very good at it and have stopped enjoying it.
But I feel like I should at least try and complete a whole year.
But I don't think I'll be able to handle it.
I've already got the minimum amount of credits needed to get onto the course I want to do at a brick uni so there's no real benefit to carrying on.

I just don't know what to think!!!
And it's 4am so probably won't even remember posting this in 10 minutes time.

Just looking for opinions really. I'm not good at the whole thought process thing at the moment! Especially with this, I'm really torn!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 19-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Can you 'pause' things? I think that's what I'd do if it was an option - so not quitting, just postponing finishing.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

What about doing a pros and cons list

Pros - you finish a year, you don't quit etc

Cons - you have enough to transfer, you don't enjoy it etc

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'm going to a uni open day on the 13th so I might be able to talk to someone then.

I have another 5 years of this degree and I just can't see myself doing it. I already deferred a module earlier this year.

I think the cons of continuing outweigh the pros. I'd be carrying on for a whole year, doing a module that (no joke) reduces me to a blubbering mess.

But yeah, I have a bit of time to decide as the next module doesn't start until February so I can speak to the OU about it and speak to them at the open day next month.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 19-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

It's great that you could go to a brick uni. They are loads of fun. But you do have to remember that brick unis are full time so the work load is bigger therefore making the work somewhat harder. If your struggling part time you might have to consider weather you could do the same type of work to a good level in half the time.
I'm not saying you can't just that it is a little harder in my experience.

You can get extentions at uni if your ill but you can't drop modules or slow down your study. That's why i found brick unis hard because sometimes i needed like a month or 2 off for sickness and it was hard to get. Whereas with open uni it's easier to work the study around your illness.

If your not enjoying your current modules at the OU there is always the option of doing an open degree and choosing the modules as you go and just choosing the ones your interested in.

What you planning on studying at A brick uni?

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Last time you posted this question I said essentially the same as Kate in that going full time at a brick uni is hard because you take 4 to 5 modules per year whereas with the OU you do one or two a year. And as you've needed to drop the maths module and have extensions I'm not sure if you'd manage full time at university where they are much stricter about deadlines and plus there's all the exams in January and again in June.

I don't want to put you off at all, and I know you're researching it all which is great. Going to the open day will be a great opportunity to find out everything.

Will you be considering going to UEA part time rather than full time? That might be a lot more manageable and you'd still get your part time tuition fee loan (but no maintenance loans or grants that you get when studying full time).

I guess if you've definitely, definitely decided to go to a brick uni then carrying on with the OU on a degree/module you do not enjoy would be pointless. However, if you're not sure what you're going to do then I would personally switch to a different degree pathway with the OU and just pick modules you enjoy. It would be worth considering doing the Open Degree where you have LOADS of choice of modules and you can pick the ones you are interested in.

Also if the maths is concerning you then look into some maths courses nearby. Often if you've not got a C or above in GCSE maths then local colleges and adult education centres offer free GCSE maths courses. Because if you did go to a brick uni you couldn't avoid maths there either! You'll have to face it and one time or another (I know, I absolutely DESPISE it too).

Can you ring the OU and explain roughly how you're feeling and find out your options? And you could also ring the admissions department of UEA also and find out what they think.

UCAS will be re-opening soon for full time applications for the 2015/16 academic year, but if you wish to study part time then you apply directly to the university.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

It's also good to think about what you want to do after your degree. I know it feel like a long way off but it is important.

I know you're doing health sciences and if your thinking about going down the health care or science route (ie nursing, medicine, biology, biomedical science, psychology, ect) you will need to have some maths on your degree. Most science is based on mathematical equations so it's hard to get away from in health care and science.

So if you're really struggling maths or you really dislike the subject maybe it would be good to consider weather a science degree is the best way forward or weather you would find an arts degree easier.
If you really want to do health care science you might just have to push through the maths modules and get them done. There are modules in all degrees (at OU and brick unis) that we all hate but sometimes you just have to get through them because they are essential.
Use the forum or fb groups online if your struggling to understand maths problems.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 19-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I totally forgot I posted a similar thread a while ago, sorry! Was clouded by sleep deprivation!

I have thought about how I'd cope with more work and I think I'd be better off at a brick uni because there is more physical support, you'd know people on the same course that you could talk to about it, there would be a library that will probably help and I have never been to an OU tutorial because they are held at the college I went to when I was 17/18, they put me in the learning difficulties class because of my mental health and I had to leave when I got sectioned for 2 years, so I am reluctant to go back there.

I've decided against the science route. I can do a certain amount of maths, just not the amount that's required for science. Like I was able to pass the maths test for a HCA job.

I'm thinking that I'd like to do nursing, but not entirely sure yet. I should be starting a job in a care home as soon as my DBS check comes back which will hopefully help me make up my mind, like whether I'd want it as a career.

I would find an arts degree easier, but I can't see anything like that actually getting me anywhere. I need to do a degree with a good chance of a career afterwards.

Honestly, I feel a bit under pressure from my family, even though my mum has explicitly said that she doesn't expect anything from me at all and anything that I actually do is a bonus (she didn't mean it in a horrible way, still a bit upsetting though) and my step dad, although he's a lot better now, is very much of the opinion that you need to work for what you have and have a good job and career instead of dossing around on benefits. Which is basically what I'm doing at the moment.
My 18 year old brother is going to uni next month and I still hate the fact that I never even got the chance to even apply for uni when everyone else was.
I want to do full time because I feel like I've wasted enough time now. I feel like I'm running out of time. It's already hard enough knowing that I'm considered a mature student.
It's mostly in my head, but I can't get away from it.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 19-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I did a nursing degree and the maths can be quite hard. I'm good at maths and i found it difficult. Mainly because you are expected to get 100% in maths exams.
For my drugs calculation test in 1st year you had to get 100% or your couldn't progress to 2nd year and it was a lot harder than a test for a HCA job. That's litteraly no mistakes. A lot of people failed. So that is something to consider.

also nursing courses are renowned for being harder than the average undergraduate degree because of the work load and i can tell you now if you get ill no amount of library resources or help from friends will aid you in getting extentions. And as for getting time of placement. That's even harder.
The hardest part when you have an illness is doing 40 hours a week in placement and having to come home and do more uni work. Also you get no leeway on night shift you will have to do them even with you epilepsy diagnosis, its an NMC requirement. How would that affect your seizures?
It's a really intense course and tbh I'd rather do a pure science degree any day over that course again.
Also you can not choose any modules. They are all set by the NMC so if you hate a module, tought! I found a lot of the modules really boring too but I guess that's a personal thing.

I'm not saying you can't do it im just saying please consider weather you would be ok on such an intense course because if it's too much and you have to drop out it will make you feel really bad about yourself and it's hard to transfer nursing credits back over to OU study.

There is also the issue of passing occupational health which is really hard on nursing courses and they have little sympathy if your ill (ironically).

As for feeling like your running out of time. You really are not. When I was at a brick uni studying a science course there was a lecturer there who said he started his undergraduate degree when he was 35 and did his PhD at 40. He's now a top lecturer. Yea he got there late but so what.
There was woman on my nursing degree who started when she was 51. She was a grandma and you know what she was one of the best nurses on the course because she had a load of life experience behind her.

My brother and sister are both younger than me and both have a degree. They graduated 2 and 3 years ago respectively. The both work in offices. They are on minimum wage and their jobs have nothing to do with their degree. They started their degrees when whey were teenagers.

So really age is just a number and success is not based on what age you achieve anything.
You should achieve in life because you want to not because friends and family think you should. At the end of the day your the one who will have to work in your chosen field not your friends and family so you might as well choose a subject you enjoy and achieve your career at your own pace so your happy with the outcome.
There really is no rush.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 19-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks for sharing your experience Kate, it's really helpful to have that insight from someone who has done it :)
I'm not certain yet on what I want to do and I haven't got a set time to do it, so I've got plenty of time to think and hopefully work in a care setting to see how I get on, I may hate it and decide healthcare isn't for me at all!

I feel like I need to prove something to everyone (as well as myself) and I'm terrified of ending up like my dad.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 19-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

I can relate to being scared of ending up like my parents but I don't think you will, you're already trying to further your life and do something with it so I think that's a good start :)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks Katie :)

I might try and find a careers advice place or something, I know it's been suggested before so I'll actually get onto it this time!

I really want to do a degree that I can turn into a career if that makes sense.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 20-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I've probably mentioned this before, but is an access course an option? I know you've started your degree, but access provides a nice level base on which to build from, and it's good if you've narrowed down your options but aren't quite ready for traditional uni.

Otherwise, work experience might be worthwhile if you're not sure what you want to do?

Old 20-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Seconding the access to HE diploma. I did mine in social studies and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the equivalent of 4 A levels but I found it easier to cope with than A levels. Plus they give you the GCSE level english, maths and IT courses too as part of the diploma. Mine was 100% coursework so no exams to worry about.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

Old 20-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

I agree as well. I did a mixed science and maths foundation year first but hated it, transferred to the social science foundation year and passed it with a first and now I'm doing a degree at a red brick uni going into my third year. It is possible. It might take some time to figure out what you want to study. For me, the foundation years showed me I much preferred social sciences rather than proper science subjects.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #16
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'll try and check out my local college as I seem to be having a productive phase I might actually do it this time

i think you might have to pay and im a bit not sure about going to that college because I was there when **** got bad and sectioned for 2 years (obvs not because college but still!) and i think my mum had to pay for me to go and I was 18

worth a go anyway! if I quit my degree after this module then I can try and do a foundation course thingy instead of doing nothing!!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 21-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #17
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

That sounds like a good plan.
I think you do, but you can get student finance for it, I believe.

Old 21-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #18
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I didn't pay for my access course even though I was 20 or 21 at the time because it was my first full level 3 qualification (ie A levels) so if you don't have any complete level 3 qualifications then you should get it free. Also there should be a 'benefit rate' if you do have to pay which will be reduced if you're on benefits. And failing that you can now get student finance to cover access courses I believe.

If you do go back to the same college then remember- you're different now. You're older, you're managing in the community more than before. It doesn't mean it will be the same as last time.

Old 21-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I'll go to the college tomorrow and ask about stuff!
there are a couple of diferent campuses so maybe i'LL get to go to a diffrent one but I doubt it!

I think i'd actualy prefer to do a levels again!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 22-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #20
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Good luck, I hope things go well.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)