RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
musicmad123
my invisible cat thinks you're weird...

I am currently:
Getting a job

So I've been out of hospital for about 3 months now(major OD due to severe depression, social anxiety disorder with PTSD traits and problems with sensory overload. The OD resulting in liver problems for me, but it doesn't really affect me at the moment), one friend in particular keeps saying I need to get a job and i can't just hide away at home forever. Obviously I know I can't continue doing nothing for ever, but I'm getting employment and support allowance, implying that i am too ill to be working at the moment. I feel pretty guilty sponging off the tax payer, but I was, and still am very ill, and at the moment receiving no treatment or support (frigging waiting lists!)
Do you guys think I should be looking for a job? Even if I got as far as applying, how do employers react to mental illness these days, because I feel that I would mention it, it's likely that my illness would effect my work. Would anyone even offer me a job? x
Sorry for that massive post!

Let the Force be with you
I'm not short, I'm space efficient

musicmad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 06-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
whirlpools

I think you should take this time to stabilise and not add the pressure of a job to yourself at the moment. Making sure you have activities going on in your life is important, because there's little more unhelpful than sitting on your couch all day, I know. Would you think about looking into a bit of voluntary work?

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

^This. I'm pretty much in the same position and taking the above approach.

Sir Phillip: Veg-a-ta-pal extraordinaire!

Foxtrot Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Sigma

I am currently:

I agree with what's said. Getting treatment isn't 'sponging' it is 'getting treatment'. Voluntary work can be great for getting enjoyment, structure and social interaction, if you're ready for it.

Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
musicmad123

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies, I do have some hobbies in the daytime and evenings and I have a voluntary job during school holidays, I know I need to get better and not put pressure on myself, just fed up of friends asking me why i haven't got a job yet. uhhh

Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
twinkletears
Live for Today and Fight for Tomorow

I am currently:

I think only you can tell if you are ready for a job yet. However it may do you wonders meeting new people etc. I find having a job does get your mind of the bad things so it does help, whereas sitting at home you think about it all the time.
Why not apply for a part time job to start with. There is no reason why anyone should not employ you there must be an act against it, usually food retail which is where i work are very supportive to things like this.

Im alone and im hurting

-------- Help Me ---------

twinkletears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletears View Post
Why not apply for a part time job to start with. There is no reason why anyone should not employ you there must be an act against it, usually food retail which is where i work are very supportive to things like this.
You do have to be careful even with part time jobs. If you do go for a paid job, then you are limited to certain hours/certain pay (it's called permitted work) otherwise they will decide that you are capable of work. You will also have to inform the DWP about this. Details of permitted work are found on the direct.gov website.

Like twinkletears said, only you know if you are ready. Personally speaking I dont think you are ready. You are definitely not sponging on the taxpayer: you have a genuine illness. The spongers are the single mothers (especially those that have several kids by several different fathers), and the idle people who are genuinely capable of work, but think that the taxpayer should pay for their way of life, and get drunk every weekend, without respect for those who have their taxes paying for their "lifestyle". They just cannot be bothered finding work because they know the government will pay, not people who have an illness/disability which is life limiting and have to live with it every single day.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
surviver15
Sometimes things aren't so simple..

I am currently:

Yeah, I agree with everyones posts. <3 just see how you feel.

surviver15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
musicmad123

I am currently:

Thanks peeps :), I guess if I did get a job I would be ok with not receiving benefits anymore, I'm back living with my parents so I've got them if I wasn't making enough.
I did think I would be better off not sitting at home thinking, but after considering it, I do feel that where I am doesn't affect how I feel, as oh who? wrote the Bell jar, anyway a quote from that, wherever I am I stilll feel the same basically. Ok I am rambling. Thanks for the replies people, much appreciated, I'm looking at college courses for September atm.x

Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
beautifulpain

I am currently:

If your recieveing benefits and the benefit people aren't pushing you to look for a job, then they probably don't think your ready. If you don't feel ready yourself, then you shouldn't feel pressurised into getting a job because of what other people around you are saying. If you try and rush into it too quickly it could backfire whereas if you wait till your ready then the chances are you would be able to hold down a job if you felt well enough.

College courses sound a good idea, at least then you have more time to adjust to being out of hospital. Voluntary work is also great for keeping yourself busy. I love doing work with animals personnally as I find it really rewarding.

beautifulpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
FixMe19
Holding onto patience wearing thin.

I am currently:

Yeah don't rush into a job ...take care of yourself first and get back on your feet first....remember, step by step is usually the best approach to things!

FixMe19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)