RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
aaa28

Need advice...houseguest not leaving while apartment lease is expiring

I need some advice how to deal with this situation I have. I live in usa...I have an apartment in my name. Many months ago a friend has asked me if she could stay over for a few days. I said sure you can hangout here for a bit until you're ready to leave. Well few days turned into few months, she never left, never put her name on the lease, and even after I made it clear to her she's not welcome anymore she wouldn't listen. Finally she had agreed to leave when the lease expires, which is a few days from now.

In the last minute she's like I can't leave I'm not ready yet. She has tons of furniture and belongings that would be impossible to pack in the last minute. Actually I'm not supposed to let anyone else live there long term, it was part of the lease agreement but I didn't realize that. I'm wondering, if I just left her as is and let apartment office deal with her while I vacate....could I be sued by apartment? Apartment office is expecting an empty apartment and they're not going to see that when they see her there. I'm really worried and paranoid how this is going to play out in next few days.

aaa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 30-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
ajrocks

I am currently:

oh dear that doesn't sound good :(
Have you got a place you can go to for free advice in the usa? over here we have citizens advice that will offer advice on all sorts of things this included.
Its my understanding that because you are the one on the lease and not her and it states in your lease that you cannot have anyone living there long term if she doesn't vacate then they would probably find out she has been living there (what is their version of long term though? does it state that in the lease?) if they feel she has been there long term they would probably hold you responsible as she isn't on the lease.
However I would do what you are doing start moving out she may well think damn I need to shift! but I would definitely seek advice from someone who knows about these things just in case she carries on being difficult,also re-read your contract as you may find it states the legalities their.let us know how it goes good luck :)

"And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off."

"What others think of me is none of my business".

ajrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
PoppyLove

I am currently:

Might seem a bit extreme, but could you call the police on her? Technically, she's trespassing.

Otherwise, yes, going for legal advice would be a good idea. If your landlord is kind, perhaps you could explain the situation and how it got out of control?

PoppyLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)