RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:
Quetiapine

I was offered the anti-psychotic Quetiapine by my psych. I think it would be very helpful for me right now, but I'm very very worried about the weight gain. I know all anti-psychotic medications carry that risk, but I fear it would make me feel worse. I've heard stories online that people gain like 80lb and it's so difficult to get rid of.

Why does it cause you to gain weight? Is it because it increases your appetite?

Does anyone have any experiences with Quetiapine?

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I found the meds helped me and what weight gain I had was not to do with the meds, but rather other things.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
Irisflower

I am currently:

Meds are different for everyone; for me, I was on it for a year and I had the weight gain. Am now on the antipsychotic Latuda.

Irisflower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I have been on it for about 5 years and it's been pretty much weight neutral. If I have had a dose change sometimes I gain a little in the short term but after a little while it goes down again.

When my weight has increased due to poor diet and lack of moving I have been able to lose it again by making more sensible food choices.

There are times when I crave fatty foods much more than I would normally which I think is down to the quetiapine but if I don't give in to them they go away. Takes a bit longer if I do give in!

I was unsure about the medication at first but it has done wonders for my mood. I know there are others that have other experiences though

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Arienette

I am currently:

I've had slight weight gain but nothing that outweighs the benefit of quetiapine for me. For me it's nothing like olanzapine weight wise, which is a good compromise.

Over the years, it's been the most agreeable and effective anti-P I've had overall.

The hunger also wears off over time, so with some conscious effort eating enough and not over eating is definitely achievable. X

Staring at white washed walls

Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Ktulu

I take it and it has increased my weight significantly. It stimulates my appetite quite strongly. However it hasn't stopped me losing weight if I am disciplined.

Be kind - everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 05:37 AM   #7
CatFairy

I am currently:

I have been on it for roughly 3 years and it hasnt caused me any weight gain

CatFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Quetiapine can cause weight gain, but not as much as olanzapine normally does.

Although saying that, I am generalising. Everyone's pharmacokinetics are different.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
GrimmFaerieTale

I've been on it for about 5 years and I have gained a lot of weight in that time. I was also on Fluoxetine and the contraceptive injection so not sure if they had a combination affect or if it was down to one of them...or none. I'm now morbidly obese but mentally I'd be in a much worse place without the Quetiapine. If it really concerns you, perhaps have a chat with your Psych and see what they say. If you are very aware of it from the start, perhaps you can add things into your routine/life that could help counteract any gain (assuming you don't have any eating disorder issues already??) before it creeps up on you and becomes harder to control.

GrimmFaerieTale is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)