RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
bitomato

I am currently:

I think that the Stephen Lawrence tragedy has actually become a legacy because anything that brings about reform in a corrupt system is welcome. It's by no means over because all of the persons involved have not been caught.

I think that everyone can make assumptions about other people based on their personal perceptions of things. I know that in terms of black persons being overdiagnosed with mental illness in the UK, that is a documented fact- especially for persons of Afro- Caribbean descent. Their nuances are misdiagnosed and they have been subjected to ECT and the more dangerous older brain damaging drugs before someone even correctly assesses them. By then they have been irrepairably damaged.

On the other side, there are some white people who are more loving and respecting of black culture than black people- i.e. they know more, they devote their entire life to advocating for refugees, students, or study in Uni about it to be involved in policy changes.

Racism is very much there, but gratefully, so is the information that makes you a basic jerk to not allow your eyes to be opened. I was colour blind when I was younger. I often try to remind myself of that when subjected to racist comments. Never let them slide...........challenge.

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it. RIP Stephen.

~Happy tomatoes together we will be~
You say toe- may- toe, I say toe- mah- toe:
Let's call the whole thing- red

It’s time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men,
it’s not working for polar bears
.” Arianna Huffington 2014

bitomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Angel View Post
Its seems like racism is more geared towards anyone that isnt white and is unacceptable, however when people are racist towards white people its not seen as a big deal.
This.
The stupid labour MP who I can never remember the name of got a slapped wrist for her recent comments,in other cases MPs have been sacked....

This country(uk-I can't really speak for any other) is going to pot so to speak.you can no longer truly have "freedom of speech" for fear of what you say being either twisted or taken out of context.

I,like someone else mentioned,have had "white **** " (pick your own swear word) shouted at me,by strangers in a town I lived in all my life,even people I know from my old school.yet if I were to return the abuse,I would be worse off.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
akita

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrk View Post
It really doesn't bother me at all, what colour a persons skin is. I just don't care and treat them like a normal person....because that's what they are.
This.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailonvalium View Post
The stupid labour MP who I can never remember the name of got a slapped wrist for her recent comments,in other cases MPs have been sacked....
That would be Diane Abbot, who is very well known for her rather racist (or at least bigoted) views. This isn't the first time she's said something out of line. Whereas the Conservative MP who attended a Nazi themed party (he never wore the uniform himself though) was sacked.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
makedamnsure

I am currently:

I have to admit my boyfriend can be quite racist. His parents won't eat "funny food" like pasta, pizza, chinese, indian or basically anything "foreign". And his dad regularly insults the "f*ckin Pakis". Usually at this point I have to leave the room because I just can't stand to listen to it - and if I tell his Dad to stop being racist it turns into a horrible debate that I can never win.

Because he's been brought up that way my boyfriend can sometimes say racist things and almost not realise it. He has black friends and doesn't have a problem with black people in general - but sometimes his upbringing and ignorance shows and he can seem racist by trying too hard not to be if that makes sense?

Like comparing the picture quality between two TV's lately (which were showing sister act) he was like "oh, her skin looks blacker on that TV - wait, I can't say that can I?" and I was like "well why can't you say it if it's true?"

Also reverse racism is making more of an issue out of colour. For example an interview in the paper today with a black actress (can't remember who?) and they were asking how easy it was to find roles for black people in TV. You wouldn't ask a white person that. Highlighting skin colour in virtually any way seems totally pointless to me - it just doesn't matter.

At my primary school in a small country village there was one (adopted) black girl in the whole school and indeed the whole village - guess who was Mary in the navity play every year - not based on talent, there were better or equally good actors, but because the school wanted to be seen as being inclusive of race.

Totally different in the city my brother was at school at where a large proportion of his class were black, or asian, or polish or whatever and it just isn't an issue. Though now he's at private school in the same city and the school is predominantly white.

At my office Christmas meal at Uni I was the only "english" person out of the 8 people at my table. There were people from Iraq, Belgium, France, Czech, South America, China etc. Did anyone care? Nope. We did have fun dicussing cultural differences (in the Czech Republic they don't have christmas crackers) but there was no animosity or racism. The Chinese students at our Uni do tend to stick together, but thats more due to language barriers than racism.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Crysainta

I don't really believe people can be color blind unless they are literally blind. You can notice someone's skin color or race without being racist. You don't have to make a big deal out of it, but if that person comes from a different culture then it seems to me that bearing that in mind is a good idea. There's a difference between being aware of someone's ethnic background and discriminating against that person because of it. Culture is a huge part of what a person is, and ethnicity is part of that many times. Some people take it too far and are so "culturally sensitive" it becomes ridiculous. Like my ex had a friend who would always play hip hop music when he was around, even though this guy would normally listen to country music. He assumed that a black person must love hip hop music and he was trying to be nice, but he was actually stereotyping. My ex, who was more a fan of gothic industrial music, thought it was funny. In the end I think we should know and appreciate the different cultures people come from, without acting like that COMPLETELY defines people or that all people within the same racial group belong to the same culture.

Crysainta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #27
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysainta View Post
I don't really believe people can be color blind unless they are literally blind. You can notice someone's skin color or race without being racist. You don't have to make a big deal out of it, but if that person comes from a different culture then it seems to me that bearing that in mind is a good idea. There's a difference between being aware of someone's ethnic background and discriminating against that person because of it. Culture is a huge part of what a person is, and ethnicity is part of that many times. Some people take it too far and are so "culturally sensitive" it becomes ridiculous. Like my ex had a friend who would always play hip hop music when he was around, even though this guy would normally listen to country music. He assumed that a black person must love hip hop music and he was trying to be nice, but he was actually stereotyping. My ex, who was more a fan of gothic industrial music, thought it was funny. In the end I think we should know and appreciate the different cultures people come from, without acting like that COMPLETELY defines people or that all people within the same racial group belong to the same culture.
Very well said. Nothing more to add on that. :)

Nous avons abrité tous les rêves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #28
Mrs Bungle
Just an effigy to be defaced, to be disgraced

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Angel View Post
Its seems like racism is more geared towards anyone that isnt white and is unacceptable, however when people are racist towards white people its not seen as a big deal.
This really really irritates me. Not the comment itself, but what it leads to....for some reason people seem to think that because minority on majority racism exists, it makes the reverse okay. Kind of 'they do it to us too, ya know'. I've actually heard it as a defence for racist comments and abuse so many times that I've lost count.

When someone talks about racism being unacceptable, they usually mean all forms of racism, not just one. Yes, there are non-white racists too, but just like with white people, it is so far from being the majority's opinion...

(Before anyone jumps on my back, I know nobody said this here, and this is not being implied anywhere in Bleeding Angel's post - I'm making a comment about wider society.)

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level & beat you with experience

Current aural delvings:

Mrs Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #29
DustyChica

I am currently:

I agree with pretty much everything said here, but especially the part about it being okay to notice a person's skin color (don't remember who said it). For example, in my dorm at university, I have 3 friends named Nick - one who's white, one who's black, and one who's Latino. And our whole group of friends refers to them as such - White Nick, Black Nick, and Mexican Nick. It's not racist, it's a fact - White Nick has pale skin, Black Nick has dark skin, Mexican Nick's grandparents are from Mexico. It's only when you treat people differently does it become an issue. But I don't see the issue with calling someone "black" or "white" if that's what they ARE, just like calling them "male" or "female".

Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

DustyChica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
This, basically.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
Batmansx_xTeddy
I'm the girl who is lost in space.

I am currently:

I live in American in the south of course and see racism quite a bit which just makes me mad.

I have never really cared about the color of someones skin but sadly racism is quite common even these days. I live in a small town in the south and most of the people I have met are quite racist even some of my family. Say if I end up married to a black guy or girl some of my family would probably throw a fit and talk a lot of trash behind my back about it.

My little sister used to not care about the color of someone's skin but ever since she got into middle school she has slowly become very racist which pisses me off and I try to talk to her about it but she doesn't listen. I have pretty much put my foot down about the language she uses in our home and forbid her from using racial slurs while I am around. I am not tolerate at all when it comes to people saying racist remarks when I am around them but I try to state my opinion to them in a calm manner and explain that hating someone for their race is completely ignorant and why you shouldn't judge someone because of their race since they aren't any different than us. We are all human [unless you are an alien from outer space and than you become awesome] so why can't we just treat each other fairly.

I remember when my cousin married a black guy it was apparently a huge scandal in my family *rolls eyes*.

I honestly just think it is completely idiotic to hate on people just because of their race or sexuality. You should get to know people before you go off hating on them [although I don't think you should hate on anyone even if you don't like them].

Do humans in nature tend to stick with their own race yes but that doesn't make you racist. Being hateful or cruel to someone just because of their race or hating a certain race makes you racist.

I personally only dislike people who are rude to me and it has nothing to do with your race. I am in general not a people person and I much rather spend my time alone or with a close friend so I do tend to avoid people and if that makes me racist than whatever I just don't like being around new people white black or yellow I don't care if your a human than I will avoid you.

*wonders if that makes me racist against the humans*

“I didn't want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep.
And that's really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare,
like when you wake up from a nightmare you're so relieved.
I woke up into a nightmare.”
― Ned Vizzini

Batmansx_xTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

Quote:
I agree with a lot of that. But there's a difference between culture and race/colour. When people were saying they're "colourblind", it doesn't refer to ignoring culture (I'm speaking for myself, I can't say for definite that that's exactly what the others meant). You can have an immigrant from India/Pakistan/Nigeria/etc, and obviously you'd notice the cultural difference straight away (I do, in any case). And then there's 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants, who are culturally as English or American as ethnically English people. And this is where I become colourblind. If there's no cultural difference between us, I often forget that the person is a different colour. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicx_xRocket View Post
*wonders if that makes me racist against the humans*
Nah, that's just antisocial. I'm being that at the moment. :P

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #33
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
I agree with a lot of that. But there's a difference between culture and race/colour. When people were saying they're "colourblind", it doesn't refer to ignoring culture (I'm speaking for myself, I can't say for definite that that's exactly what the others meant). You can have an immigrant from India/Pakistan/Nigeria/etc, and obviously you'd notice the cultural difference straight away (I do, in any case). And then there's 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants, who are culturally as English or American as ethnically English people. And this is where I become colourblind. If there's no cultural difference between us, I often forget that the person is a different colour. Hope that makes sense.
Are you inside my head stealing my thoughts? ;-p

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #34
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
Are you inside my head stealing my thoughts? ;-p
Why yes, of course! :P Great minds think alike/ fools seldom differ. :)

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Lizzie87

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
yesss thank you for saying this. i was waiting for someone to say this. colour has very little to do with culture. just b/c someone is a different colour, doesn't mean they have a different culture. i'm asian and was born here and am just as 'english' as any white person. it bothers me that people immediately assume i must be from a different culture just b/c my skin is a different colour.

Lizzie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Also, i tmust be noted that racism isnt aslways about colour. It cna be about which country you are from. Look at uk vs french, or wlesh vs english, scottish vs english, etc.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Purple_Rain] View Post
Also, i tmust be noted that racism isnt aslways about colour. It cna be about which country you are from. Look at uk vs french, or wlesh vs english, scottish vs english, etc.
That's more xenophobia than racism, I think. In the UK it's more to do with rather deep-rooted national identity, and for most people it's a dislike of the media (which often tries to curb or merge these identities, as well as spout misinformation) than of the actual people themselves.

Old 14-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #38
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

to be xenophobia is fear of the different - i.e. 'they're forign, i'm not oging to speak to them'

instead of 'welsh/english/scottish scum' or 'always sh*t on the english side of the bridge (sung to the tune of 'always look on the bright side of life') which was often sung in our school.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
skelly jelly
skeldorf

I am currently:

i suffered racist bullying through authority in the army...i dont mean to uspet anyone of any race creed or cultur in saying this...but, i have many friends and family who are of different faith or race and yet whilst in the forces several persons of african and pakistani origin called me racist and reported me for it (not going into details further than it being the individuals i didnt like and no racist comments acts or otherwise were ever made to said persons) there is very little coverage of people of non-white races being racist towards white people and yet it happens just as much as any other race to race racism where i live...i am tottaly against racism and infact have got into fights with "friends" for making racist comments so i am all for more stringent laws and punishments being more severe for racism if infact the law covers all races!!

skelly jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #40
The One Who

I am currently:

Yes, xenophobia in terms of the UK and the French or the Germans or any other country really. It's a dislike based on them being from a different country (therefore foreign) and all the stereotypes that come with that, not to do with their race.

In the UK it's just different nations feeling threatened. I don't know of any Scottish people (including a few fully paid up members and employees of the SNP) who dislike English people. They might dislike English media, English sports (often connected to the media), or other more structural or systematic aspects, but they don't dislike someone simply because they have an English accent.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)