Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Mrs Bungle
Just an effigy to be defaced, to be disgraced

I am currently:
Foo Fighters confront Westboro Baptist Church picketers

KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The tables were turned on the Westboro Baptist Church when the Foo Fighters serenaded the picketers before the band's concert at the Sprint Center Friday night.

The band wore the costumes they used in their recent parody video "Hot Buns" , and mocked the protesters who are known for their anti-homosexual views.

Lyrics in Foo Fighters song taunted the church's views, saying "Driving all night, got a hankering for something/Think I'm in the mood for some hot-man muffins/Mmmm, sounds so fine, yes indeed."

The small church based out of Topeka, Kan. is also known for picketing at US soldiers funerals as well as the funerals of others that have had high-profile deaths, like the death of the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards.

Many states, including Missouri, have passed or attempted to pass laws that would restrict the type of protests that the church is known for, but the Supreme Court has repeatedly sided with the church.

The church says that they protest various events because of the United States' acceptance of homosexuality, and claim that God will punish America.
Foo Fighters lead singer Dave Grohl ended the song with a message of American pride.

"Ladies and gentlemen,God bless America! Land of the free, home of the brave," said Grohl.

The Foo Fighters were not alone in their protest. Others could be seen holding signs in counter-protest to the church's views.

"Whether you're black or white, or gay or straight, or the Foo Fighters, God loves everybody," said Abby Livella.

SOURCE: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...#ixzz1YEroi8kv

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EWSeDYTHtiQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level & beat you with experience

Current aural delvings:

Mrs Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I swear, things like this just seem to give more attention to Westboro. They're a hateful, ignorant and small-minded group of people, but they're small, and things like this just draw further attention to their spiteful and stupid viewpoints.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

^They're already famous enough. I'd agree if it were earlier in the process but isn't. People are listening to these nutters, so someone needs to (verbally) fight back,

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

[''There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'You don't always move the way you'd like to, but don't let the ground drag you around
And these old wings, they've been a long time, been a long time coming, these old wings.'

Buttons. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Fry

I am currently:

Good for them!

The only reason I've heard of the church in the first place, is from the two Louis Theroux documentaries on it all.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming. View Post
I swear, things like this just seem to give more attention to Westboro. They're a hateful, ignorant and small-minded group of people, but they're small, and things like this just draw further attention to their spiteful and stupid viewpoints.
This. Yes, they are big and there have been multiple documentaries and stories done on them, but attacking them and doing stupid stunts really doesn't help. I find it all a bit childish really.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Asura

Quote:
I would guess the attention draws more opponents than supporters, though. I mean, they've got to already have the majority of the world's religious nut-jobs already, right? There cant be that many more out there. :P

Nous avons abritť tous les rÍves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
red_ry
teh king of the cr8zy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
I would guess the attention draws more opponents than supporters, though. I mean, they've got to already have the majority of the world's religious nut-jobs already, right? There cant be that many more out there. :P
Most of the worlds "religious nut-jobs" have more sense than to associate with these guys. At most of their events they are far outnumbered by opponents. Without the counter-protestors showing up, they would just be a few crazy people shouting things on a street corner.

red_ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Asura

Lol yep. I don't think this fake church is getting anything good out of the extra attention.

Nous avons abritť tous les rÍves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
Lol yep. I don't think this fake church is getting anything good out of the extra attention.
The "extra attention" is what they want. I hadn't even thought of them in months until this event was posted all over the place.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
beautiful_seclusion

I am currently:

I do think they get too much attention, but I do see why people are protesting against them in varying ways. I don't know that the counter protesting does much good since it kinda puts them on their level, but I do think some laws that changes their "protesting" into harassment (what it actually is), would be good. Thing is, even if everyone ignored them, they wouldn't go away.

At my university, ultraconservative groups like them will occasionally hold up signs shouting how everyone's going to hell. They continually do it, thinking they're "saving everyone" even though most people ignore them. It's really not fair in my opinion that I have to listen to their one-sided views being screamed at me at a place I'm at for a totally different reason (i.e. getting an education) And it actually does bother me for various reasons.

I am 100% for free speech and completely against censorship, but I'm not for harassment, which I think these types of groups are really engaging in. If they want to do this somewhere where people know that's what they're going to listen to, or if they want to write literature or whatever, do so. But I don't think people should have to be yelled at and verbally abused/harassed at places like funerals, universities, etc. They wouldn't get by with that behavior in public if they weren't a "religious" group. If they want to express their views, do it through medium like literature or radio or through events that they create, but I don't think it should be allowed to happen like it is. It causes people a lot of distress, it is harassment and/or abuse, not free speech, and they aren't going to stop even if completely ignored.

Maybe mocking them and protesting like they do isn't going to help, but I do think something does need to be done. And they're not the only ones who do this in some form, they're just one of the more aggressive/extreme. Somewhere we have to draw a line between peaceful protesting and harassment/abuse. Religion (or other views) can't just be an excuse to behave in a way that would be considered disturbing the peace otherwise.

Stereotypes are the epitome of human laziness.
- me

beautiful_seclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Buttons.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_seclusion View Post
Religion (or other views) can't just be an excuse to behave in a way that would be considered disturbing the peace otherwise.
This a million times this. Religion should not under any circumstances have a higher status than any other beliefs and provide more lenience for those who are under it's control.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

'You don't always move the way you'd like to, but don't let the ground drag you around
And these old wings, they've been a long time, been a long time coming, these old wings.'

Old 20-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_seclusion View Post

At my university, ultraconservative groups like them will ....
I know what mean but like to add as an aside that Fred Phelps is a Democrat who has run for office (including governor) as a Democrat 4 or 5 times.

Old 20-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Buttons.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
I know what mean but like to add as an aside that Fred Phelps is a Democrat who has run for office (including governor) as a Democrat 4 or 5 times.
Seriously? Wow that really really surprised me. How odd 0.o Evidently not socially liberal though ;-p

Old 20-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
Seriously? Wow that really really surprised me. How odd 0.o Evidently not socially liberal though ;-p
Well he's mostly just a kook. He was disbared as a lawyer for harassment.

Old 20-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
red_ry
teh king of the cr8zy

I am currently:

Quote:
I don't know that the counter protesting does much good since it kinda puts them on their level, but I do think some laws that changes their "protesting" into harassment (what it actually is), would be good. Thing is, even if everyone ignored them, they wouldn't go away.
In my town there is a guy who goes out and finds his spot to talk about people going to hell. He has been screaming from this spot for longer than I've been alive. It's just become background noise of the city, with everyone going about their shopping or going to work. Ignoring people doesn't make people go away, but it takes away their power.

Old 20-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
It's the US - their left is still righter than the rest of the world's right :P

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
Buttons.

I am currently:

Quote:
It's the US - their left is still righter than the rest of the world's right :P
Oh I know but still the Democrats have a much more gay friendly history than the Republicans so I would have thought that alone would have pushed him to the right.

Old 21-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
red_ry
teh king of the cr8zy

I am currently:

Quote:
Oh I know but still the Democrats have a much more gay friendly history than the Republicans so I would have thought that alone would have pushed him to the right.
You can't really generalize about the parties. The current republican party is made up a lot of christian conservatives that are all about the sanctity of marriage. But the republican party also contains many fiscal liberals (aka fiscal conservatives) who are all about shrinking the government and lowering taxes and can take any range of positions on gay rights. Also democrats from more conservative areas might also take a strong stand on social issues. Probably the only reason they choose to run as a democrat is because there where no opponents on the primary ballot.

But Fred Phelps is actually a more interesting case. Phelps a lawyer behind many civil rights cases probably supported the civil rights agendas of JFK and LBJ. Weird, I know. This being the guy who protested the funeral of Jerry Falwell, I think he would protest at the funeral of a prominent Republican or Democrat.

Anyways, trying to classify political beliefs on a single axis is far too simplistic. The only times you should be using the terms left and right in the context of politics is to signify on which side of the Estates-General someone sat.

Last edited by red_ry : 21-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 21-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ry View Post
But the republican party also contains many fiscal liberals (aka fiscal conservatives) who are all about shrinking the government and lowering taxes and can take any range of positions on gay rights.
I think you mean libertarian rather than liberal. Liberals tend to be in support of more state involvement and higher taxes, libertarians are for minimising the role of the state, lowering taxes and increasing individual responsibility and rights.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Buttons.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ry View Post
Anyways, trying to classify political beliefs on a single axis is far too simplistic. The only times you should be using the terms left and right in the context of politics is to signify on which side of the Estates-General someone sat.
On an indepth political note yes it is too simplistic and I'm well aware of the differences within the parties such as the Blue dog Democrats and so on however I believe you can say that Generally x party has a recent history of being pro/anti this or that.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)