RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Redsky

I am currently:
The Vegan/vegetarian thread

Hello this thread is for Vegans and vegetarians, people who are thinking about becoming vegan or vegetarian or people who want to know what the heck either of those two things are.

please post things like recipes, life style tips, or why you became Vegan/vegetarian

I'm hoping this will help people like me who live in small towns and don't know others with alternative eating habits

Redsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
tamobhuuta

i'm vegetarian. i don't think i could ever be vegan though, i love dairy too much. i became veggie for ethical reasons - against eating animals as unnecessary but also cruel farming practices and practices that damage the environment.

Ying tong iddle ai po!

tamobhuuta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Redsky

I am currently:

Yeah finding anything without egg or cheese in it has been difficult and really miss takeout pizza. I became vegan for more or less the same reasons plus it forces me to be more concuss about what I put in my body.

also have you seen these recipe sites before? (I just thought I would show them because their funny)
http://theveganzombie.com/
http://theveganstoner.blogspot.ca/

Old 25-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Vegetarian Vampire
Your pain, your worth, your sacrifice

I am currently:

Hii
I'm vegetarian because the thought of eating flesh repulses me and I can't eat meat without feeling sick.
I would love to be vegan but I eat cheese too much :P

22nd November 2018

"Don't suffer in your silence. Know you are never alone."

Vegetarian Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I've been vegetarian since birth. I still eat dairy but do try and limit the amounts I consume. I could be a vegan if cheese didn't exist!

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
EsmaCannon
This Member is currently Banned

I'm vegetarian for 6days in a week..

EsmaCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I was a vegetarian when I was born. But then I wasn't.

Then I was vegetarian for 9 years and then I wasn't because bacon.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Redsky

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
I've been vegetarian since birth. I still eat dairy but do try and limit the amounts I consume. I could be a vegan if cheese didn't exist!
Have you tried Daiya cheese its slightly oilier and a little bland compared to real cheese but it doesn't have the same grainy texture as other soy cheeses

Old 25-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

To be honest, all the fake cheeses I have tried have been absolutely minging. I've not tried that one though.

Old 25-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Wonderland.

I am a vegetablearian

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
GlasgowSmile
Vegan Pride?? :P

I am currently:

I'm a vegetarian-semi-vegan. I'm still working on going vegan, but I'm almost there!!

"But if you go, I'll go.
And If you stay, I'll stay.
We may fall in love.
We may fall down.
But, I'm ready to be so heavy."

-- "Heavy" by Midnight Cinema

GlasgowSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Seriously contemplating becoming vegetarian with occasional eggs and dairy.

Do not know how I'll manage, as I do love some meat based dishes and leather. Waiting until I have moved out of my parents' again, as it would simply cause far more friction than I am currently prepared to deal with.

Where I live it is easy to find ethical dairy and eggs, but I'd prefer to have my own animals & in that case would be happy to eat them once they had reached the end of their natural life.
Do it Irene!

With leather, it's better from an environmental perspective to keep using what you've already got, so all it means is no new leather and leather lasts ages!

As for loving meat based dishes, which ones? A lot of the time you can replace the meat with something, but obviously if steak tartare is your favourite dish, then it's a bit harder to replicate!

Old 25-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

So tempted to highjack this thread with chicken nuggets!

Deepest apologies. I don't think I have the self control to be vegetarian even though the thought sometimes it crosses my mind.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
Do it Irene!

With leather, it's better from an environmental perspective to keep using what you've already got, so all it means is no new leather and leather lasts ages!

As for loving meat based dishes, which ones? A lot of the time you can replace the meat with something, but obviously if steak tartare is your favourite dish, then it's a bit harder to replicate!
I totally agree with this ^ it makes more sense to keep using what you've got and it's petty easy to make a lot of meat based dishes vegetarian, especially as there's so many meat substitutes around, Linda McCartney even do "prawns" as well as their extensive meat free range.

I've been vegetarian for almost 15 years, I've considered being vegan but for various reasons I don't feel it's for me, I'm happy being veggie for now.

I personally see no difference in eating a chicken or pig, to eating a dog or cat, and how we socially deem some animals edible, and some not, has never made any sense to me, so I decided to become vegetarian for that reason really. I'd never eat dogs I've owned, so I didn't see that there was any sense in me eating a pig, or cow, or fish. But those are just my personal thoughts :)

BridgesAndBalloons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Redsky

I am currently:

I'm vegan for environmental reasons so if I wouldn't mind eating bugs if they were prepared in a way that didn't make me gag of course.

I also found this recipe using [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhPm_OvkC0"]crickets[/ame] if anyone whats to try that. it uses bacon and cheese but those are pretty easy to substitute

Last edited by Redsky : 26-07-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 26-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Planning to go vegetarian with occasional dairy/eggs because I feel that it is nearly impossible to get animal protein that has been produced ethically.
Do you not have a local butcher? The butchers in my town have their own farm and all their produce come from their farm, so you know the source and can ask about treatment.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Aquifolia

I'm not a vegetarian but I also don't gorge myself on meat all the time. In my family we would have meat with a meal maybe a few times a week and that's what I got used to. It was weird when I moved out and realized how normal it was to have a large portion of meat with almost every meal. Also that people tend to dislike (or say they dislike even if they have never tried) vegetarian food. I really like tempeh and garden burgers and the like and often choose that over meat. I get asked if I'm a vegetarian every time I choose I non-meat option for a meal. (Because apparently it's impossible to ever like something that doesn't contain meat if you're not a vegetarian?) I know there's a huge difference between eating some meat and not eating any meat, but not being a vegetarian does not mean you eat all the meat all the time.

I have thought about becoming a vegetarian for environmental reasons but there are soooooo many unethical/environmentally harmful things happening in the food industry. While I would like to support all of them and eat all local farm fresh organic stuff, it's simply not feasible. I do make an effort when I can, but I also have to live my life and I can't feel bad every time I consume something that might not be environmentally friendly or ethically sound.

Sorry for the rant, I just always feel I have to defend myself for being eco-conscious and not a vegetarian. I tend to get heat from both sides, either I'm weird because I don't eat meat all the time or I must not truly care about the environment or ethical treatment of animals because I do eat meat. So there it is.

Aquifolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
secret squirrel

I am currently:

I've been veggie since I was a teenager and I don't miss meat or fish at all. I don't eat meat substitutes (fake meat) as I don't want to eat something that resembles meat in taste and texture as it makes me all icky. but on the other hand, I'm glad that there is a good alternative for those that miss meat.

I think it helps if you are a good cook and have some interesting recipes. It can also be cheap and healthy.

Does anyone else get frustrated when eating out, when there's only one vegetarian option on the menu and nothing for vegans? If I was with other veggies, I would choose somewhere vegetarian/ vegetarian-friendly? But when I'm with meat-eaters, I'm jealous at their wide range of choices when I'm stuck with one or two options.

secret squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Icecube. Swirls
Meera :-)

I am currently:

I'm a vegetarian since I was born. My whole family and extended family are vegetarian - religious view but we wouldn't want to eat meat- meat is murder.

“The only way that we can live is if we grow. The only way we can grow is if we change. The only way we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we are exposed is if we throw ourselves into the open.”

Icecube. Swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I agree with others in that I'm not all that into meat substitutes now, although I did find them very helpful to begin with to adjust to being vegetarian, but now I tend not to eat them very much really. Sometimes I can find it a little disconcerting to eat something that tastes and feels like meat lol.

Although, with a lot of the meat substitutes around now I'm not sure if they're much like meat or not, because my memory of meat textures and flavours isn't as clear as it's been so many years since I ate meat. Someone asked me if the Linda McCartney fish-less prawns tasted like prawns, and I had no idea really, so I just said they tasted nice and that I probably wasn't the best person to answer the question

BridgesAndBalloons is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)