RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 13-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:
Sensory Processing Disorder

So, I have known for awhile that I have some sensory issues but lately they have certainly been a little more apparent, probably because I am coming off of some medication that was keeping them a little more dormant but anyway, today in therapy we ended up on the topic and she is going to talk to some colleagues who do play therapy because they have training in sensory processing disorder to kind of see what can be done to help me but it is also my homework this week to research it and I was wondering if anyone else around here struggles with it. I struggle with it with things like I can't standing the feeling of paper, cardboard, not having lotion on my hands, having anything dry touching my hands, it physically hurts to touch those things or to even fold laundry, it hurts to have toothpaste in my mouth, things like that.

So, if you or someone you know struggles with it, what has helped you? Do you feel that it plays into your anxiety and if so, how? I also struggle with obsessive compulsive disorder tendencies and have read there could be a possible correlation, what do you think?

Any information would be useful, thanks.
Nicole

Angels are friends who support you when your wings forget to fly.

Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
broken_rainbow

I am currently:

Hey Nicole,

I haven't actually been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder as such, but I do totally have issues with sensory impairment! So, I think I know what you mean...

I have real problems with anything crunchy, rough textures (nail files, bumby card board, those weird raised images that are on some cards etc), sometimes, usually if I'm stressed, I can't tolerate anything touching me at all - clothes hurt, bedding hurts, sitting down hurts, rain hitting my body is torturous, the carpet hurts my feet... I get overwhelmed if there are too many things to see or hear (supermarkets are a classic!)... I can barely tolerate physical contact...

I know that these things are all made worse for me by stress or intense emotions, and find that trying to minimise my stress levels helps, as does talking about stressful things when they do occur (I'm not very good at doing this, but it does help when I do)

I've also found that some activities help me to be better able to tolerate situations that I find really overstimulating... for example, when I do have to go to the supermarket, it really helps if I go prepared, with a list etc and I always have something I find relaxing with me - Music - helps block out some of the external stimulus & gives me just one thing to focus on & I have a piece of really soft suede that I've cut down to a 5cm square - rubbing this in my pocket somehow helps...

Good luck with the research etc - I'd really love to hear if you come up with anything... or if your therapist has any suggestions that might be helpful :)

Jane x

“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.”
― Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

broken_rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:

Thank you for responding, Jane, it was very insightful

So far some of the things that I have found that I didn't already have knowledge about are that epsom salt baths can be helpful in calming someone down who is feeling overwhelmed with sensory stuff and also that sometimes sensory stuff can set off a post traumatic stress disorder episode which was interesting to me because I think I can look into my past and see instances where that was the case.

Thanks again for your response.

Old 15-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
anabelleagain

I am currently:

Is it just touch? I knew a girl who had sensory processing disorder and could not make sense of certain sounds (like the microwave, any kind of alarm, doorbell) and who needed a heavy blanket on her when she was upset.

I have anxiety issues and when they're really heightened I can't handle certain physical touches either. In regards to the OCD, I think sometimes it may be a control thing. And then other times I wonder if it's just preference, like I cannot stand static-- it makes me physically ill. But where's the line between personal preference and mental illness? I think it gets blurred.

I think it's great you're researching, and that you'll be working with someone who's niche is in sensory processing disorders, they'll have some good info for you I bet!

anabelleagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
broken_rainbow

I am currently:

That's really interesting - I'd not heard of epsom salts being useful; will deff be giving that one a try... and as for the PTSD link, that makes sense to me too -I like it when there's a link - it makes me feel less 'weird'...

anabelleagain - I often wonder about where the boundaries are too... with everything I guess it just comes down to 'when it starts interfering with living life'

Take care both of you :)

“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.”
― Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

broken_rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:

It's definitely not just touch. I can hear televisions being on even whenever there is nothing on them and most people can't hear them and I can't handle that noise. I also have a real issue with the textures of a lot of different foods. There are actually a lot of things after I have sat down and realized how much is related back to sensory input.

As for your question about the lines of mental illness and personal preference, I can tell you that for me the line for the obsessive compulsive tendencies is pretty clear in that some of the things that I do aren't my personal preference. I currently have a rule where if someone types multiple periods in a row, I have to say each period separately while covering the next one up with my finger. I also have a rule that I have to read misspelled or abbreviated words out loud by letter. Those are just two examples of things that are currently not personal preference but are obsessive compulsive tendencies that I feel the need to do. My entire life is haunted with rules. I think that the term ocd is thrown around much too often, if you have ever been around someone who truly has it or struggles with the tendencies to a degree that it does interfere with their life, you really will know where that line is. It is debilitating and miserable at times.

Just for clarification, that was just answering your question, please don't take it as a rant or anything, I just thought I would try to clarify where I feel the line is drawn on that particular topic.
Take care
Nicole

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)