RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 23-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
octobersky

Medication Question - my medication

Well I am new to this site umm but I have a question about my medication. I have been on at least 100 different medications in my life time and have had a lot of different diagnoses. Right now I have depression, BPD, and Bipolar. I started taking Depikote in July of 09 and then topamax and lexapro in october of 09. Recently I have really noticed I feel numb when I take my meds. So I decided to stop taking my meds without talking to my doctor. I want my old self back i want to feel like me and not a numb version of me. Do you think it is normal for me to feel this way on my meds or do you think something could be wrong with what im on and how much i am on? I also need to know if I do deside to start taking them again can I start at the doses I am on or do I need to start small and work back up?

3 Hugs Given By :
Old 23-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

Many medications (especially anti depressants) can cause "numb" feelings. It's common. NEVER go off your medication without consulting your doctor.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Old 23-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Animad

I take it you mean numb in an emotional sense, if so then yes, that's pretty common.

So, have you stopped taking them and how long ago? Did you discuss with your doctor before you stopped taking them?

We can't really say about the doses, that is something you need to discuss with your doctors really as a lot depends on if you're on any other meds at the moment/ if you have any other problems/ how you react to the meds/ how long you've been off them, as well as many other things.

In general, if you want to come off a med or restart a med that you've stopped taking you need to discuss this with a doctor so that plans can be made to alter the doses that you're on accordingly to make this as safe as possible. As well as this, they need to assess whether you're ready to come off them/ need to go back on them because if you're not then taking them can cause more problems than you start off with in some cases.

Old 23-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Fry

I am currently:

I always felt numb on medication which is why I no longer take it. I think sadly, it is normal to feel numb on psychiatric medication.
Were you exaggerating about having taken 100 types of medication?
Cos, I've taken a lot in my time but that's immense.
One other thing, you don't have depression AND bipolar. Depression is a part of your bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder comprises of both depression and mania. It's all inclusive

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)