Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 25-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I have a nut intolerance, traces are fine but actually eating them causes a reaction.

In the same way I suspect I only have an intolerance to gluten, if I eat small amounts i'm fine, but too much and I end up in a lot of pain. I am still undecided how much I am going to cut it out my diet if this 'test' indicates I am intolerant as I suspect. The problem is I'm vegetarian and half the protein substitutes I eat have wheat in as well.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

I was diagnosed with coeliac last year and am veggie, I can't advocate lentils, chick peas, all manner of beans and home cooking enough. A lot of quorn is now becoming gluten free, however. I've never been a huge quorn fan though.

I got a spiralizer, and it makes making veggie pastas and things so much easier. I eat a lot fresher and healthier since I now have to look at things. For me, it's things I wouldn't think of, stock cubes etc that I struggle with, but I don't know the degree of your intolerance.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."

what_the? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #23
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcatbug View Post
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...nd_errors.html

In particular; 'The World Health Organization, the American Medical Association, the National Academy of Sciences, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science have all declared that there’s no good evidence GMOs are unsafe.'

Unfortunately I don't trust any major organizations anymore because they are all politicised. The same is true of many university researchers, who take millions to conduct reasearch for corporations and then tell them what they want to hear. Latter the researchers end-up working for the corporations for a lot more money. The same is true of government regulators who go to corporations or universities. All the same people just switch hats over and over

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #24
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yeah that is about right.

Allergies, and especially severe allergies, are another matter, obviously.

Not sure about the situation with coeliac disease.

I gather that some people who experience mild, if irritating, symptoms of intolerance, can become more intolerant after time away from the given foodstuff. So, say you suspect gluten makes you very flatulent, so you avoid it, and you aren't farting or getting wind pain anymore so you stick to the new regime, then after a time you have a slice of bread and you get diarrhoea.

Bit of a nightmare really.

Also, it is suspected that many people with gluten intolerances are in fact intolerant to a substance which is used to condition wheat, rather than the actual gluten. It amounts to the same problem for many, however, as the conditioner is almost ubiquitous.
Thanks for explaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Purple_Rain] View Post
I have a nut intolerance, traces are fine but actually eating them causes a reaction.
Do you get the stomach-related symptoms with nuts as well then?

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #25
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Yes, but it is a different reaction. If i have nuts I just get pain so bad I start hallucinating.

Claire - We've just bought a load of lentils, chickpeas etc. Do you have a favorite meal you make with them?

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #26
what_the?
continual crisis

I am currently:

Loads! Good Housekeeping (I know right?!) had an amazing recipe for pea felafels, which are ace and really good snacks, or with salad for lunch. I make lentil daal and also make chilli and bolognaise with lentils.

Moussaka is always a winner too. Plus, chick pea salad to take to work. I'm headed there now, but I'll see if I can scan in some recipes and PM them to you.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Make us all feel wonderful. We'll never forget."

what_the? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
Athena4415

I am currently:

My mom suffers from a lot of chronic muscle pain, and swears that her gluten-free diet has helped take away her pain tremendously. She had no idea it would have that result, having started the diet for a different reason.

In the rare event she does eat cereal, it's usually Kellog's Heart to Heart or Kashi brand. She says as long as it has a high fiber count it can help combat the gluten/carbs. It's all about moderation.

May I ask why cereal in particular? Its hard for me to have anything but cereal in the morning since I usually end up rushing before work, and I'm not that good a chef :/

Athena4415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)