RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
I.Heart.And
~Approachable and fit (apparently)~

I am currently:
Erskine Bridge *suicide trigger*

<table class="news-content" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>Teens Die In Glasgow Bridge Plunge

</td></tr><tr><td height="8">
</td></tr><tr><td>More details have emerged of a tragic double drowning in Scotland.

The two women who jumped to their deaths from a Glasgow bridge reportedly held hands as they fell from the Erskine bridge.</td></tr></tbody></table>
Rest of story is here:

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_irelan....asp?id=100563

Following this tragedy a lot of (parents in particular) are asking that the bridge should be closed to pedestrians. Do you think this is necessary / wise / helpful? (etc opinions)

I personally think that if people want to commit suicide then they will find a way and that it is impossible and silly to try and make everywhere suicide safe.

I.Heart.And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

This was about a week ago or so and it wasnt two women it was two kids. Sorry but the source you have is pretty old and doesnt say much, google it and you will come up with recent news on it.

Yes its sad and all that, but there is nothing anyone can do about the bridge, there are loads of bridges all over the places and you cant make everyone suicide proof. They have cameras, they have posters and hotline numbers.

But as you said, if someone wants to jump from a bridge they will find a way regardless.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Before Hollyoaks the other night, there was a disclaimer about how similar this story was to another and how Hollyoaks is filmed eight weeks in advance - this is possibly what the story was about.

It's awfully sad, though.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
B-S-F
Waste of Life

I am currently:

I think there was a lot more to this story than we have seen, and I don't suppose we will ever know all of it.
The two girls (14 and 15) had run away from their care home so many times in the last year. the care home in question had 232 reported cases of runaways in the last year, and most of those were these two girls. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...gures-1.925445
To me that just shows that they were determined to get away. If they hadn't had the bridge I am pretty sure they would have found another way.
Any story of a suicide is tragic and these girls were young, which makes it more of a shock (personally).
I think the people who are saying the bridge should be closed to pedestrians, need to think about the practicality of that. If they closed this bridge for that reason, surely they would have to close every bridge that "poses a threat/could be used" by someone who is suicidal? And then what would happen to the bridges which are needed by pedestrians to cross a river, road etc. 24/7 security? Box them all in? Bridges are a necessity and pedestrians need to be able to use them. And there's thousands of bridges across the UK, and it would cost a lot of money to make them all "suicide-proof". I'm pretty sure those people wont want their taxes increased in order to pay for it!!
As others have said, if a person is determined to end their life, they will find a way. I know of multi-story car parks that have had metal fencing put in between the levels and a 8 foot fence put on top, and people still manage to get over it.

*stops rambling* Basically, closing the bridge to pedestrians would just be a waste of time, money and resources.

"People have abused you lots in the past? Why do you then abuse yourself more?" - Quote
Sometimes I feel like I'm alone, Sometimes I feel like I'm not that strong, Sometimes I feel nothing at all, Sometimes I feel vulnerable, Sometimes I feel a little fragile
RYL FAMILY-

B-S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
sn0w_white_queen
Potterhead, Ravenclaw, & Gleek

I am currently:

On the Golden Gate Bridge there are phones placed out on the walkway with notes for people to use the phone to call a hotline or a friend or family member. I wonder how well it actually works. Just because someone sees the phone doesn't mean they'll call. It might make them think twice though.

Self-injury is a sign of distress not madness. We should be congratulated on having found a way of surviving. - Cory Anderson

The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. - Karl Marx

sn0w_white_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
I.Heart.And

I am currently:

^ It's quite sad that those types of measures have to be into place I think.

Old 15-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Bleeding Angel

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0w_white_queen View Post
On the Golden Gate Bridge there are phones placed out on the walkway with notes for people to use the phone to call a hotline or a friend or family member. I wonder how well it actually works. Just because someone sees the phone doesn't mean they'll call. It might make them think twice though.
They have that on the erskine bridge as well.

Alot of people thought that they hollyoaks episodes shouldnt have been aired because it was pretty much similar, two children making a suicide pact and jumping.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Old 15-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

I heard about this a couple of weeks back, it was two young girls.

Very sad, and very hard hitting.

I don't actually think there is an 'answer' to these types of things. I think there are prevention techniques they can use, but I don't think they'll ever stop things like this, sadly. I wish there was an answer, and I wish I knew it, but I just don't think there is.

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
HopeRises

I don't watch hollyoaks, but I did hear about this story a few weeks back.
In my town they are trying (or at least it was suggested) that they put the samaratines number on the bridges to prevent suicide jumps.

I do think it's sad but like others have said, if someone is going to do it they'll find a way.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

It'd be pretty pointless, closing the bridge to pedestrians.

If someone wants to die, they're pretty much guaranteed to find another way. Ireland doesn't have too many great bridges, but we still have a suicide rate that's twice the death rate from road traffic accidents.

So if they wat to prevent suicides, they'll have to stop selling ropes, plastic bags, cars, painkillers, knives and anything else you could potentially kill yourself with. Which is obviously completel unrealistic.

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #11
Grunge Rock Princess
&lt;|Hippiechick|&gt;

Honestly- i dont see the point in putting up fences. If they were that determined a fence wouldnt have made them feel less suicidal- it would just have made them look for another method.

Personally i think its very sad that people are more concerened about preventing people from jumping off the bridge then actually thinking about away to prevent them getting that far. I mean really. Its not the bridge thats the problem. The problem is people are feeling suicidal and the bridge is there. What i'm trying to say cos i'm getting confused is - people are trying to find ways to stop people physically jumping. But the presence of a fence doesnt mean that person wont kill themselves. Shouldnt we be more concerned about fixing the real problem of WHY people want to kill themselves and not try to 'suicide' proof a bridge?
However- putting a fence up is easy i suppose and it means people feel they have a 'solution' for suicide. But its not. I hope tha tmakes sense i'm sleep deprived

If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had

Ginger and Proud

The dream is over.....
....good luck to all the globespanners

Grunge Rock Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
I.Heart.And

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge Rock Princess View Post
Honestly- i dont see the point in putting up fences. If they were that determined a fence wouldnt have made them feel less suicidal- it would just have made them look for another method.

Personally i think its very sad that people are more concerened about preventing people from jumping off the bridge then actually thinking about away to prevent them getting that far. I mean really. Its not the bridge thats the problem. The problem is people are feeling suicidal and the bridge is there. What i'm trying to say cos i'm getting confused is - people are trying to find ways to stop people physically jumping. But the presence of a fence doesnt mean that person wont kill themselves. Shouldnt we be more concerned about fixing the real problem of WHY people want to kill themselves and not try to 'suicide' proof a bridge?
However- putting a fence up is easy i suppose and it means people feel they have a 'solution' for suicide. But its not. I hope tha tmakes sense i'm sleep deprived
It's not a blanket problem which can be worked on, that leads people to try and commit suicide. It'll always happen. It would be impossible to achieve having a world where no one wants to kill themselves because it's such a complex issue.

Old 18-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
Grunge Rock Princess
&lt;|Hippiechick|&gt;

Yeh i know that-i studied suicide, and i've been there- but putting up a fence solves nothing. it just drives them to other methods. the point is a fence would not have stopped those girls

If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had

Ginger and Proud

The dream is over.....
....good luck to all the globespanners

Grunge Rock Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
Benji
Doink!

You can kill yourself with a feather and a tub of yoghurt if you are resourceful enough. One bridge wont really do anything, except in the case of the Golden Gate bridge. That is a suicide "mecca", so it actually makes sense to safeguard it.

Benji's Weekly Insight:
I have a Tonberry teddy called Grudge.

Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
I.Heart.And

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
You can kill yourself with a feather and a tub of yoghurt if you are resourceful enough. One bridge wont really do anything, except in the case of the Golden Gate bridge. That is a suicide "mecca", so it actually makes sense to safeguard it.
Really?
That sounds hilarious.

Old 20-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
Bleeding Angel

I am currently:

Yes but in the golden gate bridge there isnt that many suicides if you think about it. If you have ever watched the film the bridge, it placed cameras and watched the bridge for a year and caught basically 2 people a month actully dying, the rest got saved before they jumped.

Even the erskine bridge the suicide rate is about 15 people a year. While these mumbers may be high in themselfs, you have to sort the reasoning behind why these people want to die and not try and suicide proof everything.

Old 20-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Benji
Doink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *serendipity* View Post
Really?
That sounds hilarious.
I have some ideas, but it would be breaking the rules...

Benji's Weekly Insight:
I have a Tonberry teddy called Grudge.

Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
I.Heart.And

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
I have some ideas, but it would be breaking the rules...
off topic/ My PM box doesn't have rules.

That sounded wrong. jesmile

Old 25-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
Sigma

I am currently:

was reading an article about Beachy Head a few weeks ago (can't remember which paper... it was after that couple jumped after their son died) apparently there are teams of volunteers that patrol the cliffs & try to talk with anyone who looks as if they're thinking about it - that makes more sense to me than notices

Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
I.Heart.And

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokoloshe View Post
was reading an article about Beachy Head a few weeks ago (can't remember which paper... it was after that couple jumped after their son died) apparently there are teams of volunteers that patrol the cliffs & try to talk with anyone who looks as if they're thinking about it - that makes more sense to me than notices
That makes a lot of sense but it must be a **** job if some people just say "ya know what? I'd rather jump than talk to you.."
& go ahead and do it.

I've made it sound comical, but it must be really horrible if people do just go ahead and do it when there is people there wanting to help.

I wonder if they physically try and stop them.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)