RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:
Paranoia/anxiety

Okay so this doesn’t sound like a big deal and I guess it’s not but as I struggle to sleep anyway really don’t need anything extra making it worse. Basically I moved home about a week ago, in my previous place had the fear paranoia that someone was going to break in but a) that wasn’t completely irrational given the area I lived in and b) I could usually reassure myself that if the dog wasn’t barking no one was there and any noises I heard or whatever were in my head or innocuous.

Here it’s a more secure home (less of a battered front door for a start), and b) much better area but I’m more scared than before, I can’t sleep properly, I’m getting anxious/ paranoid to the point of hysteria in the night and it’s somewhat spreading into the day time which it wasn’t before.

I think some of it is not being sure re dog alerting me as she’s currently barking at everything and nothing as she’s a bit unsettled though this is improving and I know logically it’s because it’s all new to her but I can’t help but worry that when I ignore her barking even when I Know she’s barking at nothing what if she knows something I don’t and I’m being stupid to ignore her. Even worried about the supernatural maybe she can sense something I can’t? It’s not just her though and it’s not her fault every single noise I hear even the most innocuous in or outside the bungalow terrifies the shit out of me.

At previous home I could rationalise better and knew if dog wasn’t barking no one there and reassure myself re noises I heard.

Any advice for making myself calm the frick down?

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Auror.
Camden

I've had this happen a lot too when I move. Unfortunately for me (and my dog) what really helped the most was just giving things time and getting used to the new normal neighborhood noises.

Have you tried making a list of typical noises and/or times when you hear them so you can reference that to see if it is something that has occurred before?

I know with my dog, if I offer her a treat and she comes and calms down, then it's likely not a big deal. Whereas if she continues to react and/or ignores the treat entirely it is likely to be worth looking into. If you don't like giving your dog too many treats, you could try similar with offering a toy?

Also, if you have blinds it might be worth closing the blinds at least at first, then once you both feel a bit more settled you can open them one at a time.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Camden has given some great advice there, I don't think I can add anything. I agree that it will probably just take some time, and I know that's not really that reassuring in the moment. Do you use any self soothing stuff? Maybe that would help settle you a bit after you realise there is nothing to be concerned about.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
Auror.
Camden

The other thing I can think of is putting curtains and or window shades up. I have blackout shades over the windows in my bedroom as well as blinds and that muffles noise. Stuff I hear in other rooms I don't hear as loud or at all in the bedroom.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 29-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
nonperson

I am currently:

New places and new sounds freak me out too. Hopefully it will just be a bit of time to get used to all the new things.

But I understand knowing that doesn't help in the present... I was thinking maybe making sure you have tv or music on in the background? I find sleeping with the radio comforting and can help to focus your attention on that instead of other noises.

I also wonder if there's some sort of training you could do with the dog to help her settle into her new environment? And having that to focus on instead of strange noises might help you stay calmer.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 03:13 AM   #6
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Really good advice here from all Thankyou so much will try what I can of it :)

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:45 AM   #7
Auror.
Camden

<3

I hope it gets easier soon and that your new place is better and safer than your old one.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:10 AM   #8
Straight 3

I am currently:

I'm sorry I have nothing helpful to say.

I hope things improve for you, Buttons.

Straight 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
MissGranger

I am currently:

Hi just want to say I completely relate. Ever since moving out of intensive enablement/supported housing and living in a flat all by myself I've been hyper sensitive to noises. Any little noise terrifies me. My cat often jumps on my bed if someone's at the door etc which can help I guess but I get the paranoia and anxiety too and it's horrible even if you know or think it's completely illogical. Can you call someone when you are feeling particularly anxious/paranoid? Maybe you could ask for some anxiety meds? I hope things improve soon. X

MissGranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)