RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Stress Free Anxiety
Felicia

I am currently:

I'm probably not diagnosable as Trich but I've had trich behaviors before. Definately can relate when it comes to going into a trance and losing time from it.

Stress Free Anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #22
stella

I am currently:

I'm kind of past looking for some "cure" because I have tried so much for so long and it always comes back. I just wish I could just stop but it's not going to happen.

People always look at me funny, like I'm crazy to have my hair like this, and ask me questions about my hair. I used to live in the city, and no one cared if you had a weird hair cut but now I live in the country, everyone notices.

I'm trying to be less hard on myself this week. We could all do with a break from the constant criticism we heap on ourselves. It's hard but maybe we should try and have one hour, one minute, where we force ourselves to think, this isn't my fault and I don't deserve this pain. Cause we don't, no matter what our brain says.

stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #23
samshine

I am currently:
Now I realise *(SI trigger)*

I read this thread because I didn't know what trichotillomania was. I have been cutting for 8 years and a few months back I started hair pulling/plucking as a coping skill instead of cutting (now I realise this has a name) My husband thought it would be a 'healthier' coping skill. Now I do it for hours on end and often end up with bleeding sores from 'digging' for ingrown hairs, my husband believes they're imaginary. He accepted (not approved) of my cutting but he says my legs are disgusting because of my hair pulling, he won't touch them. I don't understand why he can be sympathetic and caring over my cutting but acts repulsed by hair pulling. I realise both of these are unhealthy coping skills and I am not proud of either behaviour but his obvious disgust is making me ashamed and selfconcious.

"Where ever I am I always find myself looking out the window wishing I was somewhere else." - Angelina Jolie

'You haven't failed until you quit trying'

samshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #24
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

it's probably just because it's a new thing, and he's not as used to it as he is to your cuts.
it's good to realise that it isn't healthier than cutting though.
my therapist believes my trich is more about wanting to be "perfect" so i want to pull out the things that aren't perfect. as opposed to my reasons for cutting which are different and more feelings/emotional and physical pain related.
people always look at me funny, especially when i have no eyebrows. you get used to it i guess. like you get used to your therapist saying "stop touching your hair/eyebrows/eyelashes when i'm talking to you". heh.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #25
stella

I am currently:

hey samshine

i have done that with my legs where they were just red holes all the time from digging out ingrown hairs. Often if I couldn't quite get it, I couldn't let it go, and the wounds would get worse and worse. I could spend hours and hours doing it. Sometimes, I'd get home from work about 6 and suddenly it was midnight, and I'd just spent all that time picking and pulling without even realising it.
I hope you can talk to your boyfriend and let him know that it doesn't help to feel judged by him. We do a good enough job of that ourselves.

Best wishes :)

Old 29-09-2008, 04:37 AM   #26
Mary Hare

Hey there.
I know exactly how you feel. When I was 5 I started pulling out my eye lashes. I am now almost 15 and I still do it. I can't seem to stop. I've gone to conclers and all that crap-- but I never could stop.

It's so hard to get over Trich, and I have yet to fine a way how.
Just know that I'm here, and I know how you feel :)

Mary Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 AM   #27
stella

I am currently:

Thanks Mary :)

It's weird how it comes and goes too. Like for week you'll be pulling like crazy and feeling completely out of control, and then other weeks you'll barely think about it and it's like, why can't it always be like this?

Then you start again. You always start again.

Old 13-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #28
Mary Hare

I know! I hate that. I do that too.

I will pull and pick my eye lashes until there is hardly anything there. Then they finally are actually grown in and beautiful, and I pull them again.

Old 13-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #29
amethyst

Hi everyone, I have recently been pulling clumps of my hair out in stressful situations. I used to have a very strict hair care regimen but now I feel stressed because of school etc. and I havent been able to stick to that regimen and also the hair pulling isn't great for my hair health. Thanks Stella for making this thread, I have subscribed and will be hanging around here often for support :)

Old 23-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #30
amethyst

I have just noticed a tiny bald patch on my scalp when I tie my hair up I have only really been pulling hair out for less than a month, hmm

Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #31
amethyst

Has anyone ever been to the Docters about Trichotillomania? I think I could possibly be diognosed for having it. I have only been doing it for about a month but it has become worse and worse, I have been pulling my hair out at least 5 or 6 times a week in big clumps and have developed quite a bald patch

Im really self concious and I don't think pulling my hair out is doing me any favors but it's really hard to stop, I just wanna get some treatment or something before it gets any worse.

Sophie x x

Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #32
JustNobody

I am currently:

This is something I've been struggling with for about 12 years, can't remember exactly when it started. I only found out there was actually a name for it 4 or 5 years ago, and it was only then I really accepted it was a problem for me. Even now it doesn't feel like harming, but I guess it is. I can totally relate to the whole losing hours of the day without realising thing though. It's weird knowing it's not just me!

Sophie I'm afraid it's not something I've ever spoken to my doctor about so I haven't got a clue about that, but hopefully someone else on here can be more helpful!

JustNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #33
amethyst

I might just goto the Docters anyway, Im sure they will be able to give me some sort of advice :) Im really scared about how my hair will look in the future. I can picture my bald patch now and if in another month its twice as big I think my hair will definatly noticably be thinner. Its scary because I used to take care of my hair with a strict hair care regimen, now its all being ripped out : /

Old 15-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #34
Mary Hare

evievera:

I have trichotillomania for almost 10 years now and I have to say, doctors didn't help me at all. If anything, it made me feel worse about myself- like I was a failure. I don't know, maybe it will be different for you! :)

I hope it gets better for you though! Good luck, and just stay strong!

Old 15-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #35
deadstar

I am currently:

I pulled my hair out and created sores on my head from the ages of about 7 to 13. At the time, my parents were concerned but they just assumed i'd 'grow out of it' which i guess i did in a way but there is such a small amount of awareness for this disorder. I used to get questions and really nasty looks when people looked at my head and i wouldnt let people touch me or get too near me because i was scared they would look at my head and i still don't lik my mum touching me even now because of this. I just wish i'd got some treatment for this at the time because its caused me more problems in the long term so please go to the doctors if you're concerned.
Just want to give you guys some hugs and wish you all the best.
xx

deadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #36
tigris
I tried to be perfect, it just wasn't worth it.

I am currently:

I love picking hair out of my legs and stuff, cos its almost like SI but no-one can see. I have quite thick hair on my head but it can be really bushy, so recently I started 'overbrushing' it on purpose and now quite a lot has come out and my hair is a bit thinner. Maybe not good long term but I find it quite a good temporary measure for putting off SI.

I'm glad you've decided to start posting, I've been a member for a few months but only started posting recently, and everybody is so kind and supportive!

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.
I know, right now you can't tell.
But stay a while and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me Unwell - Matchbox 20

"Why inflict pain on oneself, when so many others are ready to save us the trouble?"
George Pacaud (1879 - 1937)

tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #37
amethyst

Hi everyone
I have been doing really well and havent pulled clumps of my hair out for just over a week, and I used to do it nearly everyday. Im trying not to SH over x-mas and trying not to pull out my hair either and Im really determined to make it to new years. I did slip up one night, but I was very drunk so I know I wasn't thinking straight.

I hate it that on one side of my head my hair is really thin. Im a really self concious person anyway which isn't good and I just want to get this sorted out.

Quote:
doctors didn't help me at all.
That must have been really annoying that they couldn't help you and maybe I will put off going to the Docters unless the problem get's bad again.

Much love, Sophie xxx

Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
digestive

I am currently:
here we go again

I started when i was 11. and managed to stop for about a year when i was 16/17. After that i pulled very occasionaly but i barely noticed i did it until one day i just sort of noticed i was doing it again. and now im getting bad again. I have been officially diagnosed with it but at the time i never admitted it was that and my parents are under the impression i have alopecia as were my friends. though somehow im failing slightly on the whole secrecy thing and a whole 2 people in the world know. Though i think very soon it might be three. I sicken myself with what i do, im not particularly unhappy, and i dont understand why i do it. However, as the course of my life has changed slightly due to it, and another turning point is coming up, i think the time has come to maybe do something about it.

digestive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #39
amethyst

I think it is a good idea that you are coming to terms with what your actually doing & I definatly think you should try and do something about it, good luck

xxx

Old 07-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
Doesnt_matter
Judith

I'm glad that here's a topic about that because it is quite close to some of mine's but I wasn't brave enough to start a topic about skin picking.

I hope that it's OK that I write something here because I don't have Trichotillomania but I suffer from skin picking (my face), so I can identify with some things that are written here.
Oh, I also am crazy about removing body hairs but not by picking it out.
On some days, I spend hours with skin picking and hair removing .

As far as I've read in articles and heard on documentaries, trichotillomania, skin picking and stuff like that belongs to OCD and I have never understood it as SH.
Of course, you harm yourself with these habits but not consciously and intended- at least, that was what I knew and thought.
Reading here that some people do it as a form of SI was quite "interesting" (not the right word because that would sound too like you were seen as study objects).

I, personally, don't want to harm myself with my habits but to make myself feel cleaner, more perfect and more beautiful (removing all skin problems).

The problem is the vicious circle: skin problem - picking and covering with make up- more skin problems- more picking and make up....
It sucks .

Sorry to bothering you with something at least some paragraphs that are completely off topic.

Hugs,
Judith

I can't control my destiny.
I trust my soul. My only goal is just to be.
(Rent)

I'm selfish, inpatient and a little insecure.
I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. (Marilyn Monroe)

Doesnt_matter is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)