Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 20-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:
Anyone who has been harmed by psychiatry or the mental health services

Hi. I just wanted to let anyone know that if they have ever been harmed by psychiatry or the mental health services, feel free to pm me to have a supportive chat or just reply on this thread. I will soon be campaigning for a reform of the mental health services

NO hate please, this thread is here to support anyone who has been harmed by the mental health services

Derpy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 20-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
AllButWanted
Such a beautiful mess inside ~

I am currently:

i think a lot of people have been let down by mental health services at some point. i know i personally have but i have also had good experiences.
what is your campaign about?

Just when the caterpillar thought she was dying she turned into a beautiful butterfly

AllButWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Greyscale
Chat Mod

While I have had some quite unfortunate experiences in the mental health system (in the US) that I feel may have done more harm than good, and found some things that I really would like to change laws on (which I am not bringing up here because I do believe that in many cases it is still a good idea, and I don't want to come off as sounding as though I think the whole thing is bad when I truly don't), I'd have to say that my overall experience has been positive, at least since I made the choice to engage in therapy and work with my psychiatrist. I feel as though I've really matured and gained a significant amount of insight into myself as well as moving forward in my recovery, things that I don't think would have been possible had I not had therapy that I chose to engage in and a psychiatrist that I also engaged with.

I spent most of my teenage years relying on friends to get me through because I did not trust the mental health professionals I was made to see. And while my friends have kept me from attempting suicide in the past, none of them were ever able to help me truly change how I saw the world, build coping skills, stop cutting, reduce my anxiety, or truly move forward. It's just not the same as having someone who truly knows what they are doing and that has been trained for about six years to help (I say that because my current therapist holds a masters degree and someone I know who has just gotten a job in the mental health field also had to get a masters degree, although at one point I did see a PhD level clinical psychologist, which I would think involves even more schooling). It's not that my friends sucked at helping, either, it's more that my problems needed professional help, something none of my friends were equipped to offer. I am, however, eternally grateful to them, because they were always there for me, even when I know I was not the best person to reason with.

I guess my point is this.. while it really sucks to have a bad experience with mental health services of any form (be it inpatient, outpatient, or day patient), it doesn't mean that all of your experiences will be bad. If I had decided that mental health care was to be avoided at all costs after my worst experience, I would never have gotten to where I am today. And yeah, it's hard to get help after a bad experience, but I would just try to not let past experiences prevent you (collective you) from getting help in the present or in the future. I have no stake in this, so whether you choose to give it another shot or not doesn't matter to me, I just wanted to share that just because some MH professionals suck, or some MH treatment situations suck, that doesn't mean they all will, or that you will never be able to find appropriate professional support with people you can trust. There is always hope.

Last edited by Greyscale : 20-07-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: noticed I missed something
Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

What sort of reform ate you thinking of?

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Flyingfree

I don't really understand how you can complain and try to reform something if you have no experience of it...

Flyingfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Thankyou for thread , psychiatry harmed me

TheColdOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post

NO hate please, this thread is here to support anyone who has been harmed by the mental health services
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfree View Post
I don't really understand how you can complain and try to reform something if you have no experience of it...
^This. Also your idea of 'hate' is people not agreeing with you.

It concerns me that this thread will put people off seeking support from mental health services.

Sir Phillip: Veg-a-ta-pal extraordinaire!

Foxtrot Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Cacoethes
ˇViva la Revolución!

I am currently:

There are reforms happening you know......

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot Oscar View Post

It concerns me that this thread will put people off seeking support from mental health services.

I share this concern. I understand psychiatry cab negatively affect people but it can also be positive so people need to remember that in making their own decisions.

Right now I'm pretty grumpy with psychiatry because my medication is making me feel sick as a dog. But I'vealso had a lot of really good experiences in the past also.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

It's kind of useless to argue with him. If a number of people (all of whom know more about psychiatry and the MH services than he does, having actually had experience of both) disagree with his opinion, he calls that "ganging up" and tells us that we're making him suicidal. Then he adds us to his ignore list (which, by now, must consist of half of RYL). His idea of reform is not going to his appointments and using his own brand of amateur talk-therapy on his friends, based on wildly-misunderstood concepts and diagnostic criteria devised by the very people he mistrusts and hates so much.

Just leave him in his little bubble.

Last edited by The War Doctor : 20-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.
The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

I wonder why you continue to make new threads such as this when you are very well aware that this is a primarily pro-psych forum, despite many members having some negative experiences. Your threads always go the same way, and as other people have said... your idea of "hate" is merely people who actually have experience of the MH system, disagreeing with you!

We all know by now that you are anti-psych, I dont think continuing to make new threads and drama is particularly productive for you or RYL.

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Stellata

To be totally honest, I was very harmed by my father's antiquated ideas of psychiatry [his father was a nurse in one of the old asylums in Epsom, back in the 40s]. The threat of strait jackets, being locked up and the key thrown away, being a total outcast of society... all these things thrown into the still developing mind of a very sensitive pre-teen caused a lot of damage. I didn't have the courage to seek support for myself until I was 30.
This is the other side.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellata View Post
To be totally honest, I was very harmed by my father's antiquated ideas of psychiatry [his father was a nurse in one of the old asylums in Epsom, back in the 40s]. The threat of strait jackets, being locked up and the key thrown away, being a total outcast of society... all these things thrown into the still developing mind of a very sensitive pre-teen caused a lot of damage. I didn't have the courage to seek support for myself until I was 30.
This is the other side.
Thing is, that's what Nickelback thinks the MH services are still like today. And they're not, not anymore. That's one of the many, many, many things he doesn't understand, and isn't willing to try to understand. He thinks his half-formed understanding of things is enough and if anyone suggests that it might not be, he calls them bullies and threatens to kill himself. All he does on RYL is lie to people, whine about things he doesn't understand and create drama when he feels that nobody is taking his side. He claims he wants support, but he spends more time bashing his incorrect idea of the MH services than asking for support. If he wants his kind of support and a community of people who share his malformed opinions, I suggest he look for an antipsychiatry forum. There are many, and I think he would be more welcome (and find more of his kind of support) on any of them than he ever will here.

That's not to say that his kind of support is unavailable here. Help is always available here, for anyone. But if Nickelback wants it, he needs to stop bitching, stop lashing out at people who try to give him useful information and stop being such a drama queen. People are trying to help him, not bully him, and he's been so ungrateful and so unwilling to listen. It makes me so sick with anger.

Last edited by The War Doctor : 20-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
pb&banana

Er, I went through PALS to make a complaint about my services which now has been sorted and I have got the care I needed.
I also made a verbal complaint which was sorted at another unit.

The only thing I could say that's harmed me in the mental health services is the waiting lists/lack of resources/lack of funds but that would be for almost everyone on the NHS.

pb&banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

We've had this thread before and it was locked...

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #16
startingagain

People can contact PALS or a mental health advocate if they need support.

How do you think it should change? Why don't you get involved with MIND or RETHINK as they both look at perceptions of mental health and I'm sure they would appreciate support. I also think you should look for the positives on how people have been helped as well as looking at how things can be made better.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaneos View Post
I wonder why you continue to make new threads such as this when you are very well aware that this is a primarily pro-psych forum, despite many members having some negative experiences. Your threads always go the same way, and as other people have said... your idea of "hate" is merely people who actually have experience of the MH system, disagreeing with you!

We all know by now that you are anti-psych, I dont think continuing to make new threads and drama is particularly productive for you or RYL.
I said no hate
I am trying to support people who have had bad experiences in this pro psych forum, an issue which is SERIOUSLY under supported in this forum.
This thread is for bad experiences in the mental health services.
Anyone who wants to talk privately or without this constant pro psych pressure feel free to pm me

Old 21-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
We've had this thread before and it was locked...
It should be left open. A support forum for ALL aspects of mental health, EXCEPT this one

Old 21-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

And I said it's NOT hate! Please stop labelling EVERYTHING that disagrees with you as hate!

As I said, everyone on RYL by now knows who you are and that you are anti-psych!

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Derpy

I am currently:

I'm making a support forum for this underrepresented mh issue. Anyone who is interested pm me

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)