Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:
Stigma around Prozac

I've just been put on fluoxetine as my second try at an antidepressant, but as silly as this sounds I'm a bit apprehensive about taking it due to all the stigma around it.

Why is there so much stigma around prozac?

It's the same thing as all the other SSRI antidepressants, so why is prozac the only one that gets all the media attention? And bad attention at that?

- Holly

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Sketchy

I am currently:

Hi Holly, I thinks it's because it's a name people without mh problems associate with ADs because of media, film etc. They probably wouldn't recognize the names of other ADs. Some people just can't understand why people can't get by without taking pills, and tend to focus on the negatives. Fluoxetine can be helpful to many people, but like all medication it can come with side effects.

The main thing is, does it help you? You may not be able to answer that yet, because it takes a few weeks to work, but give it a chance. I hope it helps.x

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
HopeRises

I agree with sketchy. It is the most well known due to the media and films/books.
It is actually the most common AD/SSRI as well.

Hope it helps x

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
cloudedmind

I am currently:

I think there's a lot of stigma surrounding Prozac not only because of media / film (which certainly doesn't help) but the fact that when it was first used it wasn't actually proven to help with depressive symptoms, or something like that, and it's 'known' (as a result of the media) for having awful side effects (which obviously can be the case for any antidepressant / drug, and it can equally have no side effects at all!

Also, it is the most widely used antidepressant worldwide (and only took two years of production to reach this status) so I guess that'd be why lots of people have lots to say about it.

cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Ah, I understand now.
I was just thinking why does it have to be this one and not the others? Stupid media!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
pb&banana

It's such a well known name, there is a book called Prozac nation. As above the media have amplified it's existence and what it does.
Sketchy is right if it helps you that is the most important thing. Think of you rather than any stigma. Think of number 1.

pb&banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
artichokeheart

I am currently:

Second that 'Prozac Nation' etc hasn't helped; possibly more stigma surrounding the drug in the US where psychologists can prescribe as well as psychiatrists.

Just to say that though I'm off Fluoxetine now, it really helped take the edge off when I was at my worst and without any side effects for me, personally. Best of luck!

oh, isn't it time you got over, how fragile you are?
we're all waiting, waiting on your supernova
because that's who you are,
and you've only begun to shine.

Feel free to PM anytime. x

artichokeheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Epicene

I am currently:

I'm not sure that there is a stigma per se, but as a trade name it seems to be the one that most people have heard of. I think this is more a result of American media than anything else; citalopram is the most widely prescribed AD in the UK.

Fluoxetine is beneficial for a range of issues and is particularly effective for reducing anxiety, so good luck with it. Remember that nobody even needs to know you're taking it, and that it's actually a good thing that it's well known - it means it's helped enough people to warrant being so widely prescribed!

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

There was a piece on the radio about prozac and AD's in general with this woman saying they are really hard to get off which I thought was rather one sided and didn't help the stigma.

I have said this so often and will say it again, it it works that's great and to hell with the stigma! People wouldn't be so quick to judge if it was insulin we were talking about!

If you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras!

MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I hope it helps you, it has definitely helped me, and bar the coming on to it and coming off period (and knowing to eat before taking it) I personally had very few if any side effects and it has been really helpful, and Far less side effects than other things I've been on, far far less.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Thankyou everyone! I feel a lot better about taking it now. But just one question before this get bumped down the boards: should I take it in the morning or at night? I didn't get told this time!

Old 14-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Pretty sure Prozac is taken in the morning.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #13
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

it is often taken in the morning as it doesnt sedate like some AD's do but as with any med some people find it more effective taking it at night

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

mj is my bright, flickering candle light ~ always helping me through to another day:)
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Epicene

I am currently:

I was advised to take in the morning when I was on it.

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

If you do take it in the morning just make sure to monitor how it affects you in any way ie. If you're sleepy thenbe careful with mmachinery (like if you're driving a car).

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling more reassured about this medication :)

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Patch.
Taylor

I am currently:

When I took it I had to take it in the morning. Also try and take it with food. The heart burn is hell otherwise. Hope it helps you x

How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?

Patch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Thanks all! I've been taking it in the morning for 2 days now. No side effects as far as thee eye can see, granted I have been started on a tiny dose. (10mg)

The only thing I noticed was that I couldn't get to sleep last night, but I'm crossing my fingers that it was just the heat. I had terrible insomnia with sertraline too so it would be a bummer if I had the same side effect with fluoxetine. No problems during my afternoon naps though!

Old 17-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Sketchy

I am currently:

I've been on it before and had no side effects. Just give it a go and see if it helps. Obviously if you have side effects that are unpleasant or feel worse go straight to your doctor.

Insomnia could be the heat. It's sooooooooo warm. I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight.

Also, I am mesmerized by the cat in your signature.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Agreed! I'm waiting for it to rain so I can cool down. I slept like a baby last night though, so at least for now I seem to have no side effects which is great and I hope it stays that way.

Also, thankyou! I love that little kitten in my signature :)

*Returns to topic*

Old 18-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
pb&banana

So you are taking every dose and not missing any? That's good well done. Takes quite a bit of time to get these drugs working so patience is the key.

pb&banana is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)