Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 23-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Anarchymummy
fighting with automatic self destruction...

I am currently:
Contains Suicide - Doctors Notes (regarding past history of SI/EDNOS/Abuse)

Hi folks, not sure if any of you will remember me but used to be a regular. Anyways wondering if someone would be able to give me a bit of advice regarding doctors notes and past histories of depression/alcohol abuse/eating disorders/SI.

I was at my doctors recently for a 'routine appointment' and have recently moved so it's a new practice and a new gp. I couldn't help but notice on her computer screen whilst talking that there were several 'warnings' in regards to myself such as:

*EDNOS- History of dysfunction with food/body image*
*Alcohol/Substance Abuse- dependant??*
*Repeated incidents of self-injury or attempts on life*

I was just wondering how long things like that stay on your 'immediate' notes? I have never been 'substance or alcohol dependant' BUT I know a lot of the time I was brought into Hospital after suicide attempts/severe SI I had consumed a lot of alcohol/recreational drugs.
However my last 'major' SI incident was almost 6 1/2 years ago and I haven't 'been in the mental health system' for about 4 now. Is this something that will 'haunt' me everytime I visit a new GP??

Any advice I'd be very greatful for... Thanks

“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”

20.12 .07 - Cathryn

Anarchymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
startingagain

I think that they have a summary of anything that you have been referred for. On the screen I have the results of a consultant's findings from many years ago that is not related to my MH or even relevant to my health now. You could ask for them to add underneath that you have not needed services for 4 years. I've only ever had one GP respond differently due to my MH and he's an idiot anyway.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Cacoethes
ˇViva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Paranoid schizophrenia is still on my notes, and I lost that diagnosis nearly 4 years ago!

GP has never mentioned it though. I only found out through being nosy and looking at the computer screen.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Anarchymummy

I am currently:

Thanks everyone, yeah I only saw it from being nosy and looking at her screen. I just didn't/don't want it to be something that everytime I visit 'pops' up. I know doctors etc aren't meant to judge you but I still worry they might especially now I'm a parent and hoping to go into teaching.

20.12 .07 - Cathryn

Old 24-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Cacoethes
ˇViva la Revolución!

I am currently:

In the 4 years since I lost that diagnosis, it has never been mentioned again, by anyone!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
pb&banana

You could look at it from a different view that even though you've done really well in the last 4 years those notes are there just in case you need them. I'm not saying you are going to relapse but maybe it will feel less haunting for you if you thought about your notes this way?

pb&banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Anarchymummy

I am currently:

That's actually a good way to look at it pb&banana :D

20.12 .07 - Cathryn

Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
pea soup

I am currently:

Hi there,

Here in the states you have a right to confidentiality and you don't have to give your history, unless you have been "red flagged" such as drugs and such. But I have the right not to share anything. I guess it just stays in the system where you are.

But I do agree that 4 years of no mental health system would be a plus for you in the new GP's eyes. :)

pea soup is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)