Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
HopeRises

Being put on lithium

So yesterday I saw my psych and explained my moods and she sent me for an emergency blood test and put me on lithium.

I have really mixed feelings about this. It seems like a massive deal and that it shouldn't be taken lightly in my mind but I feel it has just been thrown out there as the first option. She did say about depakote but then suddenly switched.

I feel like it has truly confirmed my bipolar (I have always had a doubt) and yeah. I am just finding it hard.

I wonder if anyone else has felt this way?

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
pb&banana

I have a friend who was on Lithium. She found it very difficult. How did your psychiatrist switch so quickly? Was there no discussion? My friend has Schizoaffective disorder but does understand the mood side very well and how meds have and haven't helped her.
Being put on Lithium doesn't mean that you never had bipolar in the first place, what's making you doubt yourself?

pb&banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I have just started on lithium this week too and I feel the same as you. It all a bit scary but hopefully it will be good for us both.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
HopeRises

I am hoping it will be ok. So far so good.
I guess I have been in denial all those years and didn't really care about the label so much and actually thought I was more BPD than bipolar? but suddenly it is like **** this is serious kind of thing if that makes sense? I don't know it just suddenly became real and scary.

I don't know why she switched from depokot to lithium so quickly. I was in a bit of a state and just accepted everything she said. For once I wish my dad was in the appointment cause he would have spoken up for me.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
pb&banana

I understand a drug like Lithium is a very big thing to deal with, it does make sense how you feel. I expect you never thought you would end up on a drug like this.

Have you got a follow up very soon with your psychiatrist? I think you need to take your dad to help you ask those questions your desperate to ask but couldn't because of the shock. Do they know about the BPD too?

Old 17-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
pb&banana

Are you ok?

Old 17-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

How's the lithium going?
I've been on it just over a week now and I have only had a little nausea as a side effect so far.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 17-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
HopeRises

Thank you for asking PB? I have a psych review at the end of the month.
I think so far everything is going ok. Got the shakes/tremors a little but that's about it.

I am still really paranoid though..am I drinking enough/weeping enough too much that kind of thing. But I had my second blood test today so I am sure it will be ok.

I have discussed my symptoms with my psych and the majority are bpd. Don't get me wrong I don't want that label or anything for that matter. I just don't wanna be treated for the wrong thing! Especially on such a strong dose.

How is it going for you ballerina?

Old 18-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
caz23

Coming in a bit late here perhaps, but I just wanted to say that I totally understand your feelings of apprehension surrounding taking Lithium. When my psych suggested that I take it (among other options) I also freaked out a bit and thought, "things can't be that bad?". Personally, I think that I initially regarded Lithium as a serious, heavy duty drug for severe disorders. But in hindsight, I'm glad that I elected to take it over some of the alternate options that I was given, and once we achieved the correct level and I settled into a routine with it, I was totally fine. No nasty side effects, and I think that it really did help with my symptoms. I did develop mild hypothyroidism but that was easily corrected with levothyroxine. Incidentally I am no longer taking it but only because I wanted to go "med free", and I didn't have any problems with withdrawal and such like, and my thyroid also returned to normal.

As for worrying about drinking too much or too little, I know it sounds simple, but just drink when you're thirsty, and if you can, try and stick to water and avoid diurectics such as caffeinated beverages. As long as you report any "warning signs" and make sure that you have regular blood work, you should be fine. It's great that you're mindful of the need to stay well hydrated, and I understand your concern regarding the issue, but try not to worry yourself too much about it. Easier said than done, I know!

On the subject of diagnosis, I was primarily taking Lithium to augment the effect of my AD, although I was also experiencing mood fluctuations (severe depression to very mild elation/high functioning). I have always been diagnosed with Depressive Disorder NEC, so Lithium isn't used exclusively for bipolar patients. But I wholly understand your concerns about being incorrectly diagnosed and treated for the wrong condition.

Sorry for going off on a tangent about my own experience with Lithium, I just thought it might help for you to hear a relatively positive story about it!

I wish you all the best with it, and hope that it helps x

Last edited by caz23 : 18-07-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: forgot something
caz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
pb&banana

Hope I had asked because it had been few days since you posted you were put on the Lithium and I were thinking about the side effects. First few days/week can be the scariest.
If it helps to know don't drink too much water as it can drop your sodium levels. I'd hate to be treated for the wrong thing but at least the BPD symptoms are on your notes.

Old 19-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
HopeRises

I am really struggling with the shakes/twitches tonight. Urg

Thank you for telling me you experience Caz. It was helpful and summed up how I am feeling. I am still like wtf I am not that bad but I realise that you don't have to be bad to be taking it.

I am mostly drinking diet coke (I am a diet coke addict) and ribena.
I had salt on my dinner tonight too. It was hard so I chose to have chips.

Ballerina how are you doing?

Old 20-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I'm going ok. 2weeks on the lithium so far (I'm on 600mg now) and no horrible side effects. However I also havnt noticed a change in my mood either. I still feel quite depressed daily.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 20-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
pb&banana

It can take a while for Lithium to work and to find your own optimum level since everyone is different. Sorry I hijacked a bit there.

Least you have the ribena in there. Maybe a little more water in amongst the diet coke? I can't talk much, I drink too much of the stuff too, tastes great.

What was hard about dinner? Are you worried Lithium will make you gain weight? It can happen to some like my friend but not always everyone.

Ballerina have you had any weight gain so far?

Old 21-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I have not gained any weight in the 2weeks I have been on it.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 21-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
pb&banana

My friend was on it for quite some time and she got some bad side effects but I don't want to scare.

Old 23-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
HopeRises

No, the dinner thing is cause I don't add salt to food, not even through the cooking process. The only time I have salt is on chips. Although the gaining weight thing will also upset me as I try so hard to keep my weight at a normal level and it isn't easy, I end up back in the overweight zone a lot.

I have been feeling a little ill, dizzy/headachy and tingling. I am thinking it is the heat and fluid/salt levels. I have been drinking but maybe not as much as I should for the amount of sweating. Urge. I wish I wasn't so paranoid about it cause I am sure it is all fine.

Glad your doing ok ballerina. Xx

Old 23-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
pb&banana

You've been on it nearly 2 weeks roughly? I hope as time moves on the paranoia about this medication will decrease for you.

I see, I didn't know you don't add salt to everything. You might find weight will even out over time. It still is early days. Sounds like you need to drink just a little more. Are you very active?

Last edited by pb&banana : 23-07-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)