RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 26-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
is it just me...

Or does Next To Me by Emeli Sande sound a lot like Colours of the Wind in Disney's Pochahontas?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwdjQmc_N8&ob=av2e"]Emeli Sandé - Next To Me - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_eN2w"]Colors of the Wind - YouTube[/ame]
After about 40 seconds Pochahontas' song just sounds a lot like Emeli's.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

Yes. :S

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

I wonder if disney know about this

Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Old 26-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Rafiki

I am currently:

Plagarism case! Dislike Emile Sande, looooove Disney (old Disney!)

Stray Kids fan.

Rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I can't really hear it myself.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

haha now you mention it I can kinda see it but I never would have put those 2 together.

I love both songs though so I really don't mind :D

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
The tunes are exactly the same. Try singing the lyrics to colours of the wind, starting at the "whatever land you land on" lines and not the ignorant savage starter. Sing it along with with the tune of next to me.
They sync up perfectly.

06.November.2011

Old 28-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

Most songs rip off other songs really. Most of them just use the basic chord structures that everyone uses to get your four chord songs.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
GlitterTrashDoll
eZine Editor

I am currently:

I can't really hear it either. *shrug*

DILLIGAF

"it’s when you’re acting selflessly, that you are at your bravest"
- Four.
CTFxC'er forever.

GlitterTrashDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Fry

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Asura

I can't hear the resemblance here. However, there are many songs that sound alike. A lot of artists buy the right to use samples or entire beats. It happens a lot in pop music. Most of the time it's entirely legal, but on occasion law suits are filed. You shouldn't just assume it's plagiarism because they sound the same. :P

Lady Gaga uses a lot of samples of other songs. The chorus of "So Happy I Could Die" is the exact same as Natasha Bedingfield's "Pocketful of Sunshine". Not sure if this one was legal or not, actually, but it's pretty blatant.

Last edited by Asura : 29-02-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
The One Who

I am currently:

The verse has some resemblance, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Loads of songs rip off others. Classical/orchestral stuff is some of the worst for it.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

I never assumed plagiarism. I just think she's singing t a similar, if not the same, tune.

06.November.2011

Old 29-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Asura

I didn't mean that YOU are implying there is foul play afoot. I meant in general one shouldn't assume plagiarism if songs song similar. :) Sorry about that.

Old 29-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

i see
:)

06.November.2011

Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
steviebeatie

Asura...wait, are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
I can't hear the resemblance here. However, there are many songs that sound alike. A lot of artists buy the right to use samples or entire beats. It happens a lot in pop music. Most of the time it's entirely legal, but on occasion law suits are filed. You shouldn't just assume it's plagiarism because they sound the same. :P

Lady Gaga uses a lot of samples of other songs. The chorus of "So Happy I Could Die" is the exact same as Natasha Bedingfield's "Pocketful of Sunshine". Not sure if this one was legal or not, actually, but it's pretty blatant.
Asura u r so wrong LOL. If a music act chooses to use samples or beats from another song, in their own, they still need to credit the writers of the song they're using (it isn't some underground deal), and Emeli did not do that, therefore it's plagiarism! Also I think it's hysterical (or sad) that u can hear the resemblance between Pocket Full of Sunshine and So Happy I Could Die (the chord progression is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT), yet u can't hear the similarities between Color of the Wind and Next To Me (even tho they have IDENTICAL chord progression and rhythm just a SLIGHTLY different tempo). LITERALLY if you can't hear a similarity between 0:17-0:55 in NTM and 0:39-1:15 in COTW than you're either biased, deaf, or stupid...let's hope it's the first one.

steviebeatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
steviebeatie

Asura...wait, are you serious????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post

Asura u r so wrong LOL. If a music act chooses to use beats or samples from another song, in their own, they still need to credit the writers of the song they're using (it's not some underground deal), and Emeli didn't do that, therefore it's plagiarism! Also I think it's hysterical (or sad) that you can hear the resemblance between Pocket Full Of Sunshine and So Happy I Could Die (the chord progression is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT), yet you can't hear the
similarities between Next to Me and Colors of the Wind (they have IDENTICAL chord progression and rhythm just a SLIGHTLY different tempo). LITERALLY if you can't hear a similarity between 0:17-0:55 in NTM and 0:39-1:15 in COTW than you are either biased, deaf, or stupid….let's hope it's the first one.

steviebeatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
jmchk1750@yahoo.com

Next to me

I agree one hundred percent! My daughter and I both heard "Colours of the Wind" in Emeli Sande's song "Next to Me"! Glad someone else heard the similarity too!

jmchk1750@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Asura

That guy's only two forum posts are in this thread? How unfortunate.

Nous avons abrité tous les rêves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Old 21-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
crazykat
Fight for another day

Yeah they do sound similar, but I love both songs

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)