RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-11-2015, 02:57 AM   #1
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - so I read a book

Against the odds by Susan Millard to be exact. The main character gets r*ped and now it's set off flashbacks of my own abuse.

I feel so stupid. It is only a book. It's a fictional one so not even an real account. I once read a book that was a real account of someone being abused and it didn't effect me in this way. I felt guilty because I bought the book knowing full well there was a r*pe in it.

I don't know what I want from this thread other than to say don't make my mistake.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
dbus-daemon

I am currently:

I'm sorry you're having flashbacks.

I know what you mean about fiction causing flashbacks, I watched a TV programme in which two of the characters have sex and I ended up having flashbacks as the situation was similar to my own. It wasn't rape, it was consensual sex that the characters were having but it reminded me of what my "boyfriend" did to me.

I think it's probably very common amongst sex crime survivors (and survivors of any other traumatic event) to be triggered by TV programmes, films, books, etc that have similar content to the traumatic event whether it's a real or fictional account.

Just coz something is fictional doesn't stop it affecting you if it's something that resonates with you so you don't need to feel guilty or stupid.

dbus-daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

*cuddles*
I understand. I have to avoid scenes like this in films for the same reason.
Take care of yourself. It will pass.

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

Oh sweetie, I really know how you feel, I was reading 'I let you go' by Clare Mackintosh & it was all going smoothly until all of a sudden she got raped towards the end of the book.
I found putting the book away, & straight away re-starting a new one as if to cancel out the flashbacks/thoughts on the other book.
How are you feeling now, have the flashbacks eased?
x x x

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
Truth&OtherDisasters

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_insig View Post
Against the odds by Susan Millard to be exact. The main character gets r*ped and now it's set off flashbacks of my own abuse.

I feel so stupid. It is only a book. It's a fictional one so not even an real account. I once read a book that was a real account of someone being abused and it didn't effect me in this way. I felt guilty because I bought the book knowing full well there was a r*pe in it.

I don't know what I want from this thread other than to say don't make my mistake.
I know how you feel completely. Triggers are tricky. At this point I am good enough that I can even read or watch something like that, and nothing...but then something small and completely seemingly unrelated would trigger me...That's how triggers work, anything that reminds you in some way, and you don't know what that can be...
When it comes to fiction though, I had huuuge trouble with Reign(so people who get triggered- don't watch season 2 or may be skip the series if you haven't watched them yet). Some moments there were really real for me, and it resulted in few very bad weeks in the beginning of this year.

Truth&OtherDisasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:36 AM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Thanks everyone for their comments. I am glad that I am not alone.

Helen yes the flashbacks are slowly getting less frequent. Since having counselling I have found that the flashbacks less prolonged than they used to.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)