RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:
BED and Slimming World

I am overweight and I really want to join slimming world however I am concerned that it will trigger my bed. Therefore losing weight would be pointless because I only have to have one bad day and put it back on. However when my mh is bad I deliberately restrict and I am concerned that following any sort of diet would cause me to resort to ed behaviours.

My biggest problem is that having to document all that I eat in an day. That's my biggest trigger because it makes me feel that my binge isn't enough. It sets off my competitiveness and if one day I eat X amount then the next day I eat X plus one amount.

I also can't stand being weighed. Again it triggers off my ed and I am worried that people will laugh at how much I weigh. I am scared that the person in charge will say that how much I weigh out loud.

Has anyone with a ed tried slimming world? Are they generally very good with people who have a ed? I like the fact that i can still eat my safe food's. I discovered that my spaghetti bolognese is classified as a free food.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 03-03-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 03-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Entropy

I am currently:

Hi, I have lots of experience with slimming world, and I think that from what I know of the other well known weight loss programmes out there, it seems to be the one that is most recommended by doctors and it is recommended as a "lifestyle change" rather than a "diet" so is safe to follow food optimising whilst pregnant etc. as well as after recovering from an ED.

However, I would also say it is important that you feel comfortable with your consultant. I am really lucky that I have a lovely consultant that I can talk to and get along with but I have been along to other groups where I know I haven't "clicked" with the consultant and I couldn't stay there long term. Some consultants will have more experience and training with EDs than others, some may have none at all, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to find one who can work well with you. I recommend being reasonably honest with them from the beginning about your issues and worries. There is a form to fill out when you sign up and a tick box about whether you have ever suffered from an ED - so you should definitely be honest here. It will trigger a conversation and you may possibly have to get the go ahead from your GP that it is safe for you, but I don't know of anyone who has had to.

One really positive thing about slimming world is that you don't have to measure and weigh your food and portions, and you only have to write down and document the first four weeks so that your consultant can check that you understand the plan (also this is flexible, nobody will force you to write it down but it does help you to stick to it especially whilst you get used to it), but you definitely don't have to write down the amounts that you eat if that makes sense? So you can have as much of xyz as you like if it's a free or speed food.

About being weighed - nobody is going to read out your weight to the whole group (they definitely shouldn't anyway!) and in my experience everyone is really supportive and nobody will laugh at you. It is likely that there will be people either in a similar position or who have been where you are now. If not at the group you go to then there will be a other groups - I certainly have been. It is really common for new members to feel that way, even without EDs, so most people who walk through the door will have felt a similar way at some point in time. Again, I suggest being really honest from the start. It is possible to phone your potential consultant (details on the website) before your first group for a chat which might help answer some of your questions and ease your concerns before you go. Also I am happy to answer any more questions you have if I can!

"this is the room where you don't have to be brave"

Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
HopeRises

They wont read out your weight but they will say how much you've lost that week in group. Some consults will say "a Gain" some will say how much of a gain and some will say "lost/gained X but still having a great loss of X" but I found that if you don't want that said out or there are times in group youd not like to be called out just chatting to your consultant about this can help.

I quiet like slimming world. I lost a lot the first time round. I got on with my consultant really well though. I have a naff one now. I don't do the food diarys, I didn't eve do it for the first 4 weeks but if you want to the opportunity is there. I find it is generally very supportive and you can make good friends from there.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks everyone. There is a group within a 10 minute walk from my flat so I plan to join it. One of my favourite binge foods a version of it is on the slimming world app in their recipe section and is very low in syns (it's free if you are using one ingredient as a healthy extra) so I wouldn't be doing so much damage if I binge.

I have decided to join slimming world because I like to cook. I already use the cooking spray that they recommend. I already belong to a couple of slimming world related Facebook groups so I shan't be bored of eating the same foods. Plus I can have certain normal foods so I won't feel as though I am on a diet.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 03-03-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Entropy

I am currently:

That sounds pretty sensible to me. Slimming world doesn't like you to view it as a diet because no food is off limits totally, but some foods are to be eaten in moderation. Even then you can use flexible syns on days when you think you can't stick to the usual recommended amount e.g. special occasions, and so you shouldn't ever feel completely restricted, and you are totally in control.
Also - if you kept what you were eating to within the slimming world plan, could you try not to look at it as a binge? You aren't restricted on quantities of free and speed foods, although you are encouraged to only eat until you feel full.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks Entropy.

I have just realised that I didn't say that I suffer from bed hence the title. However I haven't binged for nearly a year so I am concerned about joining slimming world will trigger it.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Entropy

I am currently:

Yes, I understand but if you try not to think about anything as a diet and just changing things subtly in the way you are eating. You don't need to worry about quantities of free foods on slimming world at all and it isn't "bad".

I don't fully understand binge eating so I might not make total sense here, but perhaps if you felt like you wanted to binge you could eat foods that were allowed on the plan first (you said one of your favourites could be made syn free?) and then you wouldn't need to necessarily view it as a binge because it is "allowed" and within the plan, so no matter how much you eat you haven't done anything wrong - does that make sense?

Old 04-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I can't really add to what's always been said!
The thing about slimming world is that you can eat much more than you would think and you don't go hungry
It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
glitterfairy

I've just started slimming world last few weeks and enjoy it :)

First of all I eat more now than what I did before slimming world but I have plenty of fruit, veg and salad.

No one will read your weight out you don't even have to look at it (I don't)

The consultant I have is lovely. But then again I knew her from school days.

Also I would suggest going to Iceland or get a delivery of slimming world meals for days that you really don't want to cook. X

Call me L :)

glitterfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #10
HopeRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterfairy View Post

Also I would suggest going to Iceland or get a delivery of slimming world meals for days that you really don't want to cook. X
This.

Also, if you follow the plan properly, you won't feel hungry or shouldn't anyways so you shouldn't binge. I need to sort my life out and start following it properly again tbh.

Good luck with it anyways. I'd def recommend it.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #11
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks everyone for their replies. Apologies for the late replyI don't normally frequent the ed board and I forgot about this thread.

The majority of the recipes on the slimming world app are free and for four people so if I felt like bingeing I could eat those. Plus I have a sweet tooth so I am allowed sweet stuff which makes it better. Normally I eat until I am full however.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)