RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
AlmondMilk

How could a therapist treat a client like this?

I can't forget about my therapist since last
week.

I felt what I was experiencing wasn't right in therapy.
I recalled starting therapy mid last year with
A student therapist who was finishing there masters off.
A man , good looking and is his mid 30's.
I myself late 20's .

Im going to put down my experiences in therapy and I apologise for advance if its a bit scattered.

So around Novemeber last year I asked them are they leaving? they said "yes" I asked "why" and my psychothearpist told me "because my wife doesn't like me doing psychotherapy ". I notice he was really sad when he mentioned this, I didn't know what to say. It felt really awkward.

I also recalled at the beginning stages of therapy they told me they were going to build apartments. But in my country it takes a whole YEAR for the council to accept anything, so my psychotherapist decided to stay.
So that event caused a lot of stress. Since I already had 4 therapist left in my life time since I was ten.

I knew my psychothearpist will leave but I didn't know when, which was unsettling for me. Especailly someone who experience Borderline Personatily Disorder traits.
When ever I asked my psychotherapist when I got anxious he was going to" leave" my psychothearpist would tell me he won't leave and said I can go with them and they will give me discount and that there superadvisor agreed I should go with them. That they like working with people who have borderline personatily disorder. Thats what I was told over and over again until last week.

This year so around October my psychothearpist and key worker where waiting for my psycharaist to come back from hoilday to decide if its ok for me to go with my psychothearpist since the psychotherapist is leaving the public health system. About 2 weeks ago I believe my psychotheaprist told me they cant see me in one week for what ever reason. I then wrote a letter of things that upsetted me and I thought it needed to be sorted out.
Things such as when he told me I was mainpluativie.
That I should make a funeral for a mum I didn't have.
About November last year he kept telling me he wasn't a good enough therapist to me and that maybe thats how the other therapist felt and my partner. I felt terrible guitly and I ended up self harming myself.
Another example was how there was this person that told they don't want to have kids and I told my psychothearpist how it bothered me and I don't know why. My psychothearpist said to me "I don't know either, maybe she reminds you of your mum, maybe your mum shouldnt have had kids"

I also told them I struggle to live at home with my mum and sister and they suggested I should get a tent and camp outside the house.

Also when I went through the love transference.
I told them how I did my own research and its common with people with BPD to look up there therapist online.
My psychothearpist said to me "It was scary" I felt really bad. I didn'tmean to scare my therapist and I didn't know what was going on in that time.
Thats only a few examples that been said.

I have spoken to my psychothearpist about it before but I never felt it was sloved. He would say things such as "Im human" or "how many times have we gone over this" or "we already spoken about this"
Anyway I gave the letter to my keyworker then they gave it to my psychothearpist.

So , just last week I go to my appointment to see my psychothearpist. My therapist was 15 mins late and then he came and he put the letter on the table and said "we already spoken about this"
And told me next week will be our last session. I wasnt told advance or knew anything. It was completely a slap on the face. It literally felt a force ending that I wasn't ready for.
I mention to them on the session when they told me next week is the last session. "But you told me that if say you had a year one year of therapy you have a month of the transession and then he said yes we did orangise it and waiting for the psycharaist.

But it never happened, no talking about it. Anything.

I left the session crying in the car and unable to drive home. The fellowing days was
Self harm and my partner ended up ringing my keywoker out of concern I will.commint suicide.

I be honsent I never have felt more than determine to end my life since this experience with psychothearpist. It has affected so greatly I find it diffcult to even trust another therapist or even approach therapy. I have literally lost my faith in therapy.

I didn't show up the last session.
My psychothearpist rang that day. I called them back since I was out.
They said they were suprised I didn't show up and they brought cake and milk shakes. I mentioned how I didnt go because I was scared I will kill myself.
They said "so you were trying to protect yourself"
I said to them I was under the impression I was going with you to your pirvate practice and I get discount. They told me that still stands. But I never got the details of there pirvate practice.
My psychothearpist told me since beginning of therapy that they were here for 2 years.

(Im thinking but then why did you told me this year that the public health system accept you in this year? And why mentioned the apartments etc. )

They cailm they told me they were going to leave in 3 weeks time. In no way did I recalled them telling me this.

Im good at remembering conversations word by word. Even my partner said if my psychothearpist did said that to me he was staying for 2 years or gonna leave 3 weeks. I would be anxious not knowing what to do.

They kept saying dont you remember? I was under the impression you knew.

I felt so angry and so I told them this which is true "I saw 3 professional psychologist and you know what they told me, you not ready to work in private practice "
I then hang up and never heard from him again.

I have confused feelings. At times I feel sad I never see him again..or I feel guitly cause they brought milk shake and cakes. At times Im angry.
I cry everyday what happened.

I don't know whats wrong with me. When I say walk in the mall I thought I see him but just some other guy.

Whats going on? Any advice or insight ?

It feels like a break up.

AlmondMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Juella
Valerie

I am currently:

That sounds like a difficult situation. Are there any positive things that might keep you busy for now and help you take your mind off things?

Generally, writing a letter explaining what bothered you about your experience in therapy was the right decision, so you're not in the wrong here.

I understand being upset about losing your therapist. Changing them is stressful, but sometimes it's for the best.

While it is okay to feel unsettled about your therapist leaving, it is very important to learn to move on and accept change. I know it's easier said than done, but that's the best you can do. Are you going to be provided with a new therapist now?
Or do you still plan to stay under your old therapist's care?

I do understand why some things he told you upset you and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. But even though there is immense pressure on therapists to act professional and be careful with their patients, therapists still are human and they make mistakes and have bad days and stuff like that.

Juella is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)