Guineapigged

TL;DR

"I was autistic before it was cool."

Guineapigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #82
Turtleface

I am currently:

Strange.. I replied but my post isn't here. Was it deleted? :S

maybe it was an error, in which case I'll DL;DR since not typing it out again.

Guineapigged, you are right in that if your friend is claiming to have mental illnesses to get attention then that would be wrong, and she is inadvertently demeaning you. However, Autism is not 'yours', you don't own it and nor is it a true part of your core identity. Don't treat yourself as the aspergers kid, now she took that from me. You are a human being :) you don't need labels to have an identity.

As for me, my psychologist said it may be possible and it's certain i have some kind of disorder and that I'm being tested later this week.

Turtleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #83
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Guineapigged, your friend does sound like she has Munchausen's Syndrome to some extent.....

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #84
Guineapigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Guineapigged, your friend does sound like she has Munchausen's Syndrome to some extent.....
Just googled Munchausen's and it describes her exactly.

I agree with the person who said I don't "own" autism and I guess because it's such a touchy subject for me I overreacted a little.

Old 31-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #85
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Erin if I don't have HFA then I'm just the odd freak in the corner?

I'm not calling anyone with autism a freak, I'm just trying to describe myself.

I'm lashing out at people and I hurt because of how people at uni are treating me and I don't understand why they act like they do. Why do people smile at you but they are not smiling because they like you. So many hidden motives.

People talk to me when it's convenient then they ignore me and when I try to make conversation they look at me oddly.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #86
Steel Maiden

^ I can partially relate.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #87
Ileana
Amarantos Everlasting

I am currently:

Oh, nice thread. Hello, I'm an adult diagnosed with mild (on the extreme 'high-functioning' end of the spectrum) AS...

"...that incremental suicide of turning your life into a dream, to make being awake as similar to sleep as possible. Drowsily, lazily, dry-mouth your way through the day's ceremonies, fumble your way back into the dew-bather you never really left, draped in brown, brown now all around, the haze!" - Russell Brand on drug addiction.

"Si ma êkh gûndo piyiamásko...ándo bírto barruno. Bírto, bírto barruno."

Ileana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #88
MrsNutkin

I am currently:

Is being unsettled by short notice changes to your routine a symptom of anxiety as well as Autism? I'm apparently not on the spectrum but have just filled out an ESA50 and found it hard to describe my anxiety. Small changes get me frustrated and upset but to be honest I found the questions very open to interpretation.

MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #89
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
Is being unsettled by short notice changes to your routine a symptom of anxiety as well as Autism?
I think it is, although there may be overlap. I have episodes of severe anxiety on a daily basis but that is in reaction to problems around my Autism - i.e. I will have a panic attack if someone cancels an appointment on me.

Today, as I was coming home from seeing my social worker, an ambulance went right past me on full blast and I screamed and put my hands over my ears, even though I had ear plugs in. People kept staring at me and I nearly got ran over as I was trying to get away.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #90
Guineapigged

I missed my support group today and I'm so freaking angry I can barely type.
It's normally at 12pm but for some reason I'd got it into my head that it was at 7pm. My Mum asked me repeatedly if I was sure and I said yes. She'd written in her diary 12pm but I made her change it to 7pm because I was so sure.
Got home from college around 3pm, got out the letter for a final check and with a sinking feeling realise that the meeting WAS at 12pm and I'd missed it. The 7pm thing was a different thing but because it was bolded it jumped out at me. I wish I'd read the damn thing properly or even just trusted that my Mum was right.
I am so angry and upset because there is only 1 meeting per month and I literally count down the days til the next one. It's the only thing I find helpful and I really needed it but now I missed one.
I don't know how to make myself feel better, I had a long howl, punched some stuff, watched TV but I'm still so disappointed. It's not like "oh, there's always next time" because that's a MONTH away.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #91
Turtleface

I am currently:

I asked my psychologist about ASD and did some kind of assessment.

My psychologist said that to assess it they would have to speak to my mother, but now I'm worried because of how against all this stuff she is. My mums philosophy is very much if somethings wrong you suck it up and pretend its not, she also hates psychiatrists/ psychologists and is likely to oppose it simply because of that. So I wonder if there's any point to continuing with this, my possible outcomes seem to be this:

She answers honestly and I don't have ASD, then goes on to call me multiple times a day to harass me about it.
She answers honestly and I do have ASD, then goes on to call me multiple times a day to harass me about it.
She answers falsely so it looks like I don't have ASD, then goes on to call me multiple times a day to harass me about it.

I don't know if it's worth going through with..

@guineapigged: Maybe there's another group you can go to, it could be good to have more than one and then at times when you miss one it's not too long before the other... but IDK I know how daunting it is to start these things.

@steel maiden: That sounds bad :( hope you weren't too embarrassed.

Turtleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #92
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

i've decided that my last post about diagnosis was a little pessimistic and sinical even for me... so going to try being more possitive now lol. Thinking of seeing if I can get screned once I get back to uni uni in September

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #93
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Oly- how did you get tinted lenses for your glasses?

I mentioned to my optician at my last sight test that I was getting headaches and feeling weird and dizzy at the fact that it felt like my eyes were taking in too much (I know now that it is overstimulation) but she did not do anything about it or suggest tinted lenses.

Now that there is a possibility I have ASD then maybe I will be taken more seriously, but even if I don't ahve ASD I still experience the overstimulation.

I'd like to know how to get the irlen lenses.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #94
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

I was diagnosed with aspergers at a young age, and still struggle with alot of things now. I also started hearing voices when i was 15 and have also been diagnosed with psychosis. Though a couple of psychiatrists have said they think i have schizophrenia.

Does anyone else here have aspergers/autism and also psychosis/schizophrenia i have heard it can happan ocasionally. I would love to chat to people going through a similar experiance.

Also does anyone else here have a special interest in buses/trains?

Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Ellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #95
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Trains :)

Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #96
Ellyx
Ella

I am currently:

I love to learn all the timetables etc

But i talk to people far to much about trains/buses and bore them to death XD

Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality

Ellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #97
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerchickelle View Post
Also does anyone else here have a special interest in buses/trains?
I love trains. I have the "GB Rail Timetable" book which lists every single train route and train timetable in the whole of Britain. I also know numerous train routes off by heart (London Waterloo to Weymouth and many other stations, and a lot of St Pancras and Liverpool Street lines too).

I sometimes go on train trips for the sake of sitting on a train and observing the scenery.

I love High Speed Rail too. It is annoying that my First Capital Connect service from St Helier to St Pancras International (uni route) is so slow.

I used to know the tube map off by heart but I haven't practised for a while.

I have two books about trains and three books about the London Underground.

Trains are truly fantastic.

Last edited by Steel Maiden : 04-02-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: additional

Old 06-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #98
Fracture

I am currently:

Don't you hate it when you never seem to be able to understand what somebody means? The past couple of days have been torture for that, not understanding a persons feelings. I've had a bit of a bust up with a friend and yet another relationship is hitting the rocks! I can't help but blame it on my Aspergers. Anyone else go through stages of not really getting anything?

And I use trains often haha! Virgin Trains

Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #99
Steel Maiden

^ I hate it when that happens too. My mum is the complete opposite to me (we don't live together and we don't talk anymore) and she purposefully uses sayings and hidden meanings to confuse me.

Virgin Trains are good, I like travelling on them. First Capital Connect needs a bit of improvement though.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #100
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock holmes View Post
Erin if I don't have HFA then I'm just the odd freak in the corner?

I'm not calling anyone with autism a freak, I'm just trying to describe myself.
If this is aimed at me, I don't, what, i'm confused.

I feel like a freak so much of the time, but t's not nice to refer to yourself like that (self esteem in social issues course taught me this), it may just be because of your life, does this make sense? you've been through a lot and that restricted how you learnt to integrate into society, but i don't want to say anything to offend you at all, but i can't explain what i mean.

having the label hasn't really changed anything for me, then again, because i'm high functioning maybe they just expect me to get on with it?

The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)