RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
amber_rose

I am currently:
SI Question - My sutures arnt right, I think...please HELP! D:

Okay so I had a very bad cutting incident and I went to the ER. The doctor saw me for about two seconds and then told a medical student to staple every wound that was gaping, the real doc never came back anyways this was on monday morning and I have stapleas around variois places in my arm but it being wendsday and I finally unwrapped it and washed the dried yuck off most of my stapled wounds are still gaping in the middle and the staples sides are just below my skin I can even see them also they are not flush with my arm they are sticking up about two millimeters! Somethings not right here im pretty sure, ive never had staples or stitches before but all I know is it dosent seem right especially since im black and blue up to my shoulder! Help!!!!

Last edited by Animad : 01-12-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Removed the number of staples
One Hug Given By:
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
~AngelofLove~

I am currently:

I'd go back to the ER or go to a doctor...

Member of SquishySquad

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
argumentative

I am currently:

Wow, that sounds terrible!!
I'm not sure what more can be done, as after a certain time suturing or otherwise closing a wound won't actually do any more use than leaving it be, and since it was a while ago now...
However, I would definitely go back and ask for it to be assessed - not least so the hospital can see what a crappy job was done and hopefully investigate the doctor responsible!

it's the choices we make.

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"CATS," he said eventually. "Cats are nice."

Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Animad

Without seeing it I can't say for definite whether it is good/ bad/ indifferent. It isn't uncommen or necessarily a bad thing for there to be a certain amount of gaping between staples (or sutures which is the medical name for stitches) and also they don't really always fall flush to the skin. Most of the time you can get them like that but not always.

As you are worried I would get them checked out ASAP; obviously I can't say for definite whether it is really bad or not as staples can be a bit like that, but I would get it checked out. As it has been closed then it can be redone just by taking one out and replacing it with another. Otherwise, if needed they can also remove them, take the skin away at the edges and then close it again with either sutures or staples (or a combo of the two). As the doctor checked it afterwards and OK'd it, unless somethin has changed a lot since (if it was really swollen when it was first done for instance which will be the reason for it now being like it is) it may be fine, but like I said, it's impossible for me to say so get it checked out. If it is 2mm from the skin then that is definitely a bit on the far away side as they should be as flush as possible but it isn't always easy/ possible and it could also depend how much they were worried about infection (as if there is an infection you don't want something totally closed as then there are much greater risks).

But yep, go and get them checked and see what can be done if it is needed.

If you want you can send me pics for me to assess (I will say though that pictures of this kind of thing and also any other medical related questions should only be sent to a memberof the FA Team what I think, so not just anyone) due to tip sharing/ graphic nature/ triggering and also giving incorrect advice, but it would be better for it to be checked out in person as things can be assessed much better and also something can be done there and then..

KimA, First Aid Advisor.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Animad

Sorry, I just read it wrong.

As the doctor never came back to check it then yes, I would get it checked again.

For future reference, if anyone gets treated by a medical student (which people should be fine about), then they should get it checked by a doctor or nurse (as nurses are able to stitch/ staple/ glue/ steri-strip wounds closed) after just to make sure it is ok before they leave as obviously the student is only learning and they also may not know if it's incorrect or not unless it gets checked afterwards and so as well as you who if it is wrong can help save problems later, it can also teach them in at the time so they don't continue to do it the same if it is incorrect). I'm a vet and when I was a vet student (which wasn't too long ago), I'd have wanted things like this checking out to make sure it was done properly.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)