Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-01-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
Sefka

I am currently:
nhs weight management programme

First, hi. First time posting in this forum.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice they could share. My GPís referred me to this weight management programme thing Ė itís called More Life and from their website it seems like it isnít run everywhere.

Iím kind of scared about doing it. My GP doesnít know about my past history of depression/SI. Iíve never considered myself to have an ED Ė I mean, I know Iím really overweight and I eat terribly but thatís just me being rubbish. But since the people from the programme have been in touch (only to ask a bunch of questions over the phone and ask me to do a bunch of questionnaires by email), my mental state has just been terrible. Iíve been more triggered to SH than I have in years, I donít know if Iím going to be able to do this programme. But I have to.

I feel like, Iíd feel a bit better if I knew what it was going to entail Ė like, exactly what theyíre going to ask of me. But the woman I spoke to, and their website, really didnít have much information. Thereís an email address but my questions feel really childish and I donít want to get kicked off the programme before Iíve even started.

I dunno, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of programmes like this that they could tell me about. Or just some words of encouragement. Iím feeling pretty rubbish.

Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!

Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Sefka

I am currently:

Can gps do that? Sorry if that's a dumb question. When I was ill before, I was living abroad so just found a private therapist. What would happen if I told my gp I was scared about starting to SH again?

Old 02-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Aardbei
Mali - Deputy Head Forum Moderator

I am currently:

Your GP can refer you to services to assist with your mental health, and they may also want to see you more regularly to check in with how things are going/how it's affecting your wellbeing. Your doctor is your first port of call if things get tough so definitely let them know this is proving difficult for you.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about More Life but if you've been referred I'm sure it's a successful and healthy way to go about losing weight. You might be able to find forums online where people have used it that could give you more insight into it.

What do you think it is about the programme that's bringing stuff up for you?

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Sefka

I am currently:

Thanks, I'll keep the GP thing in mind.

I'm just kind of scared and ashamed. It's like, I spent so long completely hating myself and having more or less got past that, now other people are going to be like, 'no, you actually have a reason to hate yourself, let us quantify it for you and shine a massive fing spotlight on it.'
And it won't work. Nothing has ever worked. So then I'll have failed at that too.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Sefka

I am currently:

Sorry, that sounded kind of whiney. I'm really not in a good place right now.

Maybe being overweight has always been an easy thing to point to and say, 'this is why I hate myself and why others hate me,' but it's sort of safe. And now I'm going to have to change myself... it's scary.

Also I get pretty lonely and I think eating has been a bit of a reaction to that. If I don't have that any more, then I have to find some other way to deal with loneliness and I can't see what that could be.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I don't know about that one, but the area where I originally come from does Slimming World referrals (for 12 weeks only I think, but perhaps longer if you are very overweight). I had a friend do that and she continued to do it (paying herself) after the 12 weeks and lost a fantatic amount of weight (the record for the group).

I've done Slimming World (like quite a lot of members here!) and it's actually pretty good. My mum lost a lot of weight with it too. The 'groups' start with discussing (unless you don't want to) how your week was (foodwise) ie. have you lost/gained, were you happy/okay about the week, things you liked and din't like. Sometimes people say 'oh I found this great receipe' or 'oh, I struggle with this..." and people suggest ideas for things. Like one week someone said they were struggling with snacking and I mentioned that I like eating those tiny expensive chopped fruit pots because it feels naughty to get fruit like that and that satisfies my urge to eat!

The talky-group bit is called IMAGE therapy for us but I found it really helpful to get ideas - nobody really teaches you how to eat healthily in life and the internet is full of contradictory advice. Even when I ate healthily before I would eat the same boring meals, and it's really helped me get into cooking fun, different, interesting meals. The groups are always really positive - even if you gain weight.

I imagine your group will run in a similar way.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Sefka

I am currently:

Thanks, it's good to know what others' experiences are.

I did do weight watchers several years ago. Unsurprisingly, it didn't work and I HATED the meetings.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

My mum did weight watchers and she wasn't a fan. It may just of been where we were but I think she found it quite negative and less constructive.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Also on WW you can literally eat anything within your number of points - so you could eat your entire points worth of chocolate one day. SW is much more rule-orientated (but not in a restrictive way).

Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #10
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I was referred somewhere very similar. It was nothing to worry about really, everyone who went spoke to their adviser privately so we didn't hear anyone else talking about their struggles. We got weighed when we arrived and then we'd sit down with the adviser and go through the food we'd eaten that week and how we'd found the suggestions to eat more healthily etc.

It didn't work for me so I didn't go back. I felt it was too general and not quite as supportive as I struggle with a diagnosed binge eating disorder which goes beyond the help that group offers.

Isnít it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is differentÖ

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #11
Sefka

I am currently:

Oh, that sucks that it didn't help. But being able to do things a bit more privately makes it sound more manageable. What are they like if you haven't lost weight or messed up in some way?

I actually haven't heard squat from them since I did the questionnaires, which is partly annoying but has also given me a bit of time to calm down. Going back to work and having a bit of distraction has helped too.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #12
Sefka

I am currently:

Had an email saying I'm on a waiting list and will start the programme in 2-4 months. But in the meantime, log on to their website and set up your profile and goals n stuff.

And bosh, good mood gone and I have not stopped crying since I logged onto the website. wft is wrong with me?!?!!? I hate myself so much right now.

The website said to set weekly goals. I wrote the first two or three okay, but then by the 5th, 6th etc I'd given up and started writing massively sarcastic entries (because, being British, sarcasm is the only tool I have for dealing with overwhelming emotions.)

I can't do this. I suck.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #13
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Regarding setting goals, I have been taught how to make realistic ones and I think its helpful. I dont know about you, but I'd have the tendency to set goals like "stop eating unhealthily" which are vague but also difficult to stick to.

Using that example, a good way of goal setting is to make them SMART.

S- specific
M- measurable
A- achievable
R- realistic
T- time based

So rather than say "stop eating unhealthily" a good way of making it specific would to identify one food I want to eat less of. Perhaps crisps. And to make it achievable it would need to be something I can actually do. Being unachievable would be to say "never eat crisps again" because I'd give in. That also ties in with being realistic. And the time based element would be to specify how long I want to try it for before re-evaluating. A week is usually a good start.

So it becomes "I will eat no crisps for one week" which is easier than telling yourself you can never have them again.

Hopefully that makes it easier for you to set specific, realistic goals that you will achieve and feel better about yourself.

Isnít it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is differentÖ

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #14
Sefka

I am currently:

Can I just say, I really really appreciate you guys taking time to reply to me. It means a lot.

Everything seems utterly impossible right now. But I'll try the goals thing (although can't track weight as don't have scales, not that it matters as there won't be any change to measure) and hopefully by the time the course starts properly, I'll be in a bit of a better state mentally.

Can I ask, how do you keep up motivation to do weight loss stuff? I cannot shake the conviction that it's all pointless and will never work - it's like there's a tantrum-throwing 4 year old in my head and I hate myself for it.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)