Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:
*bump with new question 15/8* Hypomania/mania as an 'offshoot' of bpd??

What helps you study/follow conversations? I want to do lots of things but my thoughts are jumping. Logically I need to study so I can do stuff in the future and for my plans to be possible. My thoughts jump though...like a grasshopper or something, like jimminy cricket...who is probably a cricket not a grasshopper thinking about it. Damn it! Sometimes to random topics that are totally unlinked and other times (more likely) to something that's linked. Same thing happens when I have conversations with people. I can't focus on what they are saying and to be honest I kind of just want them to stop talking so I can go back to talking because that's far more interesting! Which makes me sound really awful and I'm not usually like this, honestly. I'm hoping things will return to normal soonish but in the mean time, how do you get stuff done and focus when like this/thoughts etc are jumping??

Thanks

Last edited by Pomegranate : 15-08-2014 at 02:44 PM.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is online now   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I get this when I'm manic.
I have so many thoughts and they are all so fast, so powerful and interesting (well to me anyway).

When I'm at home I try to write all the thoughts down so that I can put them in order of importance and then I read through the list really slowly (you kind of have to force yourself to read slow). It doesn't necessarily slow the thoughts but it does organise them so they are more manageable.

As for the letting people talk bit. I'm really bad at that so I'm sorry can't offer any advice x

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

THanks for replying . I'm not manic but possibly slightly 'elevated', as my team say .

I made a rough plan and list and didn't put pressure on myself and managed to get some work done tonight. I feel like I'm constantly pulling my brain back into focus/logic on a lead or something! I also don't wAnt to annoy my friends or appear rude re the talking thing. What I'm saying just feels more interesting and important and everyone takes soooo long to get their words out and by the time they hAve my brain has moved onto something else!

If anyone else has any other tips or advice that would be great. My nephrologist (awesome name for a Dr) told me I couldn't go back on my normal psych meds because of kidney issues although I'm allowed to use prn for some reason which I've done today.

Thanks again.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #4
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Do your team have a plan to manage your 'elevated' mood? It sounds like it's causing a fair bit of disruption in your life.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I find calming activities can help too.
Deep breathing and relaxation x

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #6
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies

What exactly do you mean by calming exercises? Breathing helps to an extent. It givess me some space to try and slow things a little.

My team's plan seems to be 'keep an eye on it' and use crisis team if you need to. Supposed to be trying to do something quietish with friends or family every day to try and keep occupied and run any excursion/travel plans past them as well before acting. I'm seeing my consultant psych on the 12th but because of an operation I am unable to see my support worker next week although I can call/text her. I also don't have access to my passport at the moment so fun trips are more difficult (sad times) and they want me to handover my credit cards to someone I trust or cut them up. That doesn't help with the focusing/talking thiugh. Volunteering and trying to focus was painful today! Luckily it wasn't too busy!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I think there are some breathing exercises on YouTube. I know my mum has a CD and I always end up going in to find the CD running and her fast asleep!

It sounds like you have a lot of plans in place to keep you safe and manage your elevated mood, and I hope it eases soon.

Old 15-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Sorry to bump this but didn't want to make a new thread! Saw my psych on Monday and SW today and they've decided I'm in a hypomanic episode and it's escalating/ed. I was diagnosed the bipolar last year alongside traits of bpd. Try said today that they are now thinking my 'manic episodes' are an 'offshoot' of bpd. I asked what skills I should be using etc etc and they then said that evade its caused by chemicals and I'm not showing typical bpd thoughts/behaviours that medication, rather than skills is really needed to control the moods, especially the high! I don't understand. What the hell does 'manic episodes as an offshoot of bpd' even mean??

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 15-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

This is really difficult. I'm not surprised your confused.

I had this once. I also have traits of bpd (along side schizoaffective bipolar) and once had a hypomania and my psych said it was a result of bpd rather than my bipolar. I got really confused because I had been manic for weeks and it hadnt been reactive or triggered by anything in particular. I I asked my psych and he said it was because it seemed more like a prolonged mood swing rather than a bipolar/chemical thing. I asked how he can tell, he said he can't it's just a feeling. Which in my eyes is not a very good assessment or very helpful for the patient.

However he said to me resently that he was going to a conference at the royal college of psychiatry soon and there is a talk on weather bipolar and bpd are actually the same illness. New research suggests they are and there may be a change in diagnosis of these two illnesses and join them together.
His point was that if this research is correct then it doest really matter weather symptoms are a result of bpd or bp because they are the same thing anyway. It also suggests that meds and/or coping skills could help your hypomania.

I don't really know if this makes sense. I just thought that it might help to know.

I have a book on managing mania without meds I can write some stuff in here if you want?

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 16-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks for replying . If you could that would be great!

I'm just confused because they said about it being because of chemicals and that it isn't anything I've done or not done and I always thought bpd moods were short lived and I've been 'elevated' for weeks although it does seem to have escalated the last week or two. I know it ultiMately doesn't mAtter what the label is as long as treatment works but I like to understand where drs etc are coming from and why (im like it with physical treatments/diagnoses/meds etc as well!).

Although if I get asked one more time to rate my mood between 1-10 I might kill someone!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 16-08-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I don't know what any of that means, but do they have a plan at the moment for bringing things back under control?

Old 17-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #12
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Not really. She is contActing my nephrologist to see if she what meds she can give me and I'm supposed to ask on Wednesday. Seeing her again on 26th and key worker to keep an eye until then unless something changes! Which works for me. I'm not sure I wAnt their meds. Trying really hArd to focus on consequences of being 'high' and whilst it doesn't alwAys feel that comfortable, it is freaking awesome (like me ) in other ways!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 17-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #13
youonlyliveonce

On a scale of 1-10 how elevated are you lol

Did they suggest wat u cud do to cope or bring it down

Old 17-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

*loads shot gun and puts on hunting gear* NINE!

She just said use my prn, try and make sure I keep as reasonable a sleep pattern as ppssible, avoid driving and try and avoid being 'overstimulated'. I tried to explain to the penguin that shitting on me was against psychiatrist commands but he continued to show no remorse. BUT they had a pet shop and I didn't buy anything! Check out my remarkable self restraint!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 18-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Sorry it took a while for me to get back to you. I had to find my therapy work.

Managing mania:
- stay away from coffee, alcohol and drugs.
- manage your money by giving your cards to someone you trust.
- get as much sleep and rest as possible ( i have found that I personally have to force this on myself a bit but it does help)

Activities which can help your mood include: exercise, long walks, meeting with friends, doing art work, reading a good book or magazines if your concentration isn't good, write your feeling a and thoughts down, eat and drink well (healthy diet with complex carbs is good), aim to spend 50% of your day doing relaxing activities.

Always remember
"Just because I feel like doing something doesn't mean I have to"
We don't have much choice over our mood but we do have choice over our behaviours.

Things that you should avoid during mania:
- shopping
- going to parties.
- drinking alcohol or taking drugs
- staying up all night/ not getting enough rest.

The 72 hour rule:
Sometimes when we are high we get a flight of ideas and can make impulsive decisions. If you promise yourself that you will leave every decision for 72 hours you are more likely to act less impulsively.

In my experience I have found that you can significantly reduce your manic symptoms by sticking to these things. It often takes a week or 2 till I notice a difference though. It will help on a day to day basis yes, but to feel calmer you have to keep going for days/weeks.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 19-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thank you for taking the time to find that stuff and post it :)

I'm really not good on the 72 hour rule at the moment. Although I could have gone to a prison today with my mum's farm and I didn't because I figured I needed to study plus not sure I could behave 'appropriately' in a prison :/ My mum asked me if I was on drugs on Sunday! Forcing myself to try and sleep although the time I'm getting to sleep and the quality of sleep seems to be reducing. Not that tired though.

I'm avoiding alcohol and doing lots of physical stuff to try and get rid of energy. Weird mix of physically tired, like my limbs feel heavy which I'm guessing is because of still redovering from a major physical issue and kidneys still not working properly and mentally buzzing. But I can't think straight. I have exams next week. Having thoughts that maybe I've not got the condition they say I do and they just want to use it as an excuse to monitor me and do tests. Not sure why. That's illogical though. Doesn't help. Is this a normal part of high moods? My brain feels this weird mix of melty and fizzy! I text my SW to see if she has any suggestions and instantly regretted it. I should be able to figure this out by myself! And I'm not sure I trust them at the moment either and now there is a written record.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 20-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #17
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Could you at least try a 24 hour rule?
Do you care team know that you're feeling this high/fuzzy? t seems like things are increasingly out of control.

Old 20-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #18
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Hi Sophia

Yes they do. I gave in and text my SW earlier because I was going out of my mind. I don't think trying to force myself to focus and study is helping. Had a very quiet evening with a couple of friends and lorazepam which seems to have helped a little. Didn't think my SW would reply because it was after 5 but she called my psych who wants to speak to me tomorrow and increase my quitiapine. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Still feel 'fizzy' and really struggling tonight with impulse control and wanting to do fun things. Staying at my mums though. See sensible? Gotto leave at 7.30 for nephrologist appt. I think people are getting annoyed with me, well in fact they've flat our told me they are! I'm angry they don't want to do all the fun stuff though and that they aren't keeping up. But why should they? I'm trying to keep things as under wraps as possible but apparently failing! I just want to be able
To think clearly and for my brain not to be melting or fizzing. I can't remember if this happened last time!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 20-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

This is probably a really stupid question but can elevated mood cause high blood pressure? Two weeks ago it was a fairly normal 130/85 or something. Today the consultant nephrologist took it an the lowest reading was 172/83 :-/

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 21-08-2014, 01:42 AM   #20
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I think dealing with someone with an elevated mood can often be more challenging that dealing with someone with a depressed mood as they're harder to contain, but I'm sure people understand.

I imagine an elevated mood might cause you to be more exited or hyper or agitated, which could in turn lead to a raised blood pressure, but even so, that sounds like quite a big jump! What did doctor say?

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)