RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
I am a cat

I am currently:
Zopiclone

Is anyone here on Zopiclone?
I have been on it for 2 years, and just recently I have noticed that it doesnt work anymore, Im getting so desperate and cant see my GP and wondered whether other people have problems and what your advice is.
Someone recommended taking two tablets, to double the dose, is that a good idea? Has anyone else done this?

I am a cat is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Wonderland.

I have zopiclone PRN.

You aren't meant to take it every night, or at least that is what I have been told as your body can get dependent on it resulting in the dose you've been prescribed not having as good effect as when you first took it.

I wouldn't change your dose without first speaking to whoever prescribe you them.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
youonlyliveonce

You shud only b on it for a max of 3 weeks at a time as ur body becomes dependant on it n u need more n more
Recently iv been on 7.5 n the doc said if I was desperate I cud take two bug not to do it every night

Hugs have u got a gd sleep hygiene routine

Old 06-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
Arienette

I am currently:

This often happens with Zopiclone. It happened to me. I started to need more to get an effect so had to stop incase I became dependant on the stuff.

x

Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
property

I'm dependant on Zopiclone and have been for about 3 years now. Speak to your prescriber, I was told one thing I could try to do is only take it on set days, to wean myself off of it.

So if I had to do something the next day, then I took one the night before, if I didn't, I still had to go to bed at usual time and get up, no matter how much sleep I got, it was nasty at times, but it kinda worked.

property is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Agreed zopiclone is addictive and should only be prescribed in the short term as your body gets used to it meaning you need more for it to work and will find it harder to sleep without it.

Doubling your dosage will work in the short term but in the long term you will be in a similar situation so I would talk to your dr about this.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Epicene

I am currently:

Definitely don't double the dose yourself. Zopiclone actually only works really effectively for a couple of weeks, because your brain builds up tolerance very easily. Some people (myself included) can take it longer and find it still helps somewhat, but that is most likely due to combinations with other meds or a placebo effect.

By all means see your GP but prepare yourself for the possibility that they may wean you off the Zopiclone and be against prescribing similar medications. Promethazine is often a good option for people because it is not addictive and you can buy it over the counter.

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
jamesmarsh21

The first step is you must see that tablets is of approved by FDA or not. If it has not, then change the it by consulting with a doctor.

jamesmarsh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I'm not surprised it doesn't work any more if you've been on it 2 years! Your body has built up a tolerance to it now. It's only meant for very short term, occasional use for this reason.

Do not double/increase the dose. If you do it might work for a very short while but then you'd get a tolerance to that dose and you'd need to increase it again, and again and that's how a dependence/addiction gets started.

You need to go back to your doctor, explain what's happened, and wean slowly off the zopiclone.

If you need something to help you sleep then it's much better to try a sedating antidepressant or antipyschotic rather than benzodiazepines. Your doctor will be able to help you on this matter.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
Sneckie
RYL First Aid Advisor

I am currently:

Ive been on zopiclone for almost 6 years, had I known the problems it would cause I would never have started it. However their are proper treatment programmes written up on how to reduce and then stop it. I'm hoping to do this fairly soon.
Dont ever take more of the dosage than the Dr has prescribed. I think it may be for the best to go in a have a chat with your Dr about your concerns.

Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain."

Kahlil Gibran

Sneckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)