Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #61
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLost_and_BrokenXx View Post
I have radio 4 on because listening to the shipping forecast is kind of hypnotising in its calm repetetiveness.
I think I might try this! :)

Nature sounds don't work for me, but I've bought a few relaxation apps on my iPod which have really helped me. I find it really hard to practise progressive muscle relaxation on my own because I tend to rush it, so I like someone's voice to guide me. It kind of makes me feel like there's someone there who cares about me, and I feel safe from nightmares for some reason.

I also really enjoy guided visualisation, it gives me something nice and calm to imagine, so I sometimes listen to those too when I get too 'used' to my relaxation apps or my mind keeps wandering to bad thoughts.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #62
DougRyan25

I am currently:

I do not really tolerate myself in taking medications just to get asleep, because I am afraid that these will cause complications in my health. What really works in me in order to sleep well is that I watched funny movies. I believe that a laughing heart can really sleep well.

DougRyan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #63
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

*le bump & le question* (because I don't want to make a whole new thread)

Does anybody have any advice for reducing/eliminating nightmares?

Mentally, I feel like I am over the things that happened to me. I'm getting more and more comfortable by the day and less inclined to check things often to be safe. Yet, on random occasions, I will still have very frightening nightmares about it that leave me waking up at stupid-o'clock with my heart racing. There's no pre-warning at all, I don't necessarily feel more paranoid the day before, it just happens and afterwards I feel like I'm back at square one- needing to check I'm safe often. I don't know why I still get them, and I don't want them anymore.

Old 14-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #64
PaleMoon

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrics View Post
*le bump & le question* (because I don't want to make a whole new thread)

Does anybody have any advice for reducing/eliminating nightmares?

Mentally, I feel like I am over the things that happened to me. I'm getting more and more comfortable by the day and less inclined to check things often to be safe. Yet, on random occasions, I will still have very frightening nightmares about it that leave me waking up at stupid-o'clock with my heart racing. There's no pre-warning at all, I don't necessarily feel more paranoid the day before, it just happens and afterwards I feel like I'm back at square one- needing to check I'm safe often. I don't know why I still get them, and I don't want them anymore.
There are a few things that can be done:

Before you sleep: Have a routine. Take a warm bath, read a book or magazine that is neutral or soothing (no mysteries, horror or other upsetting material). Make sure your room is at a comfortable temperature. Make your bed comfortable and inviting. This may help reduce nightmares, and make things less frightening/disorenting when you do wake up from one.

Immediately after a nightmare: Don't attempt to go back to sleep right away. Turn on lights, turn on music or sound, check your closet, whatever you need to feel safe and oriented. Soothe and ground yourself however else you need to. Then distract yourself, again with something quiet and neutral like a book. Go back to sleep when you feel tired, when you feel ready.

In general: Actively resisting the nightmares (staying up late, beating yourself up, etc.) gives them power they don't deserve. You will always wake up, they will always end, and they can't hurt you. Remember how safe you feel during the day--that's what matters.

Good luck, take care of yourself :).

My name is Matt, and I am a boy. Feel free to PM me :)

I have learned that the world is not a safe place. Not at all. But there are so many people who love me and want to keep me safe. And that is enough.

PaleMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #65
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMoon View Post
There are a few things that can be done:

Before you sleep: Have a routine. Take a warm bath, read a book or magazine that is neutral or soothing (no mysteries, horror or other upsetting material). Make sure your room is at a comfortable temperature. Make your bed comfortable and inviting. This may help reduce nightmares, and make things less frightening/disorenting when you do wake up from one.

Immediately after a nightmare: Don't attempt to go back to sleep right away. Turn on lights, turn on music or sound, check your closet, whatever you need to feel safe and oriented. Soothe and ground yourself however else you need to. Then distract yourself, again with something quiet and neutral like a book. Go back to sleep when you feel tired, when you feel ready.

In general: Actively resisting the nightmares (staying up late, beating yourself up, etc.) gives them power they don't deserve. You will always wake up, they will always end, and they can't hurt you. Remember how safe you feel during the day--that's what matters.

Good luck, take care of yourself :).
Thankyou so much! :) Really great suggestions.
I probably should start to create a bedtime routine for myself as mine is pretty much non-existent right now. It's more of a 'jump in to bed when I realise it's much too late to be staying up' tactic! I think my mind is way too active when I try to sleep.

Old 15-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #66
Kittyenna
Pacify her, she's getting on my nerves

I am currently:

I really struggle with nightmares and flashbacks, and even though I'm way too old, I use a nightlight. Doesn't get rid of it completely but it might help ease it a little, even if its just helping you to recognise where you are, you safe etc when you wake up

Hush, little baby, drink your spoiled milk
I'm crazy, need my prescription filled
Do you like my cookies? They're made just for you
A little bit of sugar, but lots of poison, too

Kittyenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #67
ChangelingGirl
Astrid

I am currently:

You are never too old fo ra nightlight. I still sleep with a stuffed animal (or actually, several) at night at 26. It just helps me calm.

I have ohorible fear about going to sleep because I sleep very unquietly, and this fear is perhaps worse than the nightares and other sleep disturbances themselves. Does anyone have tips for this?

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." - Helen Keller

ChangelingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #68
Kittyenna

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfgirl View Post
You are never too old fo ra nightlight. I still sleep with a stuffed animal (or actually, several) at night at 26. It just helps me calm.

I have ohorible fear about going to sleep because I sleep very unquietly, and this fear is perhaps worse than the nightares and other sleep disturbances themselves. Does anyone have tips for this?
I sleep with cuddly toys too, you not the only one (:

Old 25-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #69
risenfromperdition
you are loved and beautiful :)

Quote:
same here.

“The good things don’t always soften the bad, but vice-versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”
“If it’s time to go, remember what you’re leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me.”

risenfromperdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #70
Kittyenna

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfromperdition View Post
same here.
Feel better knowing I'm not one of the only ones! x

Old 28-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #71
LilRed2330

I am currently:

Quote:
You are never too old fo ra nightlight.
Right you are! I'm sixteen and just recently started using my nightlight again and I've been able to sleep more peaceful without freaking out about what's in the dark. And now i'm considering sleep with a teddy bear again. Helps me feel protected.

Every Journey Has An Ending...

LilRed2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #72
RoseofSharon
Can't wait for my next Dancing lesson.

I am currently:

Great tips here.

I sleep with a teddy bear and wrap myself into my duvet like a cocoon. Sometimes I sleep with the light on (usually it's my light on my drawers next to my bed). My bed is placed in the furthest corner away from the door and all furniture is placed in such a way that anyone in my room that shouldn't be would be seen in an instant. I also keep a torch next to my bed so that if I get up to check any strange sounds in the night I don't alert the intruder that I have heard them, by putting on a light that will be a beacon that I'm aware of them.

I never go to bed until I am feeling a little tired. Once I am in bed I write my journal. I love to get my thoughts out and sorted before I try to sleep. once I have finished that I try to sleep and if I cannot I will read my kindle until I do go to sleep. If it takes too long even after reading then I will take a sleeping tablet (which is first port of call after writing my journal if I have to get up early). I agree with the lady who said that Zopiclone is to be treated as golddust. It's harder to get hold of that golddust actually (my docs don't like giving it out much).

RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #73
Kittyenna

I am currently:

I'm on zopiclone right now too, but it doesn't seem to be doing much for me if I'm honest!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #74
DrWatson
Simon

I am currently:

I don't sleep that well, but having my stuffed animals guarding my bed definitely helps. I also hug my pillow sometimes, pretending it's a good person, like my best friend. He's cuddled me to sleep before, and it was the only time in a few years I've had such a good sleep.

I also sleep in my underwear as well as my pyjamas, and a hoodie as well if it's cold. The sensation of clothes makes me feel safer. Also, and this might be specific to me, but I have certain smells that calm me down. There's a particular soap that I always wash my hands with before going to bed, so the smell's still on me. It reminds me of one of my friends, so it helps a lot.

This is something I'm really embarrassed about, but I suck my thumb. It makes me feel like a kid again, before all of this happened :(

'Get out. I need to go to my mind palace.'

'I don't know, I notice.'

DrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #75
risenfromperdition
you are loved and beautiful :)

nothing to be embarrassed about :)
<3

“The good things don’t always soften the bad, but vice-versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”
“If it’s time to go, remember what you’re leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me.”

risenfromperdition is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)