RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
Red Lotus_

I am currently:
*TRIGGER WARNING S.I* I want to tell my parents

Hi everyone!

Apologies for the bluntness but I'm thinking of telling my parents that I self harm. I'm currently in therapy sessions for my PTSD/ Anxiety and I just thought it's time to tell them. However, I am scared senseless! I don't want to upset them and yet I know this will upset them... My parents know I'm not well, but... Am I being selfish by teling them this?

I would like honest opinions, not matter how brutal! My mind is not in the right place, at the moment so I'm unsure if i'm taking a step in the right direction or just being completely selfish and should shut up.

I thank you all for reading this! <3

Red Lotus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 10-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Not many words right now but I really think you've made a good and brave decision to open up to your parents about your self harm, there may be initial upset but ultimately the more they know, the better they can help. Could you perhaps discuss this with your therapist and perhaps they can help/ make suggestions?

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
MyLastKiss

I am currently:

I depends on so many things. How old you are, your relation to your parents etc. So I would say it depends.

MyLastKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
millwall

Sometimes it makes things better (openness) and sometimes it makes things worse when parents get all fixy. You don't want to sound too dramatic because that upsets on cue. Keep things more casual and chitchatty.

millwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 04:07 AM   #5
bitomato

I am currently:

Hey I am not sure what you decided. However, if you are in therapy- do they know that? If so then working with your therapist would probably be best as the therapist might be able to provide you with some literature on self- harm for your parents or even have a session with them and you where they can mediate while you tell them.
I think that it is a big step towards getting them involved in your care. At the same time, like millwall said their response is not predictable- and may be positive or negative. Preparing yourself for either outcome will be very important in ultimately deciding if it is worthwhile.

~Happy tomatoes together we will be~
You say toe- may- toe, I say toe- mah- toe:
Let's call the whole thing- red

It’s time to lead the third revolution, which is not to say we want to be at the top of the world, but to say we want to change the world. Because the way the world has been designed by men is not working. It’s not working for women, it’s not working for men,
it’s not working for polar bears
.” Arianna Huffington 2014

bitomato is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)